New to defenders, some simple (maybe silly) questions: - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
New to defenders, some simple (maybe silly) questions:

Ok, trying to sort through this "new to me" defender i bought. 1988 2.5TD

1st. Is there a friggin glow plug indicator light on this thing? I'm used to just turning the key on for a couple seconds and that usually gets the plugs going, I see no indicator saying they are on. I put a test light on the plug connections themselves and it didn't light. Whats the trick? Not an issue now in 90 degree weather but would like to have it sorted before winter!

2nd. What type of Power Steering fluid do these things take. Of course I dont have a manual so I wasn't sure if its a specific spec.

Lets start with that, I'm sure there will be more shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

There are some pdf files for Tdi engines on the ROVERS club website. If the power steering is the same as the V8's then ATF is what I use.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Its not a TDI.

2.5L TD but thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ok, trying to sort through this "new to me" defender i bought. 1988 2.5TD

1st. Is there a friggin glow plug indicator light on this thing? I'm used to just turning the key on for a couple seconds and that usually gets the plugs going, I see no indicator saying they are on. I put a test light on the plug connections themselves and it didn't light. Whats the trick? Not an issue now in 90 degree weather but would like to have it sorted before winter!
Yes, maybe, no
Depends on whether the motor and glow plugs are original to the truck, if not whether the glow plug timer was installed with the warning light connection, and whether the connection was made on the instrument module which would either be swapped or modified to carry the glow plug cold start light.
There is a schematic on this forum for the glow plug circuit including the instrument light.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

The 19J TD never had a glow plug timer. You turn the key to the point that you almost engage the starter. The glow plug light should come on at that point and you hold there for as long as you want the glow plugs to heat for - most of them need 10-15 secs on the glow plugs to start at all (more in cold weather). Are you turning the key to the point that you will activate the glow plugs??

Power steering on the TD is ATF as above.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Yes, maybe, no
Depends on whether the motor and glow plugs are original to the truck, if not whether the glow plug timer was installed with the warning light connection, and whether the connection was made on the instrument module which would either be swapped or modified to carry the glow plug cold start light.
There is a schematic on this forum for the glow plug circuit including the instrument light.
Ok - lets start with this - what does the glow plug indicator light look like? I'm used to a coil looking light but I dont see any of the sort on the instrument panel... anyone have a picture

Quote:
The 19J TD never had a glow plug timer. You turn the key to the point that you almost engage the starter. The glow plug light should come on at that point and you hold there for as long as you want the glow plugs to heat for - most of them need 10-15 secs on the glow plugs to start at all (more in cold weather). Are you turning the key to the point that you will activate the glow plugs??
By almost engaged you mean just ignition on (but not cranking), or is there a halfway point further than ignition on but not yet at the cranking stage?

Thanks guys!

------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2011 10:14 AM ------

Is it the same symbol as a choke on a lawn mower kinda? I think I can engage that symbol to light up past ignition on but nOt yet at cranking it over. It Started faster when I did that so I think thats it's
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Is it the same symbol as a choke on a lawn mower kinda? I think I can engage that symbol to light up past ignition on but nOt yet at cranking it over. It Started faster when I did that so I think thats it's
Yep. You got it. Give it 10 secs before turning over in the summer and then 20-40 in the cooler/cold weather depending in the temperature. You need a good battery for the really cold weather!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Cool thanks!

on another note, anyone have an estimate of a decent price to replace a rear cross member, assuming the metal to weld to is good and it has the long extensions?

I got a rought estimate of $500 for labor, didn't think it was bad. Especially in NJ.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions