New to defenders, some simple (maybe silly) questions: - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
New to defenders, some simple (maybe silly) questions:

Ok, trying to sort through this "new to me" defender i bought. 1988 2.5TD

1st. Is there a friggin glow plug indicator light on this thing? I'm used to just turning the key on for a couple seconds and that usually gets the plugs going, I see no indicator saying they are on. I put a test light on the plug connections themselves and it didn't light. Whats the trick? Not an issue now in 90 degree weather but would like to have it sorted before winter!

2nd. What type of Power Steering fluid do these things take. Of course I dont have a manual so I wasn't sure if its a specific spec.

Lets start with that, I'm sure there will be more shortly.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
There are some pdf files for Tdi engines on the ROVERS club website. If the power steering is the same as the V8's then ATF is what I use.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Its not a TDI.


2.5L TD but thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
kevkon's Avatar
kevkon
Status: Offline
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chester,nj
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ok, trying to sort through this "new to me" defender i bought. 1988 2.5TD

1st. Is there a friggin glow plug indicator light on this thing? I'm used to just turning the key on for a couple seconds and that usually gets the plugs going, I see no indicator saying they are on. I put a test light on the plug connections themselves and it didn't light. Whats the trick? Not an issue now in 90 degree weather but would like to have it sorted before winter!
.
Yes, maybe, no
Depends on whether the motor and glow plugs are original to the truck, if not whether the glow plug timer was installed with the warning light connection, and whether the connection was made on the instrument module which would either be swapped or modified to carry the glow plug cold start light.
There is a schematic on this forum for the glow plug circuit including the instrument light.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
reb78
Status: Offline
REB
Land Rover 110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 36
The 19J TD never had a glow plug timer. You turn the key to the point that you almost engage the starter. The glow plug light should come on at that point and you hold there for as long as you want the glow plugs to heat for - most of them need 10-15 secs on the glow plugs to start at all (more in cold weather). Are you turning the key to the point that you will activate the glow plugs??

Power steering on the TD is ATF as above.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Yes, maybe, no
Depends on whether the motor and glow plugs are original to the truck, if not whether the glow plug timer was installed with the warning light connection, and whether the connection was made on the instrument module which would either be swapped or modified to carry the glow plug cold start light.
There is a schematic on this forum for the glow plug circuit including the instrument light.
Ok - lets start with this - what does the glow plug indicator light look like? I'm used to a coil looking light but I dont see any of the sort on the instrument panel... anyone have a picture


Quote:
The 19J TD never had a glow plug timer. You turn the key to the point that you almost engage the starter. The glow plug light should come on at that point and you hold there for as long as you want the glow plugs to heat for - most of them need 10-15 secs on the glow plugs to start at all (more in cold weather). Are you turning the key to the point that you will activate the glow plugs??
By almost engaged you mean just ignition on (but not cranking), or is there a halfway point further than ignition on but not yet at the cranking stage?

Thanks guys!

------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2011 10:14 AM ------

Is it the same symbol as a choke on a lawn mower kinda? I think I can engage that symbol to light up past ignition on but nOt yet at cranking it over. It Started faster when I did that so I think thats it's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
reb78
Status: Offline
REB
Land Rover 110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Is it the same symbol as a choke on a lawn mower kinda? I think I can engage that symbol to light up past ignition on but nOt yet at cranking it over. It Started faster when I did that so I think thats it's
Yep. You got it. Give it 10 secs before turning over in the summer and then 20-40 in the cooler/cold weather depending in the temperature. You need a good battery for the really cold weather!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Cool thanks!

on another note, anyone have an estimate of a decent price to replace a rear cross member, assuming the metal to weld to is good and it has the long extensions?

I got a rought estimate of $500 for labor, didn't think it was bad. Especially in NJ.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-Link Suspension Setup questions chrisvonc Defender Technical Discussions 20 July 18th, 2006 10:37 PM
LT230 questions and concerns - bearing failure. kiphartzell Defender Technical Discussions 4 January 13th, 2006 01:56 PM
New to the board, have questions chris snell Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 5th, 2005 05:02 PM
Dumb questions to ask when looking at a defender... Grouchie@irdumb.co Defender Technical Discussions 2 July 6th, 2005 11:31 AM
New differential questions... wicks Defender Technical Discussions 15 May 5th, 2004 11:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Copyright