New Timing Belt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

New Timing Belt

Hello, I just bought a 1994 Defender and the previous owner did not replace the timing belt. it has 69,000 miles on it and im worried its going to bust and mess everything up. what parts do i need, and where can i get them? also how much does it usually run for one of these to be replaced? I saw on here another thread with a $600 quote. sounds about right to me.

Thanks
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

V8 Land Rovers do not have timing belts. They use chains, which do not require service unless the engine has been neglected
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
John, will you do the timing belt on a 300tdi? I'm at 35k on mine and will be moving to NY in a year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

that is by far the best news i have ever heard!!! haha.
thanks so much. and yes you can laugh at such a newbie question!
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

HA!

I was worried about my timing belt. I was going through my records and realized it has never been replaced (like I have known to do on all other cars I have owned). I am an original owner - and feel like a fool for not knowing this!!!!!

This page is a wealth of knowledge - and easy to search things. Thanks everybody for making this page so awesome.

QUESTION: There has been a lot of talk about water pumps lately. I have about 89K miles on the truck. What has everyone had this done. With other cars I am used to doing this when the timing belt is replaced (cause they usually last longer but take the same labor to get to). It is a labor intensive to get to and change as a normal timing belt? Am I well overdue????

Thanks! Flagg.........
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The water pump isn't too bad. If it is your first time I would set aside an entire saturday probably but it isn't really too bad. Easy work, just time consuming your first few times until you learn exactly which size each bolt is etc. As far as when to do it, I would say when it starts leaking or making noise, or if you have a lot of the ancilliaries off sometime and it is old.
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The only real important things to do on the water pump are to make sure the gasket surfaces are really clean, and be very very careful that you keep the right bolts in the right spots. There are 14 bolts holding it on, with two different thread sizes and a bunch of different lengths.

My suggestion is get a piece of cardboard. Draw an outline of the water pump. Punch some holes where the bolts are, and stick them into the cardboard to keep them in order.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
John, will you do the timing belt on a 300tdi? I'm at 35k on mine and will be moving to NY in a year or so.
Jim, you shouldn't have to replace the belt for another 35k.........thats planning ahead ;-).

I generally do the water pump and the silly "P" gasket "while I'm in there" as well as a new serpentine tensioner bearing and flush of the intercooler.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hans -

That sounds like a REALLY great sugestion with the cardboard.........thanks.

Flagg
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
... and flush of the intercooler.

Matt, Anything in particular you use for the flush?
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Matt, Anything in particular you use for the flush?
I remove the intercooler through the top of the rad frame and run it through the parts washer. I suppose that anything that will disolve oil including soapy water would work. Naturally all safety precautions and proper disposal practices should be strictly adhered to.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions