New Thermostat - Jumps to 220 ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

New Thermostat - Jumps to 220 ??

A newly installed thermostat on my NAS 110 3.9 (the old one was sticking in a partially open-closed position) is giving strange temp readings when it is going from cold to fully warmed up. The temp guage (a VDO with real temperatures and no line conditioner) climbs towards 190 as the truck warms up, goes past 190 and continues to climb to 220 before it suddenly drops to 180-185 then settles down to a steady 190. This only happens on a cold/near cold start. This is a second new thermostat and both have done this. The old thermostat would climb to 190 and stay there (until it went bad after about 10k miles). Is this normal? If not, what might be wrong?

PS ... the first new thermostat was an aftermarket and the second new one is a genuine LR.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I was told by a rover tech once to go to NAPA and buy the one that they sell because the LR ones were notoriously bad...just what I have heard though.

However, if you want a Genuine one, I have one new in the box that I am not going to use.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Sure your fan clutch is working perfectly? Most common cause of weird temp fluctuations....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

The viscous clutch is about a year old. Becuase the "jumps to 220 when started from cold" happened immediately after replacing thermostat the new thermostat seems like the target problem. However, because a second new thermostat does exactly the same thing I am uncertain about the cause. Once the truck has warmed up, after making the jump to 220 and then down to 190 it continues to run nice-and-steady at 190 in traffic and on the freeway. It is not very hot here on the coast in Santa Cruz (actually it never gets all that hot) and it is a bit hard to determine if the clutch-fan is working or not, or consistently working. I would ignore the issue but I am concerned it is symptomatic of another problem that will show up at the worst time ... like 110' temps in the desert.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the clutch out to make sure everything is fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
thermostat