New Suspension Set-Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

New Suspension Set-Up

Hey Guys

I've decided to upgrade my tires and suspension. I have BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/As now and they've been a great tire. I have tons of tread left but the side walls are cracked all around on all four running tires and sun cracked on the spare. I was advised that this is very dangerous and could result in a blow out at speed if/when the tire are hot. Obviously this is not a great scenario in any car, especially a D-90 that could have my family in it and I don't think its worth taking a risk. I've decided to go with BF Goodrich All Terrain KOs in a 285/75/16 as my replacement. I love the look of the mud terrains but I think I'll be happier with the KOs when using the truck to commute and driving in the snow.

Questions: Have any of you had cracking on their BFG's? I believe it has happened to me after years of deflating to run on the beach and years sitting over the winter months in a salt air environment. Also, I've been told that 285s will fit stock rims but would love to get a few more opinions.

I've also decided to upgrade my shocks, steering dampener and springs. This summer I noticed some sagging in the rear (ironic as I am personally suffering from the same issue). I was running a trailer hitch load carrier full of beach gear and I was getting some sag with two to three passengers in the rear. I decided to go with Blistein shocks and Pro Comp springs. I'm looking for more ride height (Pro Comps are +2 inches) to go with the bigger tires and I want an OEM like ride. Soft sand and cobblestone roads are the worst my rig sees so I don't need to go super heavy duty. This set-up came recommended and seemed to fit the bill.

Question: Any other opinions or experience on this shock / spring set-up?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652_2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14999  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

looks great... I put a set of 285's on my SW and they look and work out great, good choice.

Old August 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I've never seen anyone run pro-comp springs. I'm interested in what people think of them. Personally, I'd go with the Old Man Emu (OME) springs and bilstein's or the OME shocks as well. The OME springs are well liked for daily drivers and they give just enough lift, 2". The pro-comps may not be as dialed in as the OME's but I wouldn't know since I've never seen them on a D90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
procomps dont make springs. You should look into LR HD springs, or an Old Man Emu setup.
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

Pro Comp does offer springs for the D90:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/sea...&Issubmit=True

I'm planning to buy these springs and Bilstein shocks. Steve at Rovers North is the guy that recommended them. According to Steve, they offer OEM ride and 2 inches of lift. It seems like he really knew what he was talking about.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am thinking those springs are something like Britpart,

http://www.britpart.com/AccessoryCat...ategoryRef=132
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I put the LR heavy duty springs and pro comp shocks on my 90 and liked them much better than the OME springs. the ride was much smoother and I still got a two inch lift. I had used the OME springs on my 1997 D90 and the LR HD's are much better IMO. I think the ride is too harsh and choppy with the OME springs. I bought the setup from Les a RN.
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Go with a pair of Rovertym 2" springs. They are the best out there and a shock of your choice.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Do you need any type of suspension or steering mod if you lift your Defender two inches with OME or Pro Comp or Rovertrym +2 inch springs or can you get along with no major modifications?
Dont you need to change to excentric, special OME bushes when you install OME +2 inch springs?
What about LR HD springs, are they original hight or +2 inches?
THanks for the great comments!
Cheers
Santiago
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I drove a 110 double cab with the Pro Comp springs in it and liked it very much. They are a fairly stiff spring.
Stiffer than Britpart HD's.

I am not a fan of Pro Comp shocks on Defenders- they offer little damping inbound and stiff valving re-bounding. Ie suspension compresses and slowly rebounds. This was a set of the 9000 series- specifically for a 3 inch lift.
Tires cracking is dry rot. Tires are made with a chemical process that continues after they leave the mold-ie they continue to harden. This is accelerated by sunlight and heat. There is a dot date code on every tire that reveals its date of manufacture. If you have BFG's cracking to the point that they aren't safe my guess would be that they are quite old.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:34 AM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

You are 100% correct....they are quite old. I put the new 285/75/16s on yesterday, which look great by the way, and looked at the manufacture date of the old tire. They were manufactured in 1996 so I guess they are original on the car. I guess cracking is to be expected after 13 yrs. New suspension will arrive next week. I'll post pics of the 285s with the extra 2 inches of lift I'll get from the Pro Comp springs and also post my thoughts on how the Bilstein's ride.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have 285's with 3 inches of lift on a 110. Have you noticed that you lost some turning radius yet ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Arnzo
Andrew Arnott
1997 Defender 90

I don't have the new suspension on yet...just the new tires. I have not noticed any reduction in turning radius yet but I am getting some rubbing when the wheel is cranked. I believe an adjustment but I have not searched that topic yet. If turning radius is horrible after I lift the truck, I'll probably run spacers. Do you have a pic on the board of your 110 with lift? Love to see it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions