New Style SW Doors - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp
Yes I bought the new sw doors for my st. Just trying to take them apart.

Brent, what I meant was , like the regular ST but with the push button not SW.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There isnt really an answer I know of except for finesse and care. The channels do bend very easily, and I think a few kinks are inevitable. They also straighten back out well, so you can work and end free and pull that way, just try no to put a hard kink in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

what are you guys doing with the locks?
rekey or jus tmove the barrels from the ST door over (hopefully the solution)
Any Pictures of a speaker install in them?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

There is a thread on here about how to make the new SW doors work with your ignition key so one key will work for you doors and ignition.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
where is the best place to get SW doors?
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Probably Safari Rover

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Anybody know the size of the rivets that hold the bottom seal of these doors on? Figure they are closed end but do not know the size. Another thing, looks as if they were coated or painted in black. Are these special? Part number? Just being lazy I kept a few of the drilled out ones to measure if know one knows. THx
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I just used plastic Christmas tree fasteners from Lowes.

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

on the locks - i ended up farming it out to a locksmith that i have used before - lost 1 wafer per lock and am back to a single key solution.

the doors hung easier than i though (trial fit for now until i can get in for paint, but its white on white anyway) both doors in about 3 hours with adjustments and some rework.

next up is a speaker soltution which i am again farming out but will post the results.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Did anyone get the new hinges, to go with the new door? The new style top hinges seem fine, but I can't figure out the bottoms, they just don't seem to match up. The bulkhead seems fine, but on the door end they are at a crazy angle which doesn't match the contour of the door. I even swapped they over, no dice.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Are you trying them on the correct side?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Neither side looked right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Are you trying them on the correct side?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

I did but still at the painters, will check when I try to mount them. Did notice that they were color coded on back green red blue and yellow. Anybody know what this is all about?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

the hinges all point Up if that makes sense - and the door swing up so that when open they are slightly angled up when locked in the open position. the small side goes up for clarification.

if that makes sense - the are sided and will sit flat with the new doors. i used 2 spacers on the door side and 1 on the bulkhead side and it worked perfectly.

next up is paint for me (exterior only)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Tom,

I just held up my new 08 hinges to my 1984 90 and they seem like they would fit just fine fwiw.

PS got the liftgate packaged and will send it out today
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Going to mount the doors tomorrow. Any advice? Figure I would mount the hinges to the doors first, then line up the bulkhead. As far as black plastic spacers go, has anybody used one per hinge? The ones I took off the old door had two on top hinge door side. Hope I can get away with 8 cause that's all i got and do not want to use old ones, don't fit. Cutting the eight holes for the captive nuts was a pain as well. One other thing, do not bother with the Mud UK ss bolt kit. 4 of the bolts are too long for the top position hinge. They hit the bulkhead and 8 of the bolts are too short to go through the door with a washer. They don't ever come close to gripping the lock nut. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp
Cutting the eight holes for the captive nuts was a pain as well.
This is the first I have heard of having to cut to fit the doors? Please explain with pics if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp
One other thing, do not bother with the Mud UK ss bolt kit.
Did you get the TD5 kit?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

The 8 holes for the spacers. Not hard just a pain. Used dull exacto knife and gas range to heat the blade. The bolts are as shown. Mud Uk bolt is the middle one. All 16 same size. Smaller bolt goes top other bolts go through doors. I'm sending the Mud Uk back. Ordered them from EE.

Follow-up Post:

Another tip: Worked great for me. Cut pieces of duck tape the size of your finger and stick it to the captive nut. Stick the other end to the body. Screw the string this worked much better. Used it to take the old ones out and put the new ones in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	20390  
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Another tip. Trace the outline of the existing captive nuts on the body, mark the center of the nut along side of the body. Remove old ones, replace new ones. Test fit hinge only to make sure they line up. Attach to the door. One person holding door, have another IE my girlfriend screw in the bolts. Maybe I got lucky but fit perfect the first time. Adjusted striker and was set. Now all I have to do is drill speaker hole and will be done. For those of you with new doors this might be a problem. Window frame goes lower on the new style door. I guess to hold the power windows. Might have to move the speaker inward little to get a 6.5 speaker to fit without the back of the magnet touching the window frame. Can anyone chime in on this? Still waiting for the spacers to arrive, will know more then. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Took the truck up to Big Bear yesterday. What a huge difference the new doors made. Them combined with the Badger made the travel a lot more bearable. A lot less road noise and flapping. Thanks Badgerman and safarirover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1245.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	23929  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door