New style breather tube!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90
New style breather tube!!

Hey Everyone. Recently had to pull the RH cylinder head off my 97 D90. It seems back in '99 when the head was pulled by Brithish Motor Car Dist. in San Francisco, something got left behind, in the head!!! Pictures attached. One day while I had the Seafoam out and was cleaning the back of the engine, I saw a breather tube laying flat on the bell housing, grabbed it to pull it up and noticed there was another that seemed to "disappear" into the block. I instantly realized where it was going. The po had complained on several ro's after the head pull of steam form the exhaust...go figure. Turns out it was the ZF extension breather and by my calculations, a full 10" of the breather tube including the hook portion was trapped in the head and burned by cylinders 5 and 7. It went 50k miles without a complete failure..amazing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breathertube1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	3519   Click image for larger version

Name:	breathertube2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3520  

Old August 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
LOL WOW! I guess the Rover V8 is pretty tuff.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions