New steering box and new questions... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
New steering box and new questions...

Okay firstly this is for my wife's '04 disco but figured that the steering is so similar to our stuff that I'd poll the audience here.

The steering was vague, box was leaking and after several adjustments to the pre-load on the box it wouldn't adjust anymore. I ordered a manufactured box from Meridian (that's a whole story too) and after minor cursing and drops of fluid on the garage floor, the "new" box is in. In the process I also bent the ball joint bolt on the drag link, and subsequently replaced the whole drag link and both joints. I've also bleed the crap out of the new system... no bubbles.

The truck drives much better now. Steering is nice and smooth. The problem is that it's only nice when I turn left. When I turn the steering wheel right it's heavy and hard to turn (now to be clear it's still smooth, but it's heavy). It's heavy as if the power steering isn't working. Make sense? I basically need the right side to turn as nicely as the left does now.

Any thoughts here? Are there adjustments to be made? Is this box a dud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Do you have everything centered. Same turn of the wheel left to right? Did you happen to replace the lines?
Old November 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Yes everything is centered now. Initially the steering wheel was little off and I thought maybe I wasn't bleeding the box well enough when I went to right lock. I've centered it and it doesn't bleed any better. At left lock the bleed screw on the box gushes with fluid but it doesn't look the same at right lock. Is that normal?

I didn't replace the lines, just the o-rings. The lines looked fine and they don't leak so I can't imagine that would cause any issues, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It could be a blocked line or a blocked passage in the box or something messed up anywhere in the system really. It is certainly possible the reman is bad. Maybe as meridian what they think? Their customer service has been top notch in my experience.
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It could be a blocked line or a blocked passage in the box or something messed up anywhere in the system really. It is certainly possible the reman is bad. Maybe as meridian what they think? Their customer service has been top notch in my experience.
Just got off the phone with Scott from Meridian and that's exactly what he was thinking: maybe a blocked valve in the box that doesn't let fluid in the box when the wheels go right.

His solution was to drive it around for a few days to see if it loosens up (they set them pretty tight and he thought maybe if it loosened up it would act better. If it doesn't get better I am looking at another box- under warranty at least...

Scott at Meridian has been great throughout this, but this is already my second meridian box in as many weeks. I am not going to be happy if I have to pay another core charge, wait another week for shipping and then reinstall another box.

I am still open to new ideas if anyone has any. Also if anyone wants a black 2004 Disco I am now open to offers.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Not sure Mike. Was the first box you got from them defective too? That seems really odd and really bad luck or you have another issue.

I have seen people bleed them with the front axle in the air and moving the wheel side to side (I think the manual mentions this, but I could be conflating vehicles). My experience is that they are not the easiest thing to bleed when dry but I was dealing with earlier boxes so YMMV.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
The threads on the output shaft of the first box were messed up and the nut wouldn't turn on them at all. I sent it back without ever installing it. It just sucks that it takes so long to go back and forth from Cali.

I did bleed the system as per the Rave instructions with the front of the truck on jack stands, turning the wheel from lock to lock. I did the procedure >40 times and used the entire gallon bottle of fluid. I don't see any bubbles anymore either.

However maybe this is like replacing the clutch cylinders and there is never enough bleeding.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post

However maybe this is like replacing the clutch cylinders and there is never enough bleeding.
I don't know. After watching a tech struggle to replace one, I filled mine up through every oriface and then it was fine with a relatively easy bleed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions