new soft top help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverC View Post
Zack,
you should let them know as on their page:

http://www.exmoortrimusa.com/stockists/

it says:

Stockists of Exmoor Trim USA Products

Stocking Partners

Safari Heritage Parts
6367 East Colonial Dr
Suite A, Orlando
FL 32807
info@safarihp.com

Rovers North, Inc.
The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts
1319 Vermont Rt. 128
Westford, Vermont
802.879-0032
email@roversnorth.com
Thank you Cliff, we do know about that. We wanted to be an available outlet for customers of ETUSA.

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2013 09:18 AM ------

Also, to clear up some incorrect info I've read in this thread and others, I'd like to make a few things clear.

1. The Rovers North top was designed by Rovers North. Rovers North approached Badger Coachworks to produce a NAS Soft top.
2. After around a year of business Badger Coachworks was unable to fulfill the purchase order of 50 soft tops RN had ordered.
3. Rovers North took our design to another company domestically to produce a top that could be well-made in a reasonable amount of time.
4. There was mention in another thread regarding the other supplier using Badger Coachworks RN logo on the tops, this is an absolute lie. Badger made that badge, and would have never sent it to us without a top underneath it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Also, to clear up some incorrect info I've read in this thread and others, I'd like to make a few things clear.

1. The Rovers North top was designed by Rovers North. Rovers North approached Badger Coachworks to produce a NAS Soft top.
2. After around a year of business Badger Coachworks was unable to fulfill the purchase order of 50 soft tops RN had ordered.
3. Rovers North took our design to another company domestically to produce a top that could be well-made in a reasonable amount of time.
4. There was mention in another thread regarding the other supplier using Badger Coachworks RN logo on the tops, this is an absolute lie. Badger made that badge, and would have never sent it to us without a top underneath it.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I have had several RN tops ( came with the trucks i purchase) and can say from my experience the Badger is superior
They will hold their value longer and if there is an issue you can pick up the phone and talk to the guy that made it.
Last I heard lead time was 3 months for a top.
Rovers North took our design to another company domestically to produce a top that could be well-made in a reasonable amount of time.
I wasn’t aware that RN had an in house design center for their tops ,very cool….
Thomas contact me off line…
I have had every top made for a defender and give you the low down…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Not like they are creating a whole new design. The tops look like the standard top.

As to material, I am wondering what Chris uses now?

As I mentioned, mine has fallen apart from very little use, and didnt fit well at all.
The back window area was so loose, I had to stuff towels between the body and the window to keep it in the channel. If I didnt it was about 2" too long.

I had ordered mine a year in advance, told Chris I was going on a month long trip and was assured it would arrive before I left. It actually arrived the day after I planned to leave, then didnt fit. So there was allot of air gaps etc.
Waiting a year, it arriving late, then not fitting was rather disappointing, especially for the price paid. I have the gutter kit.

I liked the color though.

RN says they make it out of Stay fast. But the same company makes Stay fast, Twill Fast and Sonneland.
http://www.haartz.com/en/products/co...le_topping.asp

They make a cool acoustic top material that would really benefit our trucks. There is a audio link to hear the differences in material.

I am also rethinking the gutter kit as while yes it holds the top tighter, (though mine has sagged massively in between them) I dont like it when the top is off. I painted them black, but that piece of metal over my head... It would be nice if someone created a 2 part version so you could remove the curved metal. Mine never leaked with the standard plastic top though, until it ripped. Im not so fond of the look of the metal frame when the top is off and windows out, though I have a way to remove that quickly.

I can understand why RN would have someone else make the tops. Who except a few really die hard enthusiasts would wait a year for a top, or a part or ? Especially when its a major part. They have to fill orders, thats how they make money.

Hopefully Chris can salvage mine somehow, add larger side windows that zip and roll up, fix the fraying material, replace the rusted buckles and tighten the sagging. Him being so behind on new ones, I can only imagine if and when he could get around to mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags