New Shock Absorber advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Robert (Bob) Mills
97 D-90 SW
New Shock Absorber advice

I have a 97 Defender 90 SW with about 87K on the Odometer. Doing the basic shake side to side test yields what I sense to be excess play or give in the shocks in that the vehicle will continue to move side to side 2-3 times prior to coming to a complete rest. The rebound test (pushing down on the bumpers) yields the same result.

Is it time to replace the stock shocks? and if so, what OE or aftermarket set up most closely matches the stock set up? I envision light to moderate off roading in Missouri and North West Arkansas and do not see the need to lift it so as to be able to rock crawl or anything like that.

I am sure this will stir up a lot of opinions and maybe some controversy as to the optimal set up.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Gore Ranger
1989 RRC
Most people that are just replacing their stock shocks with something comprable seem to go with Old Man Emu or Bilstein shocks in the stock length. They can be had from all the vendors for around the same price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions