New Roof Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
New Roof Rack

Hi Guys,
I'm on the lookout for a roofrack for my 90. I shipped it fror the UK and has a Safety Devices "Camel Trophy" internal/external rollcage. This differs from the standard NAS D90 cage as the upper bars go further up and over in to the roof, the NAS spec cages go along the roof line.

I like the Hannibal roofrack, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. Compare the photo here:

http://www.hannibalusa.com/images/ro...Defender/3.jpg
*******http://www.hannibalusa.com/images/roofracks/LR-Defender/3.jpg*********

to my 90 here:

http://indigoprime.com/photos/2003-0...rain%20028.htm
*******http://indigoprime.com/photos/2003-07-CO-ROVERS/images/2003-7-StVrain%20028.jpg*********
and you can see the difference.

So my question is has anyone fitted a Hannibal rack to a 90 with the SD "Camel" rollcage fitted? Or any recommendations on others that will fit?

Thanks,
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
You gotta be kidding?!

Damn... you mean a genuine CT 110 is right in my 'hood? Can I be your new best friend?

Oh, and as far as your question goes, from the looks of the pictures, it could be a real tight fit. You can always go to a local welder/fabricator and somehow get extensions for the legs. If it doesn't fit, take much to get it to fit with a good fab/welder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:57 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Ahh, not quite. The 110 is in the UK, I have a NAS 90 in NY, and another in Colorado. It'd be great to pullup in front of some of my favourite restaurants in Manhattan in the 110!

I'd love to have the 110 here at some point, perhaps if I ever get around to the Trans-Am trip! I use the 110 in Africa, so it's better if it lives in the UK.

I have some photos up on the website though, check it out in my .sig.

Thanks for the help too, beem getting similar replies, seems like getting one fabbed may be the best option.

Cheers,
Nick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2004, 10:21 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Nick, killer pictures! You have to send those in for a bio here on the site. Definiatly would like to add that super sexy 110 to the gallerys.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
wheres the 110?
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Suddenly my life seems very dull......
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Rocktropolis
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Nick,

Back to your question. According to the pictures you have given us, it would fit. You just need to do a little extra fab. If I were you, I would remove the bars all together and just mount the roof rack. From what it looks like those bars are not going to help much at all if you ended tire up. IMO.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

David, I have the exact same cage on my 90, & I can guarantee that if you did go arse over tit that cage would be plenty strong enough. It is a Safety Devices full MSA approved 6 point cage, fixed to the chassis. Inside what you can't see is a massive rear hoop arrangement (much, much beefier than the NAS cage) that picks up the roof bars (sandwiching the roof) this then bolts through the floor to pick up the chassis. You also have diagonal bracing, each side fixed to the body capping of the rear tub.
The roof bars are a one tube assembly that is fixed all the way down the bulkhead & bolted to the outrigger. The outer & inner wings have to be cut to install.
You then have the 2 horizontal tubes above & below the windscreen.
The disadvantage of this cage is no real protection for passengers in the very back of the vehicle. As I don't carry passengers this isn't an issue for me. You also have to put up with a bit more cosmetic damage than with a full exo cage.
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well,

I can't speak for the inside because I can't see it. Might be extremely beefy, sounds like more than enough. Just looking at the bars on the outside, you hit them on the side and they will fold over. More for looks than anythig else. They might help a little, but if you removed them, still not a big deal.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 17th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

I've wheeled with Nick and seen his D90 up close and personal - it's the best vehicle-dependent expedition rig I've ever seen, that cage is beef and looks much stronger than the NAS version.

Nick, hurry up and get a bio to Chris
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

David, you can't remove those bars. You would also have to remove the screen surround bars. that would leave you with just the rear hoop.
There is no way they will move with a side impact, they are anchored at 5 points each side. I have had my 90 leaning on trees resting on those bars & have used a tirfor (hand winch) on them to pull it upright. They do not budge.

Brett
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

okay, brett, check out rollcage in chit chat.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Thanks Art, flattery will get you everywhere, or at least get you a beer!

Iíve posted a picture of the internal cage on the rollcage thread in chitchat.

Iíll get the Bio done and get some better truck photos on my website.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

Nick, back on topic!
I know you like the Hannibal rack but have you considered the Camel Trophy Rack? I'm not sure if it was made by Brownchurch, I know they made the Bullbar?

Do you need a full rack for a roof tent or something? Another option would be a half rack at the back if you just need extra load space.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack