new rear axle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

new rear axle

After replacing the 3.5 ltr. V8 to 4.6 ltr., it is now time to modify the brake system.
Front to vented disk brakes is not a problem, more the rear.
The 110 , 1985 rear axle is a Salisbury with drum brakes.
I want a complete axle swap, but want to keep the "Salisbury strength".
The early RRC's have 10 splines, but the later ones have the stonger 24 splines/ diffs.
Do you know guys which year/type Range Rover or maybe Discovery axle I can choose, or do you have an other solution?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Just get a newer Salisbury out of a 110, they switched to discs around 94/95 and are 24 spline. It's a direct swap.
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

Thank you for your reply Wistler 110,

I knew that the later 110 300 TDi and the early TD5 used them , but only for a while, and and very hard to find in Holland. That's why I was looking for an alternative.
Is a Rover axle with an upgrade 4-pin diff and 24 splines shaft ( ashcroft ) the best solution?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It won't be a bolt in. You'll need a longer propshaft. The spring mounts will need to be changed over. The R&P will still be a weak point. A lot of work to give a weaker axle for the goal of changing to disc brakes.

Why do you want discs so badly?
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:01 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

keep the sals and mount RRC front calipers to it with discs.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

Thanks for the reply Red 90 , JSQ

I need the discs, because brake system of the 110 was enginered for a 3,5 ltr. engine, now a have a 4,6 ltr injection which runs like Speedy Gonzales, okay you may say handle the gas trottle with care.....

What JSQ suggests is not possible, the shafts won't fit.
A weld-on system is also no option, this because of strick regulations in Holland.

That's why I was thinking of a Rover axle with upgraded diff/shafts.

We all know that the Salisbury axle is the strongest one which Land Rover has, or better said had.
But what makes the Salisbury stonger/better, compared with the standard Rover axle?

maybe you guys will have a solution for me.

cheers.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jan, contact www.equicar.co.uk They will have what you are looking for.

Randy
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The rear drum system stops the truck remarkably well. I have 37's and rear drums, sure there a bitch when it comes time to tinker with them but you will not notice any significant gain by changing to disks. Keep in mind that an average car relies 60% on the front brakes. In trucks like ours I would guess it is closer to 65-70% Get some vented rotors and upgraded pads for the front and call it a day. As to your other question, the sals has an uber beefy r+p, but other than that, it is as weak as any other Rover axle.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As stated, rear discs won't increase braking ability. The drums braking ability is as good as the discs. The only real advantage to discs is they don't wear as quickly if used in a lot of mud. Make sure the drums are adjusted properly. They are manually adjusted as apposed to most cars which have auto adjusters.

Most braking in any vehicle comes from the front brakes. The later style vented front brakes are better. You can switch to these buy changing calipers or adding a specer in the caliper body.

As to strength. The Salisbury axle uses a 4 pinion Dana 60 center with a Dana 60 R&P. Basically unbreakable is any Rover application. The halfshafts are standard Rover 24 spline though and are not that strong. It is possible to change to Dana 30 or 35 spline which then makes it strong enough for anything.

This is a picture of a 4 pinion Rover diff next to a Salisbury diff.
http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/...rive_part1.jpg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle