Defender Source Forum banner

New Radio

Tags
radio
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Knobber 
#1 ·
The stock radio finally gave out on me. Thinking about replacing it with a Pioneer unit. Anything I should look out for? Is it as simple as bypassing the factory amp?

Thanks,

Joe

#2 ·
You'll have to replace the metal sleeve in the console with one that matches the Pioneer's attaching points. Depending which model you get you'll have to replace one or both of the stock harness plugs. No Pioneer unit I have seen has the rubber bung mounted on the bottom of it like the stock RTC7788 unit does, either. (Is used to stabilize unit on the floor of the console and take a little stress off the console radio mount opening).

You might also check out Roverville (in Texarkana) if refurbishing your stock unit is an option. They've done 3 units for me now, and they work great.

#3 ·
I thought about refurbing the original, but can't think of any good reason to go that route. I mostly listen to my iPod so an iPod interface that the Pioneer has would be fantastic.

Anything else I need to consider?

#4 ·
I run Pioneers in the rover. When i installed the first one I unscrewed the plastic radio cover in the console and pulled it and the radio out. Slipped the new radio with sleeve back in the console and wired the new harness in. Easy peasy.

#6 ·
Joe P said:
I thought about refurbing the original, but can't think of any good reason to go that route. I mostly listen to my iPod so an iPod interface that the Pioneer has would be fantastic.

Anything else I need to consider?
Maybe check out ECR's site for ideas? They reference iPod installs quite a bit.

#7 ·
" run Pioneers in the rover. When i installed the first one I unscrewed the plastic radio cover in the console and pulled it and the radio out. Slipped the new radio with sleeve back in the console and wired the new harness in. Easy peasy."

1994s came with pioneers which is why it was so easy.

#9 ·
evilfij said:
" run Pioneers in the rover. When i installed the first one I unscrewed the plastic radio cover in the console and pulled it and the radio out. Slipped the new radio with sleeve back in the console and wired the new harness in. Easy peasy."

1994s came with pioneers which is why it was so easy.
Actually the PO had installed an aftermarket.

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
3.5mm Ipod Auxiliary jack by Roverville-Radio Repair & Exchange:

GYM said:
You'll have to replace the metal sleeve in the console with one that matches the Pioneer's attaching points. Depending which model you get you'll have to replace one or both of the stock harness plugs. No Pioneer unit I have seen has the rubber bung mounted on the bottom of it like the stock RTC7788 unit does, either. (Is used to stabilize unit on the floor of the console and take a little stress off the console radio mount opening).

You might also check out Roverville (in Texarkana) if refurbishing your stock unit is an option. They've done 3 units for me now, and they work great.

Kudos to Roverville: Been there too....is a great place, top quality work, great turnaround and great service: Absolutely Love my face installed iPod, MP3, iPhone, etc., jack they installed!

Just wanted to share:http//www.roverville.us they have a shop in Arkansas/Texas & in UK.

At Roverville-usaI had an ipod/MP3 Auxiliary jack installed in the face of my OEM radio (1996 P-38 Range Rover and it looks factory and sounds fantastic... and to top it off it lets me keep my existing CD changer in line & working, I lost nothing and still gained iPod... an auxiliary jack in the face off my Factory Clarion Diversity radio which is very similar to the stock radio I had in my D-90. I actually use it for my iPhone 3G; works perfectly. The system Roverville designed and now offer I just plug the jack in and the iPod plays through my stereo direct…. so no FM modulation or cassette tape adaptors and all controls on the stereo still work and the steering wheel, only thing I have to do is select the songs on the iPhone… I always set to shuffle anyway, Is great! I never looked back and so I highly recommend Roverville for your Ipod type connection and their excellent and speedy Rover stereo repairs/exchange/sales etc . BTW My radio had not worked for about a year until I found these guys by simply typing into Google: Range Rover radio repair. When I contacted them by e-mail: Roverville-usa@valornet.com or Roverville-uk@valornet.com (depending on your location in the world) they replied with easy to follow instructions & pictures…. so I pulled the radio out myself :biggrin: . They make it so easy with their pics and instructions and they offered me their new iPod feature at 1/2 price with repair. You can see pics on their website of some units with jacks in place, too cool! : http//www.roverville.us

They do a 3.5mm Ipod auxiliary jack install for just about all Land Rovers! Clean and simple, all you see is the jack socket inthe face of the radio like all high end new cars have today

Best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.