New problems with importing a Land Rover (be carefull) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Thumbs up New problems with importing a Land Rover (be carefull)

I am quite new on this site. My wife and me just moved from The Netherlands to Rockford, Michigan.

In the time I am reading this site I learned a lot from the stories about importing Land Rovers from Europe. Having done it myself two years ago with a Land Rover 88', I wasn't to afraid doing this again.

For those being interested, read my following experiences as I have never seen these before on this site and they might be helpfull for some of you.

Having a 1983, 110 stationwagon (completely restored with a 2.8TGV)it shouldn't give to many problems I thougt. How could I be wrong....

Having this car for some time already, I thought letts put it in a container in The Netherlands, together with other moving stuff and adress it to oiur new adress in Michigan. Easy. Container would be shipped through Montreal, Canada (don't ask me why but this was the cheapest way) and from there trucked to Michigan.

Yesterday it should have arrived. No, it didn't. Instead of that a phonecall saying customs did an inspection at the container, or better the load of the container. Nobody new how, why or how long this was going to take. After such a phonecall everything is going through your head, will they beleve it being 25 years old, is the brand-new 2.8TGV not EPA, is paperwork ok or are the 4 bottles of wine also packed in the container to much....

No, nothing of this all, after a night of no-sleep we heard it were the tires. There was a problem with the tires of the Land Rover. Really you wouldn't beleve it but there was MUD on tires........and it is not allowed to import MUD into the States.
Too make a day-long story short. the container is refused acces into the States, needs to go back from Detroit do Toronto, the tires of the car needs to be cleaned there in a bounded warehouse by a certified company. Only then it can go back on transport and try to reenter the States.

Only the bills I received today, customs, truck driver waiting hours and transport back to Toronto are going to exceed the total costs of transport from door-to-door The Netherlands-USA (and I can tell you, that wasn't cheap !). Everybody there knows I don't have a choise and need thier service. I really get the impresion almost everybody(no, there is an exemption, I have very good brooker helping me out; thanks Donna) takes advantage of this.
Everythinh seems to be arranged now only I have to find a solution how they can get the cars out. The cars are locke, I have the keyes and the batteries are disconnected. Good thing I always think there is a solution for everything.

So everybody willing to import something from Europe, be sure you don't import any mud and have your tires are clean. :o)

I will keep you informed about any progress in this.
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Sounds somewhat familiar...the biggest issue I had in importing my 110 had nothing to do with the EPA, NHTSA etc, it was a USDA reg.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&highlight=110

Good luck.

-Paul
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

We have the same in Canada, all our imports that aren't new have to be spayed clean with cleaning agent and all that crap for 400$ only when the certified company clears it, it is released by the customs and good to go.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Common issue.
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ask anybody that has ever deployed with the US military to Iraq. Before the unit can return, all gear must be cleaned of every single bit of dirt. Not even the government can escape the vigilance of the government.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
We have the same in Canada, all our imports that aren't new have to be spayed clean with cleaning agent and all that crap for 400$ only when the certified company clears it, it is released by the customs and good to go.

Pat
Actually I just paid 25ukp at the steam cleaner at the pier in Southampton when I dropped it off. No problems, though I have dumped a fair bit of mud on the shop floor anyway as things come apart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Same thing with wood.
If you import product X and it comes on a pallet, or in a crate, the pallet or crate must be made of approved and stamped wood, otherwise it gets kicked back to country of origin. Don't ask how I know this. :-(

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

My 72 Series III 109 was steam cleaned prior to being loaded in the container in Slovenia. It is a must do to avoid problems.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Actually I just paid 25ukp at the steam cleaner at the pier in Southampton when I dropped it off. No problems, though I have dumped a fair bit of mud on the shop floor anyway as things come apart
Same here, every truck still has tons of dirt even though they are steamed clean.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import, problems