New Owner with a couple of questions. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

New Owner with a couple of questions.

Hello,

I am happy to say that last week I finally picked up a 97 D90. Thankfully, the truck has spent its life in Texas and rust is very minor and surface at best. I have a couple of questions and was hoping people could chime in:

1)The vent pipe on the gas tank is starting to crack. I am going to replace the line; which means I need to drop the tank. Should I replace the entire line or just splice in a new piece? Any other things I should be looking for (besides rust) while everything is taken out? Hints or tricks?
2)I have the classic LED fading on the speedometer. From what I can gather, the data ribbon is the problem. Is this something that I can fix or do I need to have it repair professionally? Can some one point me to a write up?
3)The oil pan gasket needs to be replaced. Is there an actual gasket or RTV?

I appreciate the help and many thanks in advance!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1. I would splice/patch with the tank in situ.
a. If you take it out, replace the fuel tank skid plate with an alloy, galvanized or stainless stell one.
2. eastcoastrover has a write up
3. RTV: use right stuff which I believe is made by permetex.

Ron
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Nick, after reading ECR's take on the speed I rotated my speedo clockwise slightly so the ribbon is stretched a bit. Worked like a charm for me.

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40
Nick, after reading ECR's take on the speed I rotated my speedo clockwise slightly so the ribbon is stretched a bit. Worked like a charm for me.

Clay

Clay; could you elaborate on this? You're not talking about rotating the speedo itself in the instrument cluster, right?
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

You can also just send your speedo to ECR and they will repair and keep the correct milage showing so as not to affect the value of your D90.

x2 on RTV: The Right Stuff.

Be sure to check your oil cooler lines as well, ECR has a great section on this subject.

Congrats on your purchase!

Doc Holliday
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Thanks for all the replies. As for ECR they wanted $600 plus to fix. I was thinking that if it was simply the ribbon than maybe someone had hunted down the correct ribbon and simply swapped them out.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736
Thanks for all the replies. As for ECR they wanted $600 plus to fix. I was thinking that if it was simply the ribbon than maybe someone had hunted down the correct ribbon and simply swapped them out.
Nick:
Might be cheaper to buy a new speedo. I haven't priced one in a couple of years, but last I checked it was less than $600. (BTW, I had ECR do one of my speedos and it works perfectly - but that was a while ago, too and it didn't cost $600...)
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I've never had it done, but I'm pretty sure it says right on the site that Mike'll do it just for shipping cost...
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736
I sent my speedo to ECR last year. It was 500 plus shipping. I did this after trying to do it myself. I'm pretty technical and - as most D90 owners are - not afraid of diving in - but it was a bitch and I ended up not being able to fix it myself. If there is nothing wrong with it then my personal opin is to keep it so it's with the truck and won't be questioned. New they are 500 as well and you can get an aftermarket one (prob better one!) for less. Again, in the end I opted to keep the existing one and to cough up the 500 bucks. 500 seemed crazy to me and 600 seems ludicrous considering they can probably do it in minutes but I took the plunge. Do note that it's still recording mileage even if the LCD flickers/dies so you can always do it later.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

http://eastcoastrover.com/speedo.html

Scroll to the bottom.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Chris,
I emailed them to clarify the note about no longer working on them. The said they would do it with plenty of notice so they could hunt down the part(s).
On a brighter note; I got the vent tube on the gas tank patched up. Now onto the oil leaks.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

That answers that . Dropping the pan gives you a good chance to clean out any sludge too. Two birds with one stone.

Good luck with your projects. It's great to get to know your truck.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Sorry Chris for the delayed response. Yes, what I did is twited/turned my speedo clockwise maybe a half inch and it was enough to make the problem go away. Maybe dumb luck but I'm not touching it.

I've had another freakish thing work my way on my SW rear door. It was sagging and very very difficult to open. I was about to order a tire carrier to take the weight off when I decided to adjust the latch. I back the screws/bolts off a bit hit with a hammer and tightened them back down. Worked perfectly. Rear door is still working like new going on three years now. Again, maybe dumb luck.

Clay
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
You'd probably be best getting a new speedo and making sure you confirm the change with your state's dmv. Give SafariRover (www.safarirover.com) a call, Stephen can get you the parts at a reasonable price. Footwork for the legal stuff is yours, but I can't imagine it would cost you more in your time than mailing the old one to ECR.

S-P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
new owner