New owner in CO w/ locker question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 13th, 2005, 11:00 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

New owner in CO w/ locker question

Just bought a 94 D90. Drooled over them for 10 years now, so about time I got with the program. Also own a short wheelbase Mercedes G series (1981 turbodiesel) which frankly is probably a slightly better all-round vehicle, just nowhere near the cool factor of the D90.

Now for the question (if I didn't offend folks too much with the Mercedes comment)....

The dealer that I took the vehicle to for the prepurchase checkup advised against putting lockers on the front.

Is this because a) there is something fundamentally weaker in the front on the Rover that it can't handle the additional stress on one wheel in the front, b) most people use way to much throttle and try to turn with the front lockers engaged, or c) he's just being conservative since most folks will get by fine with only rear lockers?

Looking for some real world experience on the issue. Lockers on the front of a G are no big deal since the truck doesn't have enough power to do any damage to the axles in front and the axles are way overbuilt to begin with.

BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2005, 11:49 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Welcome to the dark side BT!!
There are several things that you will find are pretty wimpy in the diffs of our favorite cars.. First the axle shafts, notoriously weak and will snap like a dry twig if you do anything moderatly abusive with a locker, this is both front and rear... Next is the front CV joints which in the Disco's and D 90's a pretty weak unit, mainly because of the tiny axle diameter in the star (bout and inch)
In both cases I have seen Tru Trac Limited slip diff break both ends.. Not to rain on anyones parade but if you leave the axles as stock with lockers it's a ticking trail bomb..

As to what lockers, in a 90 I always suggest selectable, Detroits are just too brutish for such a light short car. ARB's As for gears don't go lower than 4.11 if you put big tires on, the 4.75 selection will live but again a time bomb if you use the throttle in the rocks..

Other than that the drive trail is pretty tough, the R380 is okay (keep the oil changed) and the LT230 while it leaks a bit is one very tough t case..

If you want to put on 37's and start doing 10+ rated trails you better call..

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Welcome to the board! Spend some time here and soon you will realize that Kieth has no clue what he is talking about. We all know he's full of it. It's not like he sells Rover stuff or something! These trucks are unbreakable, period. Put a spool in the front and 40's, then hammer away.

Sorry, I had to. Nothing like a good hazing. Congrats on the Rover

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Lockers are always a bad idea in the front axles on full-time 4wd vehicles, regardless of how well the axles are made. On solid pavement, they can seriously degrade handling and steering, especially at highway speeds.

That's the main reason ARB's are so popular in the Defender crowds, because they can be selectively locked and unlocked. Safe, smooth handling on the highway, grip of god on the trail. But as mentioned previously, you would want to upgrade the axle strength as well in order to prevent other problems from occuring.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:26 AM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Just bought a 94 D90. Drooled over them for 10 years now, so about time I got with the program. Also own a short wheelbase Mercedes G series (1981 turbodiesel) which frankly is probably a slightly better all-round vehicle, just nowhere near the cool factor of the D90.

Looking for some real world experience on the issue.

BT
snosrfr says "dump the mercG." not because the D is superior (which it is) but because it acts as any superior beast, it will piss on your paper, shit in your slipperz and render useless the MercG and leave it headless and flopping...

sorry, d-loyalist ranting Right there

welcome to the crowdless crowd bro, go arb's fore and aft, never-u-mind the leakin' to quote mr. Ragland,

"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."

like's i said, arb's fore and aft... no worreez

you in now
-snosrfr

now ya gotta look for badger tops, rockware protection, and a snorkel on top... not to mention 3-link conversion - it's the bug baby! oh, and mayhaps sum beafy shock hoops and sum real meaty swamperz...
(ugghhhh, i'm spent...) g e t s u m badger ware's......... <gasp, burp... point.............>

-snosrfr

afterthought, "neverrrr drink and post at the same time...."
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Welcome to the board! Spend some time here and soon you will realize that Kieth has no clue what he is talking about. We all know he's full of it. It's not like he sells Rover stuff or something! These trucks are unbreakable, period. Put a spool in the front and 40's, then hammer away.

Sorry, I had to. Nothing like a good hazing. Congrats on the Rover
OMG that was funny
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Welcome to the D90 world. I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I have over the last 11 years. I have worked on these vehicles for over 10 years and installed a lot of lockers. ARBs are the most popular. I installed one Detroit and found it to be brutal. Tru tracks are ok but not aggressive enough for most people and can cause handling and tire wear issues. I have always recommended to my customers to put an ARB in the rear first and use the truck and then make up their own mind as to whether the cost of a front locker is justified based on the trails that they like to do. I have run a rear ARB since new and find that I wish I had a front locker about once a season...not enough to justify the cost for the driving I do. Also, it is relatively easy and cheap to beef up the rear axle shafts and not generally a big disaster if one breaks. The front will cost a lot more to beef up to handle more than occasional use of the locker, and if you lose a CV joint, the resulting collateral damage to the swivel ball, bearings, seals, and knuckle can get pretty expensive. Hope that helps.
Rob
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:50 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

ARB front and rear. Rewire them so you can use them independently, if you plan to wheel hard enough that you need lockers, replace your front and rear half shafts! Keith at Rover Tracks as well as Bill at Great Basin rovers have very strong replacements.
Good luck with the truck, and welcome to the dark side (as Keith put it)
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:18 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

ARB are the best

Stock axels will stay alive if you run stock tire sizes or close, and never let your wheels bounce when they start to slip.

If you go biiger than 285-75 16 (33's) and Bounce your way up ledges, you will start upgrading parts..... if you want to or not.

Oh ya Welcome Aboard.

Dealers in the Southern area of Denver Don't Know sh!t about anthing thats not a current model.

http://www.solihullsociety.org/ Join the rest of the local knuckle heads.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Brian, welcome to the world of D90 ownership. This website is a great resource for new owners.
Here's a link to the Land Rover Colorado Yahoo group if you're interested in local Rover-related topics. There are about 100 or so on the list and many are members of the local club. Just in case you need more Land Rover stimuli.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/landrovercolorado/

Regards,
Art
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
david_jackson
Dave Jackson
97 Defender 90 SW

I installed a Detroit locker in the rear of my '97 SW last year and have been very happy with it. I hear a series of clicks when I make a tight turn in a parking lot, but that's a minor issue for me. The Detriot is a fit-and-forget solution that works for me here in California. There have been many posts on this subject, and you can search the D-90 Source to read everyone's comments. You can always contact Great Basin Rovers to get their opinion; I think they sell many types of lockers as well as hardened axles. Welcome! Dave
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

"Spend some time here and soon you will realize that Kieth has no clue what he is talking about."

True or not you could have at least spelt my name right David!!!!

Keith

Old September 14th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ahh whatever,

I'll make it up to you when I buy a bunch of your junk.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:25 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Thanks for the insights

So after reading the assembled wisdom and balancing my checkbook, here's what the final setup is going to be:

ARB front and rear, 4.10 gears to make going up the hill between Denver and Evergreen a bit more tolerable, and a lower ratio gearset for the t-case. Stock axles for now since a) I drive like a grandma off-road, b) I never bounce the front end with the lockers engaged, and c) I can't afford it right now since I've spent far more on this than I'll ever admit to my wife.

That's all I need, just the t-case gears, lockers, and 4.10 gears. Oh, and this upgraded axle, and that's all I need. Oh, and AC. I need AC. And some skid protection, and that's all I need.....

Oh, and a couch to sleep on when my wife reads this.

Thanks for all the insights.

-BT
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:50 AM
little black duck
Michael Jude
2004/D90 Td5

Welcome aboard

I have a question on the line of lockers

Most of the LR nuts around hear all swear by Maxi Drive Diffs and Axle upgrades, do you get them in the USA?

Michael
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by little black duck
Welcome aboard

I have a question on the line of lockers

Most of the LR nuts around hear all swear by Maxi Drive Diffs and Axle upgrades, do you get them in the USA?

Michael

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Great Basin Rovers axles Maxi-drive ones?
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

you are correct, the axles and flanges are made by Maxi-Drive in Australia.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You could save a bunch of $$$ and just do a Toyota swap in the diffs right off the bat... Costs more up front in $$$ and Elbow grease but it will last longer..

Shameless plug..

Keith

Buy My Junk Dave!!

Old September 15th, 2005, 08:59 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Now I like that idea Keith. But if you're going to that trouble, why not some mog or volvo portals to get some clearance under there? I bet you could source them for not too much more (relatively speaking of course, hehe)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
new owner