New Owner / Engine Issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM
scolvus.x
John Lomax
94 ST

New Owner / Engine Issues

I purchased a 94 ST 3 weeks ago and have already run into continual problems with the engine. After running fine for about a week after purchase, I began experiencing the following symptoms:

- Idle is high when stopped, just north of 1k. When coming to a stop, the idle hangs up around 1.4k then after being completely stopped for a second will drop back to the 1k range. (w/ A/C running, idle is miraculously 750rpm)

- While driving, if i ease off the gas while between 1k and 2k rpm, the truck stumbles and lurches. If i take my foot all the way off in that rpm range in gears 1-3, it will stumble hard, almost like hitting the breaks. Around the 1.4k mark, these symptoms are the worst. This is the biggest problem by far.

- The lurching seems to become progressively worse during in town driving. Driving at highway speeds for up to 35min (my longest 1 way trip so far) doesn't seem to exacerbate the situation. The engine also seems to run rougher as these problems become worse.

- I took it to a local (well reviewed) LR mechanic. He said the issue was vacuum advance, and leaky vacuum hose. Both were replaced along with a throttle/intake clean, new air filter and stepper motor and timing was reset. Upon pick up the truck ran great... for the drive home, but the symptoms have returned full force within a day, again getting worse the longer I'm on the road doing in town type driving. Mechanic also said idle was back to normal, but if the A/C isn't running, it's 1k+ just like always.

- As an aside, there's a light ticking sound that's appeared since purchase, coming from the engine. It's about 5 ticks per second and is much louder underneath the truck than from above.

- Truck has 85k miles and is very good shape otherwise. I've already run 2 tanks through in 3 weeks, both premium, fwiw. Also, no check engine light.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Does it have the relocated ignition module?
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

sound like you have multiple symptoms of different things
low speed problems and high idle ...faulty or dirty iac and pcv hoses ..base idle not set properly , faulty wiring to vss or bad vss , stumbling no power possible weak fuel pressure , bad alternator , bad ignition module , faulty aftermarket ignition wire cap+rotor , bad connectors on injectors or faulty injector wiring , dirty grounds .. the list keeps going as for the tick more than likely its a worn cup on the rocker arm .. my advice find a reliable independant trained Land Rover tech should be able to sort it out for ya
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
scolvus.x
John Lomax
94 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Does it have the relocated ignition module?
Nope
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Don't fuck with the base idle until you fixed everything else .. Check for air leaks ... Spray carb cleaner on the hoses .. Revs will fall where there is a leak

Take a look at the big fat plenum to air box tube ... They have a habit of not being put back properly by people who don't know what they are doing.

Truck should idle at about 425 ... So your well reviewed guy isn't so hot in that regard.

Chances are its something simple ... Something overlooked by someone guessing the diagnosis....

------ Follow up post added November 27th, 2012 09:50 PM ------

Do you have a working bulb in the check engine light? Have you red the codes of the ECU?

------ Follow up post added November 27th, 2012 09:52 PM ------

Does the tick rate change with rpm!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, new owner