New Owner / Engine Issues
I purchased a 94 ST 3 weeks ago and have already run into continual problems with the engine. After running fine for about a week after purchase, I began experiencing the following symptoms:
- Idle is high when stopped, just north of 1k. When coming to a stop, the idle hangs up around 1.4k then after being completely stopped for a second will drop back to the 1k range. (w/ A/C running, idle is miraculously 750rpm)
- While driving, if i ease off the gas while between 1k and 2k rpm, the truck stumbles and lurches. If i take my foot all the way off in that rpm range in gears 1-3, it will stumble hard, almost like hitting the breaks. Around the 1.4k mark, these symptoms are the worst. This is the biggest problem by far.
- The lurching seems to become progressively worse during in town driving. Driving at highway speeds for up to 35min (my longest 1 way trip so far) doesn't seem to exacerbate the situation. The engine also seems to run rougher as these problems become worse.
- I took it to a local (well reviewed) LR mechanic. He said the issue was vacuum advance, and leaky vacuum hose. Both were replaced along with a throttle/intake clean, new air filter and stepper motor and timing was reset. Upon pick up the truck ran great... for the drive home, but the symptoms have returned full force within a day, again getting worse the longer I'm on the road doing in town type driving. Mechanic also said idle was back to normal, but if the A/C isn't running, it's 1k+ just like always.
- As an aside, there's a light ticking sound that's appeared since purchase, coming from the engine. It's about 5 ticks per second and is much louder underneath the truck than from above.
- Truck has 85k miles and is very good shape otherwise. I've already run 2 tanks through in 3 weeks, both premium, fwiw. Also, no check engine light.
Any ideas are appreciated.