New Owner -- Couple of Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Duke D90
John G. Mancini
1994 Defender 90 ST

New Owner -- Couple of Questions

Guys,

I just bought a 1994 soft-top and couldn't be more excited. It needs a little work, but I've been enjoying getting my hands dirty! As I'm new to D90s, I've got a couple questions, and would love some advice.

1. It has the original soft top, which is in good condition. The back window was not zipped in when I bought the vehicle and I've not be able to zip it in since (just can't pull the edges together). Someone (non-D90 owner) told me that I'd have to take the entire top off, zip in the window, and then reinstall it. Is this the case?

2. Currently, there are no seats in the back. I like the look of the jump seats best, but was wondering if anyone had experience with car seats / booster seats in the back. I've got two young boys who are dying to go for a ride! Was thinking that the forward facing bench seat would probably be the most amenable for the car/booster seats.

Thanks in advance,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke D90 View Post
I just bought a 1994 soft-top and couldn't be more excited. It needs a little work, but I've been enjoying getting my hands dirty! As I'm new to D90s, I've got a couple questions, and would love some advice.

1. It has the original soft top, which is in good condition. The back window was not zipped in when I bought the vehicle and I've not be able to zip it in since (just can't pull the edges together). Someone (non-D90 owner) told me that I'd have to take the entire top off, zip in the window, and then reinstall it. Is this the case?
Is the top the snap type? They shrink and can be a bitch. If it is a bestop, put the truck in the sun, put a space heater inside and use a hair dryer to make the windows soft to stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke D90 View Post
2. Currently, there are no seats in the back. I like the look of the jump seats best, but was wondering if anyone had experience with car seats / booster seats in the back. I've got two young boys who are dying to go for a ride! Was thinking that the forward facing bench seat would probably be the most amenable for the car/booster seats.
You want a bench seat. They come up now and again. The problem is getting the seatbelt hardware. Post in the wanted section and maybe it will come up.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You do not want jump seats for car seats. Get a bench or, what I would do, bolt some car seats through the floor with reinforcing plates.
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
John - Welcome and congratulations on getting a Defender!

For a few ideas about seat solutions take a look at Exmoor trim ... this is mainly for ideas as the shipping costs can soon add up!

http://www.johncraddock-trim.co.uk/l...ts-2262-0.html

Also upload a picture or two to keep those of us surfing instead of working entertained!
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

x3 on the forward facing bench seat. Don't even think of putting your kids in the inward facing jump seats!
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
It's been cold here in Durham lately and I bet the window would fit better if it was warmer. Hit it with a hair dryer or leave in a heated garage for a while.

Where in Durham are you? I'd be glad to show you mine so you can see what the rear bench looks like. I have experience with the crappy stock tops too if you need a hand.
-Mike
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Duke D90
John G. Mancini
1994 Defender 90 ST

Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice and links! I'll try the warm sunny day and hair dryer approach with the rear window. Looks like a forward facing bench seat may be my best option, although I'm intrigued about mounting the car seats to the floor. Ofcourse, safety first in these matters when dealing with the little ones.

Thanks again,

John

------ Follow up post added February 4th, 2010 02:40 PM ------

Mike,

I live in Hope Valley in SW Durham. How about you? I'd love to take a look at the bench seat. My D90 is currently in Knoxville, TN as my dad has been helping me with some of the needed work. I'm hoping to have it in Durham within the next month or so. Seems to be quite a few Defender owners in the triangle (from what I can see on this site), but for some reason I don't seem to see that many out and about.

Thanks,

John
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Forward facing bench or there is one set of really expensive Exmoor seats that fold up like the DII load area seats that are sturdy enough for a car seat. They have another pair of forward facing that use the bench seat belt set up but they aren't as sturdy.

Careful bolting them to the floor, part of the design is that they recoil in an accident, absorbing the shock. When you put them in a car with the latch system there is still some movement. Someone was selling some DII load area seats here that potentially would be a good fit. You would only need the should belt that mounts to the roll cage, and with car seats you don't need the head support like you do for a booster seat.

There have been a lot of discussions on the board over the years and some good information. Make sure your car seat will work with the seat belts too, the D90 belts don't ratchet like newer cars so you'll need a car seat with a lock out feature.

Heated garage for the top or space heater in the truck and slowly stretch it. Patience is the key.

HTH,
Alex
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I have a 2 year old and he rides up front. It not all the time, but about once a month or so. I put a tie-down around the seat for a little extra snugness. I get a few nasty looks, but its legal and probably as safe as my other cars. Its at lest safer than I had.
And I love you too
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I had a long conversation with a Major in the Colorado Highway Patrol about kids in soft tops in general. We were talking about where is the best place for kids. He said it should be the back since it is further from the engine- in the event that it might be dislodged in an accident. With our trucks the ST roll cage covers the entire truck, unlike some older jeeps and what not. However, a child can ride in the front seat legally as long as there is no air bag or the air bag can be disabled. This is all Colorado law based.

Honestly I would think the bigger issue would be age and neck development. Our doctor said not to use joggers and bike trailers until our daughter was old enough to hold her head up, his concern was her huge head and little neck- and she had a HUGE head. Since the 90 is not the smoothest vehicle I would wonder if that would be a bigger concern.

Then again we all rode around in the cargo area of station wagons and in the beds of trucks so really it's all personal. Probably shouldn't walk out of the front door without a helmet .

With the load area seats and two kids I would just make sure it is a secure seat, mounted well and not inward facing.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Back in "Nam" I always rode in front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2878.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24933  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think there is a rear bench for sale here. I can tell you where not to take you truck to get worked on.
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:46 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
John,
I know there are a lot of rover owners in the area, but I don't see them out very often. A RR or disco sometimes, but rarely a 90 in durham. I'll PM you my cell so we can meet up sometime if you'd like. I am just down the road by the intersection of 54 and 55.
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Seat options

Ive got some 3rd row seats from a Discovery II that might work for you if you are willing to fab up a mounting system

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...071#post202071

If you want to spend big bucks go with the ones from Exmoor.

Another option I found, but didn't persue further was a company called littlepassengers

here is a link to how they installed their seats in a 4D Wrangler.
http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/...p_wrangler.htm

I'm sure one of their setups can work in a D90 ST. Beauty of this setup is that the seatbelts are integrated into the seats. A mounting plate would have to be installed on the tub as well.

If you can find the bench seat with all the necessary seatbelt stuff, this would be the way to go

Enjoy your new rig!
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4056
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
x3 on the forward facing bench seat. Don't even think of putting your kids in the inward facing jump seats!
The "safest" position is actually facing "backwards" for the rear seats. That goes for adults as well as children. The reason the seats in cars are placed forward facing is not for safety reasons as much as convenience and comfort, ie not getting motion-sick driving backwards.

Most serious injuries occur as result of front-end collisions (offset). The "energy" of the collision is better dispersed into the seat itself rather than the seatbelts although they do a "good-enough" job in adults.

One of the nice things about the D-90 that make a backwards facing rear bench nice is the rear swing out door versus behind the front seats.
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24006
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23948
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

My Daughter (4) rides up front in a booster, my other daugher (5 months) rides in back on the bench seat in her baby bucket seat.

Do not use the inward facing seats with a kid - they really arn't safe for kids and debatable for us. but they are really convient ()

a bench is what you need

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
new owner