New Oil Cooler Lines - BIG problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hunter Seley
New Oil Cooler Lines - BIG problems

Hey Guys,

So I decided to finally replace my oil cooler lines after seeing all the threads about fires. Took the new lines to the local hydraulic shop and had some braided lines installed. To make even more fire proof i put aviation grade orange heat sheilding around the braided tubes. So far so good

Reinstalled everything. Pulled center coil and cranked to move some oil. Replaced coil, started and ran for 10 minutes, leak far so good....

Took it on the road....smoke....oil spewing all over the vehicle!!!! Oil appears to be leaking from the seal between sandwich plate and pump or from seal at filter.

Question: Does the sandwhich plate mount to the pump only one way? Or am I fine as long as the seal is seated properly?

Question: I installed a new AMSOIL SDF15 oil filter. The filter seems to rub against the fitiings on the oil lines so I am not sure if it is properly seated. Do I have the right filter?

Also the oil spayed in to the fan which then evenly coated the entire engine bay....can anyone recomend a good degreaser?

I am new at this but determined to learn my 90 inside and out. Thanks in advance for any help...

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Oh, these arent big problems by any stretch! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by sandwitch plate - do you mean the adapter that the oil filter threads on to? When I re-did my lines I noticed that the seal was ugly, I'm hoping it holds oil in. Best you can really do here is clean everything up and try and see what's going on when its clean...

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
sal gorriceta
various rovers
pls. post pictures if you can. i used the same oil filter for 4 years without problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions