New Member looking at Importing an Italian Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:04 PM
Mini_Ditka
Neil
None

New Member looking at Importing an Italian Defender

Hello Forum members. I would like to introduce myself. I am 35 and live in Atlanta, GA. I am a former 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser owner who through a combination of poor planning, mistrust, and extremely unfortunate circumstances I am without my FJ but a series of new and old parts. I have been shopping for a replacement but am now looking in another direction. Specifically East to Italy for an import.

There are 4 key factors that have me looking to import a Defender:
  1. Change to import laws making it easier to import 25yr old cars.
  2. Depressed Euro currency valuation vs USD.
  3. A good friend stationed in Rammstein that can help with shipping them on the cheap.
  4. MOST Importantly, Defenders kick-ass!

I will admit I have done about 10% of the research I would feel I need and really it's only been shopping for rigs via autoscout24.

My concerns are two-fold:
1) Purchase and importation
  • How do I know upon purchase whether US Customs will consider it original enough.
  • Will I be able to identify a quality purchase, what to look for? Where do they rust? Where do they leak?
  • What options or Model Years are most desirable for a European Market Defender?
2) Maintenance
  • How difficult will it be getting parts and maintaining the variety of Diesel motors that were
    never sold in the US.
  • What are the other differences to be mindful of?
  • How strong are the online resources (like this forum) for performing my own maintenance.

First off, thank you for reading this far. I would prefer a Left Hand Drive vehicle and understand miles (kilometers) on a european vehicle are vastly different than what would be expected on a US car. Also we are talking about a 25yr old car so nothing will be new either way. This will not be a Daily Driver but just another thing to wrench on.

I would appreciate any direction toward resources I should be reading and if you know of another resource to be searching within other than autoscout24.com. I plan to make a european vacation out of this and want to investigate any potential purchase in person.

Here are my potential candidates thus far:

The Money Saver
My First Love (She's been on the market for almost a year now)
Depends on her Motor

Looks like Italians prefer White, and I'm OK with that.

Regards many Thanks,
-MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:30 PM
Mini_Ditka
Neil
None

Additional Listings

After consulting with a friend who imports car parts he mentioned Ebay. He thinks I might not even need to make a trip out of it.

Looks like Ebay is Kijiji: Annunci locali di eBay over there.

Some additional listings with potential:
Land Rover Defender 90 (NOT WHITE)
Mentions something about non compliance, but I think it is simply "As-is"
Not alot of info or pictures here

-MD
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:35 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Being new to Defenders, and the whole importation process I suggest you buy one here and already imported - there are a number of reputable, good blokes, right here on this forum who import quality vehicles with all known issues documented. You will be in a world of hurt relying on some unknown person on the other side of the pond, who may/may not know anything and may/may not have your best interests at heart.

One VERY IMPORTANT factor you left out - is budget. Budget for the purchase, PLUS, and don't underestimate, budget for once you receive it - you will need to replace or repair stuff. If you are realistic you will look at $20K as a minimum start, weather you import a vehicle for $9K landed cost - then have to spend $10K on it - or buy one already in country for $20K.

Dont underestimate the fact you WILL spend $20K minimum to get one.

EDIT: DON'T buy on eBay without checking on here first....this forum is by far the best place to go for information on imported trucks - and those who import them.
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:02 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Contact Asif here in the Forum.

He probably can help you.

The truck I bought from him was from Italy.

As for the parts... there are plenty of vendors to buy parts from.

www.lucky8llc.com

www.rovahfarm.com

www.roversnorth.com

To name a few.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:45 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Buy Kent's 85 110! It needs a home!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:35 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Being new to Defenders, and the whole importation process I suggest you buy one here and already imported - there are a number of reputable, good blokes, right here on this forum who import quality vehicles with all known issues documented. You will be in a world of hurt relying on some unknown person on the other side of the pond, who may/may not know anything and may/may not have your best interests at heart.

One VERY IMPORTANT factor you left out - is budget. Budget for the purchase, PLUS, and don't underestimate, budget for once you receive it - you will need to replace or repair stuff. If you are realistic you will look at $20K as a minimum start, weather you import a vehicle for $9K landed cost - then have to spend $10K on it - or buy one already in country for $20K.

Dont underestimate the fact you WILL spend $20K minimum to get one.

EDIT: DON'T buy on eBay without checking on here first....this forum is by far the best place to go for information on imported trucks - and those who import them.
^^^what he said^^^
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:42 PM
skitzy
Nick
91 D90 2.5NA doing LS Gen IV Thing

Registry
Just check kijiji.ca. Check each province for a LHD. You can rent a trailer and drive across the border and pick it up yourself. Canadian dollar sucks right now so you could probably buy three right now with your strong dollar.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:13 AM
OZARKTOAD
Bachmann
None...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Buy Kent's 85 110! It needs a home!
who is kent and is there anymore info on his 85 110?
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:03 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_Ditka View Post
Hello Forum members. I would like to introduce myself. I am 35 and live in Atlanta, GA. I am a former 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser owner who through a combination of poor planning, mistrust, and extremely unfortunate circumstances I am without my FJ but a series of new and old parts. I have been shopping for a replacement but am now looking in another direction. Specifically East to Italy for an import.

1. Change to import laws making it easier to import 25yr old cars.
  2. Depressed Euro currency valuation vs USD.
  3. A good friend stationed in Rammstein that can help with shipping them on the cheap.
  4. MOST Importantly, Defenders kick-ass!

I will admit I have done about 10% of the research I would feel I need and really it's only been shopping for rigs via autoscout24.

My concerns are two-fold:
1) Purchase and importation
  • How do I know upon purchase whether US Customs will consider it original enough.
  • Will I be able to identify a quality purchase, what to look for? Where do they rust? Where do they leak?
  • What options or Model Years are most desirable for a European Market Defender?
2) Maintenance
  • How difficult will it be getting parts and maintaining the variety of Diesel motors that were
    never sold in the US.
  • What are the other differences to be mindful of?
  • How strong are the online resources (like this forum) for performing my own maintenance.

First off, thank you for reading this far. I would prefer a Left Hand Drive vehicle and understand miles (kilometers) on a european vehicle are vastly different than what would be expected on a US car. Also we are talking about a 25yr old car so nothing will be new either way. This will not be a Daily Driver but just another thing to wrench on.

I would appreciate any direction toward resources I should be reading and if you know of another resource to be searching within other than autoscout24.com. I plan to make a european vacation out of this and want to investigate any potential purchase in person.

Here are my potential candidates thus far:

The Money Saver
My First Love (She's been on the market for almost a year now)
Depends on her Motor

Looks like Italians prefer White, and I'm OK with that.

Regards many Thanks,
-MD
I was where you are a year and a half ago. Every question you're asking has already been covered in other threads on this website 100X. I also live in Atlanta.

The biggest mistake I made was importing when there are so many here for sale. The 110 I imported was a total P.O.S. and I paid a lot of money for it. I've spent the last year doing a full restoration. It's almost back together.

I see great trucks on Ebay all the time. If you ever want to check mine out just drop a line.
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Welcome. Go hang out with the Solaros guys and learn what type of Defender will work best for you.

Sometimes I wish we had a sticky saying "I'm new, I've falling in love with the Tough safari image and want to import a Defender"

And merge all these threads.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have three 110's here on consignment and also know a little about shipment and importation having done 600 or so.
Budget and body configuration and engine type desired ?

------ Follow up post added August 27th, 2015 08:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_Ditka View Post
Specifically East to Italy for an import.

[LIST=1][*]Change to import laws making it easier to import 25yr old cars.

[*]How do I know upon purchase whether US Customs will consider it original enough.

-MD
???To my knowledge absolutely nothing has changed since the current law was enacted in 1988.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, import