New member and a-bar question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

New member and a-bar question

After 10 years of dreaming, I finally bought my first defender. It is being delivered next Friday. It is a Beluga Black 1997 ST. I am so excited I can hardly see straight. I am a long time car enthusiast, but off-roading is a recent hobby that a few friends have got me hooked on. I've had other Land Rover products, and still have a range rover, but never the land rover I really wanted. For the past couple months, I've spent a couple hours a night on this forum reading everything and anything. I cannot thank you all enough for creating this remarkable resource. It is awesome. I've learned so much, but feel so green and intimidated about how little I still know.

The truck I bought was discussed here, with mixed reviews. It is pretty clean and was well maintained. The pre-purchase inspection was great, but there is a fair amount of routine maintance that is due on the truck. I am going to JC's in Denver to get the truck into tip-top shape. Without this forum, I wouldn't have known the things to look for and could have gotten in a lot of trouble buying a beat up truck for a low price. I definately overpaid for the truck I bought, but I just couldn't wait any longer. It's water under the bridge now and I plan on keeping it forever, so oh well.

Here's my first question. My truck has a wraparound brush guard that you can see in my profile pick. It needs to be refinished. I think I might change to an a-frame and lamp guards instead. Has anyone installed the nylon-coated a-frame? It is part number LR005235 or VPLPP0060. Will it install easily enough on my NAS 97, even though it is made for 2007+ ROW trucks? Any thoughts on durability? It will be functional, but won't see extreme off-road action. I am concerned that it will get trashed compared to other options. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Is this the 97 that was in Cali?
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Yes... there was a fairly long thread about it a month or two ago. After a lot of negotiating, the guy finally let me take it for a pre-purchase inspection. He didn't want to do that, but the truck wasn't selling, and he finally relented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Aframe cheap

$85 plus shipping

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions