new head and injectors, now more black smoke - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
defender 90
new head and injectors, now more black smoke

Couple weeks back I stripped off my old head on my 300tdi and replaced it with a new high flow turner head, replaced the injectors and glow plugs too. After running it for a few weeks I've had a noticeable increase in black smoke and also my EGT has increased. EGT used to be between 850-950 general highway cruising speed. Now on hard acceleration up a hill at 60mph ill be closer to 1150-1250 then i'll let off the skinny pedal as not to get it too hot. I know that it can get up to 1300 but it used to run cooler. I'm wondering that the old injectors were nicely covered in carbon build up, with the new injectors maybe they are injecting how they were supposed to so its putting more fuel into the pistons?? Anyone had similar thing after replacing injectors, maybe think it could be as I think? Should I turn down the fuel a tad??

On a side note, I have not messed with the fuel ratio, the engine was bought used so someone may have tweaked it before I got it. I do live up in Colorado so there is less air up by me, the lower oxygen decreasing the combustion efficiency may have something to do with it too.

Thanks in advance !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions