New Guy - Old Problem - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Hans, if you want to talk through this on the phone give me a call. It will probably make more sense if you hear it said. If you are not planning to do any significant off roading or advanced trails I think you are buying more than you'll ever need. You'll also not likely to get any of this investment back on resell. In this Defender community people who know they need lockers and 4:11 gearing and DC shafts tend to do it themselves or only willing to pay a small fraction of what it's worth. Take a look at what stock trucks fetch vs. trail ready rigs with $10K invested in them. 703-953-5546 (Cell)

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What size tires are you running
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Seems odd to me that you would need a dc shaft or adjustable links with an OME lift.... Maybe a ujoint??

Also question the 4.11 gears unless you are running A 34" tire or something larger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Hans, if you want to talk through this on the phone give me a call. It will probably make more sense if you hear it said. If you are not planning to do any significant off roading or advanced trails I think you are buying more than you'll ever need. You'll also not likely to get any of this investment back on resell. In this Defender community people who know they need lockers and 4:11 gearing and DC shafts tend to do it themselves or only willing to pay a small fraction of what it's worth. Take a look at what stock trucks fetch vs. trail ready rigs with $10K invested in them. 703-953-5546 (Cell)

Clay
This is good advice, Clay. That said, I will never (not ever) sell my D90. When I die, it goes to my daughter. If she sells it, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
What size tires are you running
Stock BFG 31" All terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Seems odd to me that you would need a dc shaft or adjustable links with an OME lift.... Maybe a ujoint??

Also question the 4.11 gears unless you are running A 34" tire or something larger
I had the U-joints verified by Driveline Solutions. Going to SKIP the rear DC drive shaft originally planned and do the Rovertym or RockWare trailing arms to try to correct pinion angle.

As far as the gears go, Bill Davis suggested that my D90 (especially at my altitude) will perform better since the stock gearing was designed for 29" tires (not 31" as seen on the NAS D90).
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
This is good advice, Clay. That said, I will never (not ever) sell my D90. When I die, it goes to my daughter. If she sells it, so be it.

Stock BFG 31" All terrain.

I had the U-joints verified by Driveline Solutions. Going to SKIP the rear DC drive shaft originally planned and do the Rovertym or RockWare trailing arms to try to correct pinion angle.

As far as the gears go, Bill Davis suggested that my D90 (especially at my altitude) will perform better since the stock gearing was designed for 29" tires (not 31" as seen on the NAS D90).
Good Luck Hans. I went through the same process by starting with a OME ift which lead to vibes and started by adding front DC, then rear arms, then rear DC and I still have vibes at times. I think its the SWB auto trans and 4:11 gears that magnify things a bit.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Good Luck Hans. I went through the same process by starting with a OME ift which lead to vibes and started by adding front DC, then rear arms, then rear DC and I still have vibes at times. I think its the SWB auto trans and 4:11 gears that magnify things a bit.
Damn...
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Do what Dana said.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Do what Dana said.
I agree. For what you plan to use the truck for you don't need lockers or 4:11 gearing. My original suggestion was to buy my diffs with only 40K miles on them. $500, plus shipping and I'll give you a 12 month/12,000 mile guarantee. If anything goes wrong with them I'll buy them back from you.
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
I agree. For what you plan to use the truck for you don't need lockers or 4:11 gearing. My original suggestion was to buy my diffs with only 40K miles on them. $500, plus shipping and I'll give you a 12 month/12,000 mile guarantee. If anything goes wrong with them I'll buy them back from you.
Clay, I owe you an apology. I JUST saw your original post (back a few pages) with pics of your old diffs. I did not intend to blow past that offer without the courtesy of a response. Please accept my apology.

I made a commitment to GBR/Bill Davis (yesterday morning) for the 4:11 detroit TT diffs.

Just left you a voicemail...
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
So... I just installed a set of RockWare trailing arms that compensate for the pinion angle issue created by the 1.5" lift. No luck. I still get the same grunt (distinctly from the rear end) at 70MPH when I get on or come off the throttle.

The fun continues.

Still think DC shafts are overkill?

On a brighter note, you guys will be delighted to learn that I've decided to "man up" and do the diff swap in my own garage (ok, ok, with a great deal of assistance from my pal).

I'm honestly quite excited to get into it.
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I doubt the angle of the diff changed enough due to the lift to cause an issue that needs corrected. An OME lift is mild and many people are running them without issue or the need to add longer tailing arms or other things.

It is possible that there was already something wrong and the lift simply amplified it or any number of other issues that are unrated to the lift.

For example a bad u joint, unbalanced drive shaft, bad slip yoke...

Did you add new tires? Are you sure they are balanced properly?

Maybe there was a bearing that was going bad in the diff?

Adding the 4.10s might even make things worse as I have seen in several cases.

Does it do it when you let off the gas? When you accelerate? At a certain speed?
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:39 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
I doubt the angle of the diff changed enough due to the lift to cause an issue that needs corrected. An OME lift is mild and many people are running them without issue or the need to add longer tailing arms or other things.

It is possible that there was already something wrong and the lift simply amplified it or any number of other issues that are unrated to the lift.

For example a bad u joint, unbalanced drive shaft, bad slip yoke...
Perhaps - though u-joints were checked by a driveline shop

Quote:
Did you add new tires?
No

Quote:
Are you sure they are balanced properly?
Yes - just rechecked

Quote:
Maybe there was a bearing that was going bad in the diff?
I think that is certain in the rear

Quote:
Adding the 4.10s might even make things worse as I have seen in several cases.
Uh oh...

Quote:
Does it do it when you let off the gas?
Yes

Quote:
When you accelerate?
Only when power is first applied (or power removed)

Quote:
At a certain speed?
No, but especially notable over 60
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

I had vibrations with a mild lift (RR rear springs in front and OME med rear). Changing out to a front DC driveshaft cured my vibrations when getting on/off the gas at highway speeds. I think your doing the right things Hans, good luck!
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hans, if you suspect either of the driveshafts, simply remove them one at a time. You can engage the center diff lock and run with one and see if it changes the situation, then put the other shaft back in and remove the one you started with. Free and doesn't take that long.

hth
charles
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90dan View Post
I had vibrations with a mild lift (RR rear springs in front and OME med rear). Changing out to a front DC driveshaft cured my vibrations when getting on/off the gas at highway speeds. I think your doing the right things Hans, good luck!
Bill Davis (GBR) believes this to be the cure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Hans, if you suspect either of the driveshafts, simply remove them one at a time. You can engage the center diff lock and run with one and see if it changes the situation, then put the other shaft back in and remove the one you started with. Free and doesn't take that long.

hth
charles
Timely post! After putting pinion angle adjusting trailing arms on the D90 (last night) without correcting the problem, we've collectively decided (this morning) that this is our next step. I was advised by Tom (at GBR) to secure the heck out of the parking break drum when doing this.
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hans,

I live here in the Springs and I can help you if you need it. Pulling diffs and driveshafts is simple. I recommend dual cardan shafts for at least the front. I am pulling my rear diff this weekend to get my Detroit rebuilt and I'm also pulling the GBR front DS to replace with a Tom Woods. I do most of my work at home down by the Broadmoor but for some stuff, I take my truck to the Fort Carson auto crafts shop where I can put it on a lift.
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Hey Chris! Thanks for the offer, brother. We've met - but it's been 4 or 5 years.

Why Tom Woods for the DC shaft instead of GBR?
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

My GBR driveshaft is the old style with the adapter plate, which sucks.

Where did we meet?
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
My GBR driveshaft is the old style with the adapter plate, which sucks.
Interesting... do know if the latest GBR shafts use the adapter plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Where did we meet?
If you're the gent I'm thinking of, we met roughly 4 years ago at a British car rally at Colorado Springs Land rover.

Does your D90 have a 3-link suspension in the front?
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

That wasn't me. I've only been here a little over a year.

I live down on Cheyenne Mountain and I'm usually driving my truck to downtown for lunch or whatever. No three-link, it looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...57625240335210

Is yours the green SW with the South African flag that I've seen around?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions