New Gears and WOW, 10 mph? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

After some more digging, I went back to the original FAQ and came to the conclusion that what they have there should still be valid for the 94-95.
VDO speedo, VDO adapter for GM cables, and then get your speedo cable modified to fit into the adapter. I cant remember the VDO part #'s but they are in the faq. I also stumbled upon something that indicated that VDO sold out to another company but the pieces are still around.
Next step after I get some pennies is to get the speedo and cable adapter and then see where I am before some more head scratching.
Michael, I had some some searches on vdo but most of the results were incomplete or did not have to deal with the v8 ECU. Maybe I was searching for the wrong thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriesman
Scott,

Sorry for the slow reply but I just got my computer up and running here in D.C. The drive across the US was interesting.
Michael
Glad you made it ok, Michael. Maybe this call for another of our (very infrequent) happy hours.
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

I am up for the happy hour thing, but I have been working so many hours lately I do not know when I would be free. Let me know what you had in mind. Are there club/board members that get together for this on a regular basis?

D.C. is interesting--I have already had two people chase me down in parking lots and ask to buy my D-90. One guy literally chased me around in circles in a Costco parking lot for five minutes while I was trying to find a parking spot. It was pretty funny now that I think about it. If someone had tried that in LA I would have assumed I was getting car jacked and shot them on the spot. Today someone left a card on the windshield at the Metro station about joining a local off road club. I guess I am really not in LA anymore.....

If anyone has any more questions about the VDO swap just let me know. Again, I highly recommend North Hollywood Speedometer shop in LA if anyone lives in an area that does not have a local speedo shop. They were very helpfull and work often on this type of custom installation.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Hollywood
alex howell
94 d90

Do you have an address for the spped shop.? I am getting to the point that I want to rep;ace my gauges and am looking for a good (recommended) place.

Thanks,
Alex
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yeah a couple of us get together for happy hour. I keep missing them due to work though. I'm guessing the card was from C.O.R.E Capital Off Road Enthusiasts. good group of people from the few that I have met. Its a mix of trucks mostly Jeeps but they are friendly towards Rovers. They are big on trying to keep the trails out in the national forest open. Might also want to check out discoweb for anything with the ECP we do runs out in the national forest.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Alex,

You can find out everything you need to know about North Hollywood Speedometer shop by going to the following website: www.nhspeedometer.com

I highly recommend this shop. I worked with two guys there, one of them is named Durk but I can't recall the second guys name. I think either one would be willing to help you with replacement guages.

As a side note, you may have noticed that everyone who has replaced their factory gauge with a VDO programable unit has used the VDO model 437155 (Vision Series). It fits perfectly as it is the exact size (4 inch) and matches fairly well. However, VDO also makes a different gauge, model number 437152, which is a much better match to the factory unit (in my humble opinion). Check out the following link for a good photograph and compare to the photos I posted above:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

The problem is that this gauge is only listed as being produced in the common 3 3/8 inch size, which will not fit properly in the factory D-90 dash. However, I recently spoke with a "reliable source of information" who does extensive work with VDO. He advised that VDO will produce the 437152 gauge in a 4 inch size on special request. In fact, he stated that VDO will produce ANY of their models in the 4 inch size if you are willing to pay for it. I would be extremely interested if this is true, although I have no incentive to research that matter further as I already bought the 437155.

Just a thought..... If anyone researches this matter further and is able to special order the 437152 in a 4 inch diameter I would be interested in hearing the details.

Michael
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriesman View Post
As a side note, you may have noticed that everyone who has replaced their factory gauge with a VDO programable unit has used the VDO model 437155 (Vision Series). It fits perfectly as it is the exact size (4 inch) and matches fairly well. However, VDO also makes a different gauge, model number 437152, which is a much better match to the factory unit (in my humble opinion). Check out the following link for a good photograph and compare to the photos I posted above:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

The problem is that this gauge is only listed as being produced in the common 3 3/8 inch size, which will not fit properly in the factory D-90 dash. However, I recently spoke with a "reliable source of information" who does extensive work with VDO. He advised that VDO will produce the 437152 gauge in a 4 inch size on special request. In fact, he stated that VDO will produce ANY of their models in the 4 inch size if you are willing to pay for it. I would be extremely interested if this is true, although I have no incentive to research that matter further as I already bought the 437155.

Just a thought..... If anyone researches this matter further and is able to special order the 437152 in a 4 inch diameter I would be interested in hearing the details.

Michael
Michael,

I would rather have the 437152 as well. I just sent an email to VDO - though their website doesn't exactly instill confidence that I got the right person. I will post what I find in this thread (which is extremely helpful). Thanks to all who contributed. I am going to do this conversion to my NAS '97 SW soon.

~(the other) Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions