New fuel pump, didnt help, what next? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Search for chicklet and you will see. It is a little square resistor thing that goes bad sometimes when hot.
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
BTW, I didnt want to imply from my previous post that you should immediately jump to the ECU as the source of your problems; just keep it in the back of your mind.

I had a bizarre stumbling; motor would completely die for a few seconds then come right back on.
Only after it was warmed up. Spoke to many about this over a year or so(Will, PT, Dan).
Since I had 2 identical '91s I finally picked a weekend and started swapping parts.
One at a time, and then replacing them.

Finally, after swapping ECUs the problem transferred to the other truck!

Charlie Haigh(Defender guru and former parts dude from RN) siad he had run across two ECUs that had bad software like mine.

Check all the routine stuff first.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
The chicklet visually looks good, no corrosion etc. so how do i testbit or where can i get one to swap it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
update,

i took off the ECU connector, hit it with cleaner, when i put it back on, the code readout was a bright 02 reading. i drove it later in the day and all was well, no stumbling etc. it did however upon starting a backing out of a parking space act up a bit and the going down the street. the symptoms were not as bad and the wierd thing is it went away (before it did not). could it have just been ecu re-learning a few things and need being re-set? before, when i re-set it i simply unplugged a battery cable. i am assuming the connector was dusty creating problems?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
update,

i took off the ECU connector, hit it with cleaner, when i put it back on, the code readout was a bright 02 reading. i drove it later in the day and all was well, no stumbling etc. it did however upon starting a backing out of a parking space act up a bit and the going down the street. the symptoms were not as bad and the wierd thing is it went away (before it did not). could it have just been ecu re-learning a few things and need being re-set? before, when i re-set it i simply unplugged a battery cable. i am assuming the connector was dusty creating problems?
Rick:

"02" is a code that just means electrical interrupt to the ECU I believe, which in this case - you uplugged it.

Though admittedly the cleaning could have helped if that was part of the issue.

PS - I owe you an email back btw...just been slacking, but I see you did replace the fuel pump and it did not help. Other culprit (which was my issue) is the Ignition Amplifier Module. My issues disappeared when I replaced mine, and I've since done road trips to WV, PA, NY, and VT in the 90 with no further issues.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
the wierd thing is the code reader was always very dim, you could barely make out the numbers when you turned on the truck. now, it is super bright, you can actually see it. and, the symptoms have almost vanished. my plug wires are going on today. the ignitiom module is new btw. thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel