New Front Look - Opinions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

New Front Look - Opinions?

Hi,

My brush bar is toast. It will last a bit longer, but I need a new solution soon. My bumper is in good shape - so I am not looking to spend the money on a full ARB bumber now. I also have two hella 500 driving lights on the front brush bar that need replacing - they go to a factory switch on the steering column and are great helping the high beams. One is OK......One is in bad shape (they still work - it is held together with electrical tape now). Right now I have the cables on the truck and love the look........I will attach a picture.

So I have a new idea that I want to see if anyone has seen.

What if I drill and bolt a substantial vertical rod through the bumper, at each end of the bumper, with a hole or loop at the top to attach my cables too. I think this could be strong enough, if it went thru both flanges of the "C" shaped bumper. I feel like I have seen this corner post on Military Rovers marking the corner of their vehicles (perhaps with reflectors or flags on the top)?

Then what if I got a simple "A" bar, or Bull bar to hold my two front lights. I know I have seen this, I am having trouble locating it for the Defender on Rover's North or the British Atlantic web page???

That would leave the classic front of the Defender more exposed.

Opinions???

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	11006  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
not sure how much tension the channel bumper could take from the wires, I guess it also depends on how tall you make the posts.. If you're going to go to the trouble of drilling and welding on the original bumper, I say go for it with a full custom brush bar! and if youre modifying the original bumper anyway you might as well beef it up while youre at it..

have fun!

~Steve
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Loose the limb risers if you loose the brush bar. Limb risers serve a purpose in some cases, however most of the time they have a holding the truck together look. Check the rockware bumpers out they fit the lines of the Defender very well. You should be able to find a Genuine brushbar pretty easily, they are for sale here often. I am sure ECR could set you up with one. Nice looking truck, id love to have a black 95 with a badger truck cab.
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

When I get home next week I believe I have a spare 500 if you are interested in a replacement.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I have mix feelings on the limb risers. Sometimes I dig the look...sometimes not. Upon closer inspection of your truck, I think they are attached too high.

Thumbs down on fabbing up vertical rods, doesn't seem like an aesthetically pleasing look. Plus, I the idea of getting skewered comes to mind. LOL

Your truck is kick-ass already, loose the limb risers and get an A-Bar.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Its funny, that has always been what kept me with the orig. brush guard. I like the limb risers but I prefer the A-bar to the brush guard. Actually, my favorite is the Camel Trophy brush guard but it is so expensive and hard to find used.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Yeah, the Camel Trophy brush guard is sexy!
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Lights....

Thank for the imput - keep the opions coming!

So no one is into the posts on the sides of the bumper? Hummmmm. Maybe it would not look that cool?

Thanks for all the early opinions. Yeah - that Camel Bar is really cool - but really expensive.......

The A-Bar would look cool - but I would loose the limb risors. That is a decision that I have to make........they have been on for so long. I have been off-road a few times where I was glad I had them, but do not take the truck off road that often.

The other reason (and I know people might think this is silly) I like the cables is that they really help my Cristmas light display by being able to get lights to the front brush bar! I am an original owner - and have put them on every year at Thanksgiving or so since the truck was new. I leave it ouside my house plugged in with an outdoor cord...........and then I have a converter that works off the lighter, and actually drive arround during the month of December with them on at night..........

Like I said - people might think this is crazy - but the neighbors like it, my family likes it, and I get a lot of thumbs up during the season. BUT - I could still light up the roof rack either way............I will attach a picture.

Ade - you said I had the Limb Risors to high? Do I not want them above my top lights?????? Where would you mount them???

Andrew - let me know if you have that Light. Are they all the same? Should I just buy a new pair? I will take a closer look and see if the other one is in bad shape or not..........

Keep opions of the Front Look coming........Thanks..........Flagg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmas.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11012  
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Hey Flagg,

I've seen what you're describing on TeriAnn Wakeman's webpage, http://www.tjwakeman.net/. I've also seen limb risers attached to the wing itself. I'm assuming that they have some type of backer plate under the wing. Not sure if I'd trust it though.

These are from TeriAnn's website:

-Neil
Attached Images

Old November 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I know other people dont like the padded a-bars, but I think they are good looking. Not super-offroad functional, but good if you plow through a group of onlookers. George has one for sale for like 350 - and it looks like it has a place for mounting lights. I dont think theres anything wrong with the placement of the limb risers, you want limbs to clear the rack.

If you watch, you can find a used ARB for 350-450, after ditching the stock brushguard I couldnt see putting anything that week back on.

If I were you, and the problem with the bumper is mainly cosmetic, I would just clean it up with some por15 and paint and wait until I could buy what I wanted.

Follow-up Post:

I would only put another stocker back on there if it was free, I definitely wouldnt pay for it.
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

That is a cool web page.........I am going to have to read it closer.........This is the look I was imagining..........I found another cool picture on that page. Still no one likes this look?

Jim C- My front brush bar is well beyond repair. One of the cross pieces is even rusted through (where there is a double horizontal bar int he top middle). All your comments are well taken........

Thanks everyone for posting. I am going to decide which way to go in the next few months...........

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grAltDriver.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	11016  
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Save money and get a rockware front bumper. The stock one is useless. IF you even bump anything small, it will twist like a pretzel and ruin your front wing... You can then mount the lights on the bumper and they will even make tabs fior the limb risers. I personally do not like them.. IT looks too much like an erector set gone wrong.. Nice truck though.
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Flagg,

As far as 'functionality', where you have the limb risers mounted is correct. As far as looks, I'd mount them to the bar just above the windshield.

Whatever decision you end up making, I'm sure it will look sweet! Worst case, you hate the mod and you'll source a new bumper, which isn't to expensive.
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
My brush bar is toast. It will last a bit longer, but I need a new solution soon. My bumper is in good shape - so I am not looking to spend the money on a full ARB bumber now.
I have a similar problem (but of course, slightly different! ;-) ). Here what I am doing:
- build a different bumper (I just don't like any of the ones I have seen so far) to replace the stock one
- re-build a brush bar similar to the stock one but much stronger.

The OEM brush guard rusts under the plastic. I took the plastic on mine out a few years ago to try to treat the rust. I got a "spare" brush guard from a friend (from this list) and while removing the plastic from it last weekend, found out that I could crush one of the tubes on the outside by hand.... Not sure how build the OEM brushguard, but definitely not so good.....

So, because I like the stock look I am going to find someone who can bend some stronger tube for me to re-build a stock-looking brushguard (I like to protect the fenders, which too many brush guards don't seem to offer).
I made the drawings for the bottom part of the bumper yesterday. I think I know what shape I want now. The brushguard will be removable like the stock one (and might include some grids to protect the lights). At this time, I am not sure if I will be adding re-enforcement tabs on the end of the bumper to help strengthen the brushguard or not. My wife does not like the idea because it might not look too good. But I might need to do it for strength anyway (all bumpers with brushguard seem to do it?). I am not planning on limb risers.

Anyway, my wife goes to Columbia twice a week for work, I'll tell her to look for a Xmas D on the road! ;-) Keep us posted on what you decide.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
LOL, sorry my brush guard was crap
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

+1 on the RockWare.
Here's a picture of mine with limb risers.
Note that the limb risers I have use a heavy spring to help with bumpers deflection and also quick release attachment so that I can remove when I am not on the trail.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FallHeritageandMAR247 (Small).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	11024  
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
LOL, sorry my brush guard was crap
I did not name anyone as the owner of the brush guard! Yours was of course the exception to the rule and lived through the ages to this day in perfect condition! ;-)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions