New exmoor trim rear seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

New exmoor trim rear seats

Just installed the first of the new rear exmoor trim rear locking/folding seats and it is awesome. The install instructions did not match my defender but I was able to install it just in front of the gas tank. I thought these photos might help someone else find the correct install spot. The seats are well made and appear much safer than the standard rear bench seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1344337609.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	45527   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1216795459.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	45528  

Name:	image-105648112.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	45529   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-219756125.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	45530  

Name:	image-2737677690.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	45531   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-750420651.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	45532  

Name:	image-4112666952.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	45533  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It's really easy to rotate the photos before posting.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Thanks for posting!

I've been debating getting these for a while now. Couple of questions, how easy would you rank the installation? Are they easy to fold up and what's the wire sticking out of the back of the seat in the second shot?

Finally, where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Once I had the placement figured out it was just a matter of bolting them in so install was easy. I would do the right side first since there are fuel system lines/parts in the way. Once I had the right side finished I used that seat to align the left seat. The left seat was very easy and I almost finished that today in 2 hrs tops. They are easy to fold up but definitely not minivan push-button easy. Not something a kid could do and it would get old doing it everyday. The wires are for the seat heaters. I can't recommend the guy I bought them from. PM me and I will give you details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjah
Thanks for posting!

I've been debating getting these for a while now. Couple of questions, how easy would you rank the installation? Are they easy to fold up and what's the wire sticking out of the back of the seat in the second shot?

Finally, where did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?
------ Follow up post added January 2nd, 2012 05:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
It's really easy to rotate the photos before posting.
Couldn't figure it out on my I touch. They were vertical when I uploaded them but the forum rotated them.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Good job, Matt. Pls. more pictures once you install the other seat.

Sal
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:12 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by budzny View Post
Good job, Matt. Pls. more pictures once you install the other seat.

Sal
X2, thanks for the install info and the pics.. will be doing this once I scrape together the dough..
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

more photos of both seats

Here are some better photos with both seats installed. The one thing that will help someone who is installing these is to look at my photo with the red arrow. It is pointing to a hole that was used to mount the original rear seat. If you use this as a locating guide the seats will fit perfectly just in front of the gas tank so the tank doesn't need to be removed.

The seats stay in the folded/upright position very well. to raise or lower them you need to be inside the vehicle and you grab the 2 gray handles on the front/rear of the seat and lift up the seat (which slides on its track that is mounted to the wheel well).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interior1.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	45708   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior2 closeup.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	45709  

Name:	interior3.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	45710   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior4 handles.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	45711  

Name:	interior5.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	45712  
Old January 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Hi Matt,

When folded is the seat flush against the tub railing, or is there a 2" gap or so? It looks flush and I'm trying to figure out if they would fit with my cage.
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
Hi Matt,

When folded is the seat flush against the tub railing, or is there a 2" gap or so? It looks flush and I'm trying to figure out if they would fit with my cage.
The headrests are flush but otherwise it is about .5-1 inch of gap. So not much space.
Old January 7th, 2012, 06:41 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I have found that the instruction locations are correct if you start on the drivers side (non fuel fill side). I did the first set of these and the instructions were supposed to be updated. I didn't follow up on that (not my fawkin job).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Matt,

Great write-up...thanks for sharing.

Questions:
- When folded, is there much raddle when driving? (other than typical D90 raddles...lol)
- What do the floor plates bolt to?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
I have found that the instruction locations are correct if you start on the drivers side (non fuel fill side). I did the first set of these and the instructions were supposed to be updated. I didn't follow up on that (not my fawkin job).
I tried both sides but neither would match up with the photos provided. In the end I did manage to get a perfect fit.

------ Follow up post added January 7th, 2012 12:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Matt,

Great write-up...thanks for sharing.

Questions:
- When folded, is there much raddle when driving? (other than typical D90 raddles...lol)
- What do the floor plates bolt to?

Cheers...
The seats are 100% quiet - up or down. I added linex a couple of months ago and now the thing is quieter than ever. The floor plates bolt to the tub. I don't think they really are a safety thing. I think their main purpose is just to keep the bottom seat leg from folding up while in use. The bulk of the support comes from the bolts and plates attached to the wheel wells.

I have to say again - these thinks are expensive but they are as good as they sound. A little cumbersome to raise and lower but the seating and flexibility they provide more than make up for this.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Hey Matt - Did you use your OEM ST seatbelts? And did any come with the seats (I thought I read about a seat belt kit that was included)? Thanks
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Very nice. I will do this install at some point for sure.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:54 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
Hey Matt - Did you use your OEM ST seatbelts? And did any come with the seats (I thought I read about a seat belt kit that was included)? Thanks
The seats did come with belts. I had originally planned on just using my old belts but the old belts have a plastic cover that is probably 8" long and it would have looked a little strange and could have made it hard to wear the seat belt properly. So I used the belts that came with the seats and they were a great fit (not to mention they are in much better condition than my old belts).
Old May 13th, 2016, 12:40 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
Just installed the first of the new rear exmoor trim rear locking/folding seats and it is awesome. The install instructions did not match my defender but I was able to install it just in front of the gas tank. I thought these photos might help someone else find the correct install spot. The seats are well made and appear much safer than the standard rear bench seat.
Thanks for the information. I have 2 high back and 1 low back seat in the second row. I am considering putting 1 lock and fold seat (on one side) and 2 jump seats (on the other side) in the rear cargo area of my 110. It is doubtful that all 3 rear seats would ever be used at the same time. Questions for you;

- Do you think this configuration would work? I like the idea of having jump seats and i'm fine with the kids sitting in them on occasion. But for longer trips, i would like them to have a shoulder seat belt and forward facing.

- Is it annoying/inconvenient to have the bracket(s) bolted to the floor of the cargo area? Does it bother you at all when loading things or for any other reasons?
Old May 14th, 2016, 04:00 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Bump. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2016, 12:47 AM
ghoregon
Greg H
1984 Defender 90 Ex-MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
Bump. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi Kurtisblo, I'm not the OP, but I have a pair of Exmoor Lock & Folds in my 90 cargo area.

I don't see any reason you couldn't install a single forward-facing Lock & Fold on one wheel well and a pair of side-facing jump seats on the other. I think you'd only have room to use either the jump seats or the L&F, but not both at the same time.

The floor brackets definitely make it harder to load the cargo area, but it isn't too bad. I'd estimate that the cargo area seat mounts are about 3/4" tall, so you can't easily slide boxes and the like over them.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old May 15th, 2016, 10:21 AM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
Thanks for the information. I have 2 high back and 1 low back seat in the second row. I am considering putting 1 lock and fold seat (on one side) and 2 jump seats (on the other side) in the rear cargo area of my 110. It is doubtful that all 3 rear seats would ever be used at the same time. Questions for you; - Do you think this configuration would work? I like the idea of having jump seats and i'm fine with the kids sitting in them on occasion. But for longer trips, i would like them to have a shoulder seat belt and forward facing. - Is it annoying/inconvenient to have the bracket(s) bolted to the floor of the cargo area? Does it bother you at all when loading things or for any other reasons?
That configuration should work fine. I thought the floor brackets would be annoying but they really aren't an issue. If anything the sometimes they prevent boxes and bags from sliding around. If you are regularly loading large boxes etc I could see that they would be an issues but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Old May 15th, 2016, 10:32 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor, seats