New Exhaust configurations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
New Exhaust configurations

Hey guys,
The exhaust got torn off by a big stick at the back of the Y pipe the other night, and looks like the whole thing needs replacement anyway. The current configuration looks fairly stock except only one muffler just after the Y pipe. Years ago, I replaced the exhaust on my CJ (AMC 360 motor) with 2 1/2" duals (no Y pipe) dual Dynomax SuperConverters and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (no cross over pipe). I love the sound of it and flows very freely. I would like a little throatier sound on the Rover, and was wondering your opinions on how well that CJ set up would work on the Defender. I'm in a part of Wisconsin that does not require emissions tests...yet.

Also, just wondering why the factory used two different styles of converters and two mufflers. One seems quite sufficient.

Thanks!
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

On my classic and on my 110, I have one single muffler after the Y pipe with no resonator, the pipe after the Y pipe was fabbed up lickety split at my local muffler shop for $80 and with a magnaflow on the classic it sounds great, the 110 has a rimmer bros SS sport exhaust and it is a bit quieter. If you go with a magnaflo you don't need duals.
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Magnaflow has an off the shelf cat back system now as well as the long available Borla systems..

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20229

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Thanks, guys. I checked out the other thread and, with some awkward navigating and return emails, I got a best price of $478.40 from the site referenced there. Even that seems to me to be uber expensive, especially if it gets a good whack on the trail. I can get the Dynomax SuperTurbos for about $55 with shipping and then have my local guy mandrel bend the pipe. I know it's not ss, but I don't have to worry about a trail hit either. Plus, the when old Dynomaxs went bad on my Jeep, I just took the reciept (which I unbelievably still had!) to the part shop and they gave me brand new ones...free!

I know you guys know A LOT more about Rovers than I do, so I'm just wondering what I'm missing. Or, is that just the price you pay if you want ss and are willing to take the risk of getting it torn off on the trail?

Thanks again!
Pete

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no cats tune the maf and a Magnaflow.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
no cats tune the maf and a Magnaflow.
Sorry for being stupid here, but does that mean I should remove the cats and tune the maf?
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What Phillip is trying to say, is you can remove the cat's and re-tune the ECU, there is a setting for the ROW (rest of the world) that do not use CATs. It is not legal in most places, but you could do it.

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Well, alrighty then. I'll check into that. The cats that are on there not have to be really old, most likely original. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust