New EPA "rules" soon to effect a new class - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Every time there is another gun massacre the NRA and gun companies stir up a frenzy of you are going to made to give up your guns by Government.

Seems to me that SEMA has taken a page from the NRA playbook on this issue.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2016, 05:20 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
So Oscar, are you advocating for further intrusion by the state (Fed Gov't) into how we (free private citizens) can alter an off road vehicle (ORV)? Or am I just not pickin' up what you are puttin' down?
What I'm putting down is this: it's always been illegal to do what people (otherwise known as criminals) have been doing. Just like it's always been against the law to import a 5 year old Puma with a 25 year old VIN.

I might have been chumming for someone who was superficially aware of the "Law Change" but deeply vocal about its scope... Because, come on, it's funny to see people wig out on stuff that ends up being on snopes.
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have always thought that the Law should include intent. The EPA guidelines are to lower emissions. OK I get it. But is a Puma motor more EPA friendly than a 2.25 NA. Stupid question right. It seem that the government sometimes can miss the big picture. I live in the county where everybody, well almost everybody, burns a fire for heat. How much stuff is that putting into the atmosphere? Should we mandate regulations that you have to have a scrubber on your chimney? I believe that we can get more bang for our buck looking at other things to lower emissions than the little guy trying to have fun building a race car. Now how much money goes into the economy from that person buying parts for that? How many jobs is it creating?
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2016, 11:43 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
http://jalopnik.com/what-happened-to...epa-1758599661

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Daddymow, are you implying that blackfield's understanding of federal law is somehow a personal attack against you or your personal liberties? There is such a thing as objective reality, correct?

Where does "advocating further intrusion" come in? As far as I can tell, that was something you fabricated, not what blackfield stated at all.
Ed, I don't know where you got that I feel Oscar's understanding of federal law is a personal attack on me. I did however ask Oscar for clarification (using the humorous phrase "just not pickin' up what you are puttin' down?") which he did - and I value. Ed, I apologize if my humor offended you.

As for objective reality, I do know that back in the eighties and prior one could hop on a plane and fly to Europe and purchase whatever cool car one desired. Ship it back to the United States of America and pursue one's happiness on the highways and byways of this great land in that car without interference from the federal government. However North American distributors of Mercedes Benz and BMW did not like their market share/profits being cut by these individuals who dare pursue their happiness in vehicles not sold by them. And thus the arbitrary 25 Year Rule was born. Corporatism at its finest.

Is the government preventing me from buying a 2010 Puma intruding into my personal liberties? Or perhaps that is just me filtering reality through my internally biased mental filters to come up with the skewed subjective reality that the 25 year rule makes absolutely no sense whatsoever (other than to protect the profit margins of JLRNA, BMW, MB et al).
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Name one available legal aftermarket part for on road use that alters emissions.
Lol.. fine, I'll play. One part would be a high discharge ignition coil. They produce high multi spark discharge at high rpms/increase plug amps by 100% allowing for a more efficient spark that in turn increases combustion rates and efficiency. ..........

Old April 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Update, but you know theEPA won't give it up, .... really

EPA proposal to regulate race car conversions dropped after outcry | Fox News
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:32 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
I have always thought that the Law should include intent. The EPA guidelines are to lower emissions. OK I get it. But is a Puma motor more EPA friendly than a 2.25 NA. Stupid question right. It seem that the government sometimes can miss the big picture. I live in the county where everybody, well almost everybody, burns a fire for heat. How much stuff is that putting into the atmosphere? Should we mandate regulations that you have to have a scrubber on your chimney? I believe that we can get more bang for our buck looking at other things to lower emissions than the little guy trying to have fun building a race car. Now how much money goes into the economy from that person buying parts for that? How many jobs is it creating?
I just cannot agree more with you on this one. The number of companies in the automotive and enthusiast market and the volume of money that moves through the industry are enormous.

What the EPA seriously need to understand is that when a decision is made there are many other things that needs to change. Besides the market and industry/economy they will single handedly destroy, they are destroying a way of American living.

(I would like to think) most Americans work hard and with hard earned money they spend it. One of the ways of spending and living.. one of American wayo'life is working on our cars in our homes. We have been that. You take that away, you take away the very American thing we have had, you take away people's happiness.

They need to think why we are one of the largest automotive countries in the world.

This law will ripple down so far it is ridiculous. Automotive society and the component manufacturers need to monitor this craziness. Their very livelihood and existence are on the line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions