New Dual Optima Battery Tray + Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

New Dual Optima Battery Tray + Question

I bought this battery tray from the UK for $30 (See attached image). I'm planning on replicating it in CAD (if it fits, haven't installed it yet) and post the drawings here so that anyone who wants to make one can download them.

Related question. Has anyone attempted to fit dual Optimas on the Passenger side in the seat box as opposed to the drivers side? I know the opening is much smaller. Curious if they both fit in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	25449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
where did you get the tray? ... I have a delivery coming from the UK and need a new battery tray ..
Old February 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The passenger seat compartment in my trucks is too small and low for a battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I got the Devon4x4 twin tray and am very happy with it, I have enough space to fit a charge isolator in the back corner and hopefully either an inverter or my carPC up against the outer edge of the seatbox. It is tempting to make new seatbox trays eventually to make more room too. I looked at all the various options and running isolated with accessories off the aux and the starter off the first and the option to join them seems best, the paranoia of getting stuck somewhere with no starter battery is strong . I know goodwinch is also coming out with a 24v winch turbo kit which could be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Why do you need anything. I just have a little spacer (1" insulation board) under the batteries and two go in there no problemo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	25466  
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

That is what I did originally but I got the tray specifically because I wanted
to put a bunch of other things in there as well and felt it would be
more secure. That and I was not too sure the stock hooks would take the force of 80+ lbs of battery in a collision, this way at least they are held in place a bit more securely.

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2010 08:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The passenger seat compartment in my trucks is too small and low for a battery.
What is you got an oddesey and laid it on the side?

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got it on Fleabay uk. Very helpful guy. Here's a listing: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-90-...#ht_554wt_1167

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2010 09:26 PM ------

I suppose that works too. I just wanted a solid, screwed down base for a piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Why do you need anything. I just have a little spacer (1" insulation board) under the batteries and two go in there no problemo.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is solid and very secure.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:32 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Does it level off the box? I hate that stupid dip.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I hear ya, John. I plan to use mine since I already bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is solid and very secure.
------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2010 10:35 PM ------

The one I got should. It is bent to form a square box on one side (see pic).

I'll snap another when I install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Does it level off the box? I hate that stupid dip.
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:24 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Cool, take some shots of it in there with no batteries installed.

Not to hi-jack but I just installed this sweet battery kill switch. It allows you to run 1, 2, 1+2 batteries. and the nice thing about it is you can switch in midstream and not lose power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	25471  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have the same one but I have yet to install it. Did you get the switch only or the switch+ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Cool, take some shots of it in there with no batteries installed.

Not to hi-jack but I just installed this sweet battery kill switch. It allows you to run 1, 2, 1+2 batteries. and the nice thing about it is you can switch in midstream and not lose power.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I just leave Optimas on the store shelf where they belong. Highly recommend real batteries like Deka SeaMate or Intimidator. You can mount them any way but upside down.

>Not to hi-jack but I just installed this sweet battery kill switch. It allows you to run 1, 2, 1+2 batteries. and the nice thing about it is you can switch in midstream and not lose power.

Hope it is a field disconnect type 1,2,BOTH,OFF switch, or you'll be buying a new alternator if you try that trick.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I have the same one but I have yet to install it. Did you get the switch only or the switch+ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) combo?
I just got the switch without ACR. I think it should work fine. I bought the Hella disconnect and its basically the same thing. This has two terminals for the two batteries and one out which you run to the starter.

o2batsea it is OFF/1/2/1+2. Why would it kill my alternator?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
>o2batsea it is OFF/1/2/1+2. Why would it kill my alternator?
There are two kinds of 1,2, BOTH, OFF switch. One is just a rotary switch, wherein the contacts break as you turn from one position to the other. If the alternator is charging when you change positions on the switch, a charge can build up in the alternator and fry the diodes. This can happen in as little as a half a second. There are a few ways around this. One way is to install a "zap stopper" which will blow before the diode pack. Available a West Marine, or most marine supply. The other way is to use a "make before break" type 1,2, BOTH, OFF switch. This type will keep the alternator's charge flowing without harming the diodes. They're called "Field disconnect" switches. Cost is only a few bucks more.

If you have the regular kind of switch, don't move it with the engine running. Whatever you do don't let helpful people ferk with it.

Personally, I would recommend a "smart" type alternator regulator as well as a Yandina battery combiner that will charge the two batteries separately. In this way, all battery banks get charged without risk of flatting the start battery. Charging takes place automatically and eliminates the 1,2,BOTH,OFF switch entirely. You can run the stereo, winch and lights without the engine going and not worry that you won't be able to start the truck.

1968 2A 88

Old March 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I really appreciate it. I'm not that good with electrics. I am going to read more up on it tonight to see what I have. I just installed it last night and it works. I have yet to go in between the switches while it is running so I will keep that in mind for which switch i have on and keep it there for the running time.

I thought I read that you can switch mid-stream, but I will double check and steer clear til I see if I can or not!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
This is the thingamabob you want...

Here is a link to the Yandina battery combiner. Anywhere it says "boat" insert the word "Rover". Everything that sucks about 1,2,BOTH,OFF switches this doo dad fixes. I have the 150 in my boat and it works flawlessly and without user input. I'll have one in the 109 project as well. Any time you have multiple batteries, you want this.

If you want to go all in with a smart alternator regulator, go to Balmar.net. They have a thing called a MaxCharge that will automatically sense exactly how much charge your batteries need. Add a temp sensor for the battery terminal and the alternator case and you have a thoroughly bombproof charging system. Everything they tell you about it is absolutely true. You can sometimes find them on FleaBay under the Xantrex brand...exactly the same device just different packaging. I paid $35 for a new one two years ago, so happy hunting. Also look at Jackrabbit marine and amplepower.com for even more off the grid survival shazz. Inverters? Oh yeah....

12V tech isn't too complex, just fiddly.

1968 2A 88

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The ACR from West Marine does the same thing as the Yandina, doesn't it?

Automatic Charging Relay:http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=12106

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Here is a link to the Yandina battery combiner. Anywhere it says "boat" insert the word "Rover". Everything that sucks about 1,2,BOTH,OFF switches this doo dad fixes. I have the 150 in my boat and it works flawlessly and without user input. I'll have one in the 109 project as well. Any time you have multiple batteries, you want this.

If you want to go all in with a smart alternator regulator, go to Balmar.net. They have a thing called a MaxCharge that will automatically sense exactly how much charge your batteries need. Add a temp sensor for the battery terminal and the alternator case and you have a thoroughly bombproof charging system. Everything they tell you about it is absolutely true. You can sometimes find them on FleaBay under the Xantrex brand...exactly the same device just different packaging. I paid $35 for a new one two years ago, so happy hunting. Also look at Jackrabbit marine and amplepower.com for even more off the grid survival shazz. Inverters? Oh yeah....

12V tech isn't too complex, just fiddly.
------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2010 11:21 PM ------

I'm very happy with my Yellow Top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I just leave Optimas on the store shelf where they belong. Highly recommend real batteries like Deka SeaMate or Intimidator. You can mount them any way but upside down.

>Not to hi-jack but I just installed this sweet battery kill switch. It allows you to run 1, 2, 1+2 batteries. and the nice thing about it is you can switch in midstream and not lose power.

Hope it is a field disconnect type 1,2,BOTH,OFF switch, or you'll be buying a new alternator if you try that trick.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Blue Sea and Perko both make them with the disconnect. I certainly wouldn't go by this before risking your alternator, but in all the pictures, the ones that have this feature say "Stop engines before switching OFF". Bottom line, look up your model number on the manufacturer's website and read what it says. You may have inadvertently picked up the right one!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Andrew. Will do, but what am I looking for exactly? I understand it needs to be compatible with the alternator. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Blue Sea and Perko both make them with the disconnect. I certainly wouldn't go by this before risking your alternator, but in all the pictures, the ones that have this feature say "Stop engines before switching OFF". Bottom line, look up your model number on the manufacturer's website and read what it says. You may have inadvertently picked up the right one!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery