New Defender owner needs tips... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
tboyle27
Tripp Boyle

New Defender owner needs tips...

I'm buying a '95 hard top D-90 from my girlfriend's dad and am extremely excited about it. I'd like to make a bunch of mods in the coming months and could use some tips from all of you. Thanks for the help!

-What's the best place in the Boston area to take the car for mods that I can't do at home?
-I really want to add a roof rack. Suggestions? I like the safari style racks but want to make sure that still makes sense for carrying surf/snowboards along with camping gear and stuff.
-Any suggestions on cool interior mods?

I'm sure I'll be around in the coming months for more hints and hopefully to share my successes.

Take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Tripp if your going to put a roof rack on make sure it will fit in the boston garages.

City Side Garage can take care of all your intended mods ,Allan is a great guy.

Some stuff you should be able to do yourself.

The D90 is easy to work on.
Welcome to the fun and excitement of owning a d 90
Old December 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I know Hannibal and Safty Devices make a nice rack for the D. the NAS specific SD racks are pretty pimp

Follow-up Post:

o yeah def be willing to get your hands soiled with the D. they are easy to work on.
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Here are the same basic tips I give everybody that buys, or is looking at, new defenders.

1. As soon as you get it, change ALL the fluids. Oil, Anti-Freeze, Brake fluid, Clutch Hydraulics, tranny, transfer case, rear axle, front axle, booth front steering knuckles, power steering. Most of these are probably still the same ones put into the truck in the UK, I know few people that actually bother with these. It's also a good way to get used to where things are on the truck if you do your own work. This may run a couple hundred at a mechanic, but is well worth it. If you do it yourself, the power steering fluid is annoying to do (you will need the manual, since the system has to be purged), and you'll need some kind of suction pump to put in new tranny fluid due to the location of the fill hole.

2. Inspect the brakes, belts, hoses and plug wires. Change as needed. Pay VERY close attention to the hoses for the oil cooler, if this hose fails it can cause either your engine to sieze or even the truck to burn down.

One of the most common, and most useful, interior upgrades is a new set of gauges. You'll know what I mean the first time you drive at night. That, plus the temperature gauge is known to be very unreliable... it flat out lies to you sometimes. The clock is also total trash, mine never worked right. Most guys here go with the VDO Vision gauges for the better visibility and because they also have a speedometer that fits the odd sized hole in that series. Some folks have been rhino-lining the back cargo area, mounting tool/gun boxes, adding rear seats... all sorts of stuff.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Everyone here can recommend tons of different mods. Knowing what your planned use for the vehicle is, would help with recommendations.
Congrats on the purchase
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My advise would be to drive the truck for a few months before you touch it... Learn what it can do bone stock and then add the mods that you need for how you are going to use the truck. It does not make sense to build an awesome rock crawler if you are only going to cruise around town and maybe hit a forrest service road or two. Everyone uses them differently.

Also, hook up with a local club or a few guys off this site, let them show you the ropes. Pick up a RAVE disc off ebay, it will help you work on the truck yourself.

Scott

Old December 12th, 2005, 03:09 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

My Truck won't fit into any Boston garages, but I don't really care...if you want to get the best service and mods for your truck in Boston the ONLY place to go really is Cityside Garage in Holliston. www.citysidegarage.com. Alan Elliot, and his crew know these trucks inside and out...and are a bunch cool cats to boot.
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Perhaps it's time we organize a Boston area get together!

Welcome Tripp. I suggest waxoyling it for good measure.

The ONLY garage in Boston I've found that fits a truck with a rack is the Seaport Hotel. Anyway, the NAS racks are hard to come by. You might throw a call out to the reorganized Safety Devices to see if they are back in production. Or call around, it's surprising what dealers have in their parts inventory. That's how I've located two racks in the past.

And Cityside Garage is your place to go. A little hard to get to, but well worth it.

Drive the truck for a while. I think you'll find you want the most basic of interior upgrades, like heated seats, a top that seals, etc. Better to keep it basic to start.

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up:

I just noticed this interesting rack entry: http://www.northwestparts.com/

Old December 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
tboyle27
Tripp Boyle

Smile Thanks for the help!

And keep it coming if you can add some cool insights. Just to update you all on what the use for my Defender will be, I plan to use it mostly for beach and trail driving, no rock climbing yet, but perhaps in the future. I'll definitely stop buy CitySide Garage when I get the car just to meet the guys. It sounds like the best place around so far.

Any suggestions on winches and winch bumpers? I'm pretty new to working on cars but very excited to get my hands dirty, and it sounds like i picked the right truck. I am looking forward to owning her for a long time...
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyle27
Just to update you all on what the use for my Defender will be, I plan to use it mostly for beach and trail driving, no rock climbing yet, but perhaps in the future.
Galvanized chassis You'll want to do it sometime, but it's pretty expensive. However, I would take Dave's advice and WaxOyl that thing if you'll have it on the beach. Also, get the stainless kits that are available on here (search for the SS fastener thread) to save your hardware. Diff guards are good for trail driving incase you ping your pumpkin on something on the trail. Sumo bars or a steering guard will keep crap from breaking off your steering components too.

Tuffy consoles are nice too, but not as big a deal in a SW.

Just my 2 cents, and welcome to the club!
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
tboyle27
Tripp Boyle

Is it easy to WaxOyl myself?
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Doug Aitken
Doug Aitken
1995 D-90

Winch: Superwinch!
Bumper: Rockware!
Rock Sliders: Bill Burke (if you can get 'em!)

Doug A

Old December 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Agree with Doug, except that I'm a warn user. oh well. Definitely Rockware bumper and BB sliders.

Either way, if it's beach driving, start saving your $$. Those body panels and chassis don't like the salt.

Waxoyl is easy to apply. Hard part is getting it inside the chassis. Plus, the surface area on the underside of the d-90 is enormous. It requires lot's of waxoyl. Alan at Cityside could make some recommendations too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
new defender