New Defender New Member - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

New Defender New Member

Finally got my NAS Defender back from Dubai...new 2" TerraFirma Lift, new bushing kit, and new Coopers. She drives great as far as tracking straight and all, but I notice a vibration when I left off the gas at about 100 kmph...so I have a few questions???

I've read that you can swap out the front drive shaft with a Disco II prop shaft (PN TVB 000100...link below) that has a double-cardan joint that will work better with the angle difference due to the lift kit.

http://www.driveshaftparts.co.uk/pro.../prod_187.html

Or will one of these wide angle prop shafts designed by Gwyn Lewis (Link below...UK Company) work just as well? Looks like they make wide-angle shafts for both the front and rear. Any experience with these shafts out there.

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page36.html

Also, my left rear sliding window rattles like a big dog. Can you get the felt strips for the window tracks or do I have to replace the whole assembly?

Last...well, for now anyway...looks like Safety Devices is no longer making roof racks for the NAS Defenders, so that option is out. Plus, not sure I want that much weight on the roof anyway. So, looking at aluminum/alloy options...Rhino, Frontrunner, etc... Does anyone know if these company's have a solution for mounting with the external cage on the NAS models? It appears to me that they are all gutter mounted, which as far as I can tell won't work with the roll cage.

Sorry about the shotgun blast but have many more questions and excited about all the data and knowledge on this site. I'm sure my journey into my new "money pit" is just beginning, but hoping to to be able to learn a lot from this source.

Has anyone fit a Double-DIN radio (new touchscreen multi-media/navigation type) in the lower console where the stock radio is, or is the only option to install a after market console in the center dash? It looks like the shift cable to the transmission is in the way.

Does anyone have any experience with the TerraFirma tube bumper and winch installed on a NAS Defender. Do you have to cut the grill. There's discussion on TF about AC vs. no AC but I think that is referring to the newer Defenders vs. the NAS model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

A "2" inch lift on a Defender often means, vibration/noise from the front driveshaft angle. Installing a double cardon, or similar, front shaft usually cures the problem. If you use a D2 shaft you also have to change out the transfer case output flange.
A new felt kit on the window takes care of the problem. A guy here on the board sells a cool kit for this. (can also be found on Ebay)
Do a search on the rack as I remember somebody doing an aluminum one.
I have done a MUD UK center dash section, similar to a TD5, and installed a 7" Nav, double din.
You can call Justin at Lucky 8 about the bumper. I think he has done and or sold some.
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Terrafirma tube bumper (but make sure its a AC model) will take a winch without cutting the grill. I have a M1200 and just fits.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Here is the link for the new "felt".
http://www.garrisonoutfitters.com/?sPath=2

His solution to the rattling windows solves the problem with the original felt.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34760
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

You fellas are awesome! Thanks for the quick help!

MC-That's what I figured on the DS...now I just need to figure out the best route to go. Because I'm over here in Abu Dhabi, UAE (Retired US military and flying over here now)...I'll probably try and source what I can from the UK just to save on shipping. And, best case scenario is either genuine LR or Brittpart, or Allmakes/Terrafirma...as they have parts stores here that make things extremely convenient. If I have too, I can DHL from the states, but only if it's not available with the above folks.

The new window felt kit...awesome! And I think I can bite the DHL bullet on those; gotta have it! Thanks for the link Yudda!

As far as the racks...I've found both Rhino and Frontrunner here but there still researching the external roll cage issue with the NAS Defender; so we'll see what happens with them. In the mean time I will definitely search the forum for other aluminum options.

I also figured I would end up going the MUD UK option with the radio as well; but if you don't mind my asking...what did you do about the stock radio sitting in the center console then? Did you just leave it there or did you change out the center console as well. I do like the MUD UK option as it will provide more room for light switches and probably winch switches too...but was wondering if I could try and keep it as stock as possible. I'll be importing this thing home when I've had enough here; so don't want to go to crazy with modifications. But I don't think that will matter to much.

Roverman-Thanks for the words on the bumper...how do you like the TF tube bumper?
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:07 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I like it, sits up nice and high. Not had any load on it yet, still fitting new chassis, the mounting points are pretty heffy, I don't think the outer edges will fair as well opposed to the ARB.

Had to tweek the winch mounting holes to fit the M1200, But as I was given this winch by her indoors I have to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay items 013.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	65267   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-nov-2011 093.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	65268  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The Tuffy box stereo opening for the CB.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, new defender