New Defender and some doubts.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:47 AM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

New Defender and some doubts..

Good morning, Guys.

I recently bought a 90 td5 defender, and I have some issues regarding the machine.
I will put the doubts by points to be easier and thanks to any answer that you guys can give me

1- In the cold, in the morning when I start the car, in the first maneuver (for example, getting out of the parking lot), 1st and reverse makes a squeak sound at the clutch point (clutch in the bottom or top does not). In the other gears does not and after warming up it stop making this noise of the squeak in any situation .. Is the car getting at right temperature, oils going to the places they belong etc and is it a normal thing or not?

2- Still on the clutch, the pedal has a spring just like the accelerator but it has no spring, is it normal?
Image in attachement

3 - The Defender comes with a Fedima Fronteira 265 / 75R16, which brushes in the tightest maneuvers, and I want to switch urgently to the original tires, but incredible as it seems I still can not find out the original measures, maker brand and model.

4 - Finally, I am changing the blinkers for the original (came with transparent) and one of the connections of the blink plug does not exist, and I have to order one, can someone tell me where I get this piece?
Image in attachement

And that's all, sorry for the endless list of questions, but I decided to condense everything into one post instead of doing 4 or 5 ..and sorry for the poor english!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	186226   Click image for larger version

Name:	stc1188.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	186234  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmeida View Post
Good morning, Guys.

I recently bought a 90 td5 defender, and I have some issues regarding the machine.
I will put the doubts by points to be easier and thanks to any answer that you guys can give me

1- In the cold, in the morning when I start the car, in the first maneuver (for example, getting out of the parking lot), 1st and reverse makes a squeak sound at the clutch point (clutch in the bottom or top does not). In the other gears does not and after warming up it stop making this noise of the squeak in any situation .. Is the car getting at right temperature, oils going to the places they belong etc and is it a normal thing or not?
Worry when you begin to have difficulty shifting into or out of gear. Sounds like contamination on the clutch disk maybe? That or the clutch release bearing going out. Wait until it gets bad then have it repaired.

Quote:
2- Still on the clutch, the pedal has a spring just like the accelerator but it has no spring, is it normal?
Image in attachement
I don't think there is a pedal return spring on the clutch but maybe on the TD5 there is?

Quote:
3 - The Defender comes with a Fedima Fronteira 265 / 75R16, which brushes in the tightest maneuvers, and I want to switch urgently to the original tires, but incredible as it seems I still can not find out the original measures, maker brand and model.
That seems a little fat for a truck with no lift. 235 85 16 is a more reasonable size.

Quote:
4 - Finally, I am changing the blinkers for the original (came with transparent) and one of the connections of the blink plug does not exist, and I have to order one, can someone tell me where I get this piece?
autosparks

Image in attachement

Quote:
And that's all, sorry for the endless list of questions, but I decided to condense everything into one post instead of doing 4 or 5 ..and sorry for the poor english!
There are plenty of native speakers less articulate

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:17 AM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

Thank you for your help @o2batsea!
That info sure was very helpfull!

Still, about the tyres, i totally agree with what you said, i dont understand why the owner wanted such big shoes if he never went do dirt, still, do you know the original maker brand and model of the defender tyre?

Regards
Joao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:26 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmeida View Post
Thank you for your help @o2batsea!
That info sure was very helpfull!

Still, about the tyres, i totally agree with what you said, i dont understand why the owner wanted such big shoes if he never went do dirt, still, do you know the original maker brand and model of the defender tyre?

Regards
Joao
I think they were likely Dunlop or BF Goodrich, but thats a guess

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 2nd, 2017, 06:28 AM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

Thanks!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:56 AM
4RF RDS
Kevin
2000 110 XS CSW

Registry
X

The Td5 does have a clutch assist spring on it and or a pedal return spring depending on the market. The EU market had both depending on country destination. It is worth purchasing the assist spring kit and installing it. It looks like this...

LAND ROVER DEFENDER TD5 CLUTCH PEDAL ASSISTANCE SPRING KIT - EDP7510LKIT | eBay

As for original tire size EU market vehicles had 7.50x16 tires fitted. As suggetsed 235 85 R16 is a very good compromise size.

Oh and welcome to forum... your English is great! Cheers
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:16 AM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

Thanks 4RF RDS!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Those tires look like BFG AT knock offs.

If they are rubbing the suspension arms, adjust the steering stops to suit. Hopefully you have stock wheels. The 265/75-16 size was standard on US bound Defender 90s.

Welcome to the fun and torment of Rover ownership!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208928086.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	186354  
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:32 PM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

Yes, they are too big for the original suspension, i want to put the originals, as soon as possible!

Lets hope its more fun than torment ehehe

Thanks!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:06 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The NAS D90 trucks all came with the 265 tire size. Adjust your bump stops so that it stops the tires from hitting the radius arms at full turn lock. Wont cost you anything. Might be much happier with the larger size in the long run.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:48 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
The clutch squeak as you describe it is probably the pilot bushing, this is a common issue on TD5's in that vintage.

To go in and change a bushing, you end up doing the clutch. The squeak will come and go,(usually more evident in cold temperatures and initial sort up) and eventually when you are tired of listening to it, do your clutch.

The bearing can (will) eventually fail, but you will know when it's getting close. The noise will be constant, and you will have issues shifting.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

Thanks CDN38, you really describe it well, so i thing it's really possible, it is what you are saying!
So new clutch on the go!
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:32 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Looks like you have no clutch return spring...

Here's the part numbers and procedure all laid out for you.

https://thegippo.wordpress.com/2014/...tch-pedal-mod/

The Che Overland blog has lots of useful things for Td5 owners....

Enjoy.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:41 PM
Jalmeida
Joao Almeida
1999 defender 90 Td5

I dont! it's so strange how the previous owner, never saw that and never had problems with the clutch like that..

Still, its working good (does pressure, both up and down), but i will order it right away and install it!

Thank you for the link!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, new defender