New D90 owner with a Couple of Problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
New D90 owner with a Couple of Problems

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums. I am the new owner as of 2 weeks ago of a 94 D90 softop. I'll post pics soon.

I have already run into one problem. I live in socal and it just started raining. I left my car in the rain all day and night yesterday and it wouldn't start this morning. I did a search on this forum and its seems like some people have had this problem before but I havent found a specific remedy. Any suggestions on what to do? The ignition is working like normal, all the lights go on, electronics all start up in the car, fuel gauge starts showing how much fuel I have, but the engine wont actually turn on.

Also I live in Los Angeles and noticed some people here are from the SFV. Anybody know a good independent mechanic to bring my car to? I saw people recommended some in Orange county but nothing really in the city of LA.

Any help on the car not starting issue would be great. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Congrats on the 90 and welcome to the forum. Does the truck turn over? Is there a puddle of water on your passenger side floor mat?

Couple good shops on the Westside of LA but I dont know any in the Valley.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

John

Which shop do you like? I find I like them for about two repairs then want to burn their shop down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
There was a puddle of water on both the passenger and driver side floor mats. Which shop do you recommend on the Westside?
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Fish out the computer on the passenger side footwell and see if it is getting wet.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I put my money on the distributor/wires. Give any one of the normal rover mail order places a call (Atlantic British, Rovers Down South, Rovers North) and get a new GENUINE distributor cap, rotor, and maybe even get new plug wires. If you get wires, make sure to get the new version of the wire b/w dizzy and coil. This one has a rubber shroud that fits over the end of the coil to keep out moisture. This will help too.

This is a semi-normal rover issue so don't panic just yet. I had the same issue about a year ago where it wouldn't start if it was wet out -not even necessarily rain, but even a dewy morning. If I could get it started and let it warm up it would run just fine.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

sounds like battery cable loose or bad connection at battery.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
if it turned over i'll place my bet on the fuel pump relays needing to be cleaned..
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is a process to this:

1. When you turn on the key, does the check engine light go on and then off?

If no, check computer for water. Dry out or replace computer.

2. When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run?

If no, check silver relays and replace faulty one or preferably BOTH (you should carry a pair in your car at all times). If you don't smell fuel or hear the fuel pump run after replacing the silver relays, you have bigger issues, see below.

3. Do you have spark at the coil wire (put coil wire near metal and look for spark)? Do you have spark at the plug wire (put plug wire near metal and look for spark)?

4. Are your injectors firing (buy $4 tester from AB or put a multi-meter on the plug to see).

I will have to finish this later, but answer these four questions and we will be well on the way to finding the issue, although I would bet dollars to donuts on the silver relays or computer getting wet.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Not sure if you have your trucking running again?

I would follow Ron's steps/suggestions. Plus you could use a hairdryer to dry out the engine bay, mostly around the distributor cab/wire and even the coil.

Yep hairdryer and if it starts after this you most likely have a crack in the cap/wires/coil wire issues (moisture not good)?

But I would also check/replace the relays...
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
John

Which shop do you like? I find I like them for about two repairs then want to burn their shop down.
I knew that was coming. I was going to say Four Oaks in Santa Monica and that other place the name is escaping me on Jefferson Blvd near home depot in Playa. And yes I know which shop you want to torch and they are only good for custom work.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Actually you might have mentioned one that I want to burn down but you are right not as bad as the one for custom work.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
I left my car in the driveway and hitched a ride with my brother to work. Can't wait to get home and try out your guys ideas. Hopefully its a quick fix. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I think I may want to burn down one of the shops you mentioned too, John. The one for custom work may rape your wallet but I've yet to have any major issues with their work yet (noticed I said "yet"). I've seen the shop on Jefferson a ton of times but have not heard a thing about it.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Wait so you mean that both of you had a bad experience at Four Oaks? The one on Jefferson worked on my RRC and was very reliable and inexpensive.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yea its raining here in Los Angeles, and i got some leaks from both vents (keith from BP is bringing new ones tomorrow) but what I did is when I put that 95 disco chip, I helped seal the ECU case with a little black silicone so in case if water does get in there hopefully it won't get in the case. So far so good, starts up just fine. I'm willing to bet that water into his ECU is the problem. The rain we get here isn't that crazy enough to get to the distributor, it isn't the east coast, and the rain we had yesterday was like a hard drizzle.

Robert Deniro
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well let me rephrase my four oaks rant.
Pros:
They let me bring any part I have to the shop and are willing to just charge labor. I know Brian had an issue with this but I never have.
Cons:
When I first got the 90 they replaced my slave and master cylinder on my clutch. No big deal but when I was driving home, some guy pointed to the front of my truck because smoke was coming out of the grill. I pulled over popped the hood to find a rag that I presume was used to clean up fluids on my manifold in a small ball of flames. It fell off onto the ground and nothing was damaged but I was enraged.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I see so they almost torched your truck and you want to return the favor. I get it now.
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Yep, brought my own Tcase (bought from the said custom shop - not sure why I just didn't go straight there for the repair) with Larry's approval. Once the repair was completed, I discovered a leak from my transmission. Brought it back, Larry said they must have damaged the output seal when installing the tcase. He admitted it wasn't leaking when I brought it in and that he wouldn't cover the cost of labor to repair the damage he did. He claimed it was all because I brought my own part and he doesn't warranty his work because of that...totally understandable but the part I brought was fine, it was a part he damaged that he should have fixed. Needless to say, not going back...

Interesting to hear the shop on Jefferson might be worth a try.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Do your own work = Stop getting 12" black dildo into your anus.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, problems