New D-90 Owner Question - Driveline - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
New D-90 Owner Question - Driveline

So I am a new D-90 owner!! I just got my 94' home last night. I noticed while driving it home that when I coast, then apply the gas quickly the driveline jerks. It sounds like a binding or what I usually associate with a bad u-joint. I crawled under it today and all the u-joints appear tight. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and can you give me a few other places to check? I will check the all the rubber mounts and suspension parts tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Congrats and welcome to the owners club! First order of business is change your profile Rover, because someday is now today!

Sounds normal. if it's really loud or abnormal, could be just driveline slop (possibly normal) or bad/loose bushings/mounts in the undercarriage. tons of reference in these threads for possible theories, inspection points and isolation tests. Just search on "vibration" and start reading.

If someone asks you in the meantime, say "It's a rover thing, you wouldn't understand...."
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks for the quick reply! That's right, I do need to change my profile - woohoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
BTW I'm Army Guard. OIFII vet. Another forum member on here in Baghdad right now. You're in good company, Marine.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Congrats! How many miles on it? Expect a certain amount of driveline slop to be normal.

I'm about 45 minutes away in South Riding/Chantilly if you ever need help or a place to wrench on your rig. We also have semi regular gatherings to drink beer and discuss rovers, usually in Arlington. Next one is on the 25th.

charles
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Charles. Mine has 97k miles on it. I consider myself pretty handy with a wrench and I do have a plethora of tools. I do need to pick up some metric stuff though! I would like like someone to look it over and give me some suggestions. I am paranoid about the oil cooler lines, but they look pretty good to me. I am still going to replace them with some better ones. Keep me in the loop on your gatherings.

My email is slickwillys@gmail.com

Semper Fi!
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'd be happy to look at it anytime, although I am in no way an expert. Change those lines regardless. I had a place in chantilly rebuild my old ones, but I recently did an engine swap and need to redo these too (different timing cover and oil pump prevented me from reusing the old ones). Waiting for my new radiator and will do it then.

The current happy hour thread is

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12483

charles
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Next important order of business, get your oil lines changed!
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I took a quick look at his willy's restoration writeup, and I am sure he's on the ball...

J, I'll come to you to see your truck anytime - and see all your tools and toys!

charles
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks for the shout out Charles and taking the time to visit my website. Yeah, I restored Jeeps in my spare time, and just sold my prized 1950 Willys CJ-3A to buy a Defender!

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90