New D-90 NAS owner Help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

AVOID that dealer. Those prices are insane. Buy some tools and DIY. None of this stuff is hard to do yourself. There are lots of lawyers, computer guys, accountants, bankers, business owners etc. on this website who do almost all of their own work.

Ron
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post

You never said.... are you mechanically inclined or declined????????
I am mechanically inclined but with limited experience. I've done simple things before (full tune ups, putting on a cold air intake, new ignition, coils, bolt on cat back, etc... all on a fullsized bronco I had when I was in HighSchool), and have wrenched on everything around the house... biggest problem is that I live nowhere near my childhood home (where my father has many classic cars and we care for them ourselves) and so my tool supply is pathetic. I also live in an apartment building and am a medical student, so my time/money/ability to store tools is very limited.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I have limited space but you'll find you can keep quite a sizable collection of hand tools under the passenger seat ... previous threads have covered recommended tool lists and plenty of people are willing to pitch in with suggestions on how to perform a particular task.

You could buy more than the basic tool needs for what the dealer wants to steal from you to do a few straightforward jobs ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Andrew View Post
....I also live in an apartment building and am a medical student, so my time/money/ability to store tools is very limited.
What year are you? I bought my Series III after the first year of med school. Great stress reliever. I also lived in an apartment with only hand tools. It's do-able. Biggest problem was storing all the parts you take off. Wish I could afford a Defender back then. I picked up my truck from a lawyer in Miami who got in way over his head. He decided to buy a BMW instead

You should try and do everything yourself. You'll get to know the truck better that way. With guidance from all the great guys here on the forum you should be OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Andrew View Post
... I also live in an apartment building and am a medical student, so my time/money/ability to store tools is very limited.
Isn't that what they make student loans for....

just kidding.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Don't go to the dealer. They (usually) don't know much about Defenders or care (or both). I just started learning about the mechanics of Defenders 1 1/2 year ago when I bought mine and I live in a condo building with shared parking for now (moving to house soon). Same situation as you, which is not ideal but you can make it work. You will save the most money and have the most fun by trying to do as much as you can by yourself. Find a local rovershop to help you with the things you aren't ready for. Where is your Defender parked? I work on mine in a shared garage. I have had people complain when I changed the oils but I couldn't care less. I love my defender and I can't wait to get my garage back. Mine is a daily driver. Just make sure you take care of all the mechanical maintenance first before you spend money on pimping it out. Anything that there is not a record of, change it. You can buy tools as you need them, there is a great thread here with lists of useful tools that people have. Last thing. If you want to know something search this forum. A lot of things have been covered several times over and for those things that haven't you can start a new one. This site and the network of people on here has been the single most useful tool I could ever wish for when buying my Defender.

Thanks fellas.
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:45 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Thanks again to everyone here. I've been busy lately and have been taking care of things as they come along and as time permits. I've spent a fair amount of time down at rovers down south (as its prob. 10 miles from my house) picking george's brain etc. Got the clutch MC and slave cylinder replaced, and changed out all the shock bushings and sway bar bushings, and doing small things myself. I got the new PS hoses in, but have been putting it off, as it hasn't been leaking enough to demand it yet, and my time is short.
About my truck, its a 95 NAS station wagon, number 384. I am the 4th owner (D. Powers, Charles Harrell, Rob Johnson) and the 3rd owner barely drove it, and was a garage queen. 70k on the ODO, although after talking to George, Chuck Harrell put a new 4.0 into it (although the engine still says 3.9, and the heads are the original from what I can tell). The Oil cooler lines had already been replaced.

If Charles is a member here I'd love to ask him some questions about the rig. Also, to the brain trust here, is having a 4.0L change anything? I'm talking mostly about oil capacity, spark plugs, oil filter type, plug gaps, etc that I should know about? I've grown paranoid about the dipstick now b/c it hasn't used a drop of oil since I got it and i'm afraid that somehow this is wrong and I'm going to burn up my engine.

Thanks again to everyone here!
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

4.0 block changes basically nothing as far as you are concerned.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
New Rover

I recently (25 days ago) got a Defender 90 (1997 SW) as well- just like the originator of this thread I had been drooling over them since my dad had an 88" SII back in the mid 80's.

Time to check my oil lines too- yikes.......

This website is a great resource and I am thankful for all of the great info!
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
They aren't show trucks, so drive it and enjoy it.
Exactly! As one of my coworkers so eloquently commented on our fleet, "These are workin' girls, not show girls."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, nas