new coil wire - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
new coil wire

So I just bought new wires, plugs, dizzy cap, and a new rotor. I was excited to see that the new coil wire has a rubber 'boot' around the coil end, but I can't figure out how the boot goes around the coil. This seems like it should be relatively straight forward but I am not finding it to be as intuitive as I thought it would be. The other two connections at the coil make it impossible for the boot to cover the end of the coil. Not to mention that the boot itself seems to be a little big for coil. Does anyone have any experience with this new boot on the coil wire?

I haven't played with it too much, but when I get the chance I may try flipping the coil around so the wires come out the top, and just try folding the other wires around the side of the coil. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I took some pics of the new coil wire. Also, I was looking at my invoice and it describes the new wire as for a 4.2L motor (I've got the 3.9 like most). Does anyone know if that difference would make a real difference? I mean... a coil is a coil is a coil... right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coilwire1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	12211   Click image for larger version

Name:	coilwire2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	12212  

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i think it might be a different length. When I bought my Magnecor plug wires I had two wires for the coil. One ended up being the perfect lenth for the coil for the 4.2 LWB so that where it went.
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Are coils supposed to be mounted point down, point up, or does it matter? Mine is point down and, before I filled the cup with silicone, would sometimes get water in it and die during creek crossings. Thing is, most my wires are too short to have it point up, but I could probably make it work.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I put the old wire along side the new one and they are about the same size. Currently my coil is mounted point down, but i think the cover would work better (since physics says water goes down) if the coil was pointed up. My dilemma is getting the rubber cover over the coil while it's pointed down; it's just too crowded down there.

I am gonna try to get the coil to point up this weekend and will report back for those who are interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil