New chunky noise in the drivetrain somewhere.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

New chunky noise in the drivetrain somewhere....

Not 100% sure where this one is yet, won't be able to start pulling things apart for another week or so, but here's what I got.

When in neutral, and moving under 20mph or so, I'm hearing a pretty fast popping noise from somewhere in the drivetrain. The brakes and steering have no effect on it.

When in gear, no noise.
When stopped, no noise.
Put the T-case in neutral, tranny in gear, bring the RPM up while stopped and no noise.

Put the T-case and tranny in neutral, engine off, roll the truck downhill, there's the noise.
Put the T-case in neutral, tranny in gear, engine off, roll downhill, still have the noise.

So I'm thinking it's not an issue with the transmission or engine, nor do I suspect a problem on the input side of the transfer case. Maybe the driveshaft, or CV joint?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

U-joints?

jC
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Guess that is possible, but IIRC they aren't that old. Maybe 25,000 miles or so on the front shaft. Though, the rear ones being in bad shape for so long may have done a number on the fronts due to backlash and such maybe. So they are high on the list of things to check.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Wheel bearing? Been off roading recently? might have got a stick or something stuck; maybe a brake shield thingy.....cheap fixes first.

(I'm hurting for proper names for stuff: sun is baking my brain)

I am interested in the diagnosis....

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Crawled underneath some more today. U-Joints are rock solid. Noise is definitely coming from inside the front axle somewhere. Problem is, it's got 100k miles on it, so it's got a lot of slop in it now. Seems to be worst in the left-front. I think I'll just order a CV joint kit, and tear it apart. If I don't need it, I'll keep the thing as a spare.

-Hans

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, got an update on this one.

Noise went away..... kinda. Had a nice big "Thunk" from somewhere in the front end, and the noise dissapeared. Problem is, new issue surfaced. While turning, the steering wheel now starts to kick back, but not just once, it pulses back at me 5 or 6 times in the course of a turn. And occasionally, a "Thunk" while turning.

Tore the right side apart today as that's where I thought the "thunk" came from, everything seems fine. Cage on the CV isn't broken. No obvious galling, cracks, chips or other wear. No metal in the knuckle oil that I can see. Don't have any grease for repacking the bearings, so I have to pick some up and put it all back together tomorrow. Then I tear apart the left side, ordered a CV joint which should arrive tomorrow also, hope that I find something wrong there. Bearings all seem ok too. Old, but ok. Nothing that would cause what I am having. Considering new ones anyways, since everything is apart.

Old July 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
revorder
JP McInerny

hans what kind of diff are you running up front? Try cranking your steering wheel all the way lf, then with TC in "N" - jack up Fr Rt and spin tire. Then do the same with the steering turned Rt and left Fr jacked up. If your CV is binding bad enough to pulse wheel you will find it. I would also not rule out a stock diff issue. JP
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, the front diff is something I have also considered as possible. I hope not, but then it will give me an excuse for something better. Right now it's still the stock diff. If I have to replace it..... ARB or TrueTrac? Hmmmmm... My credit card will hate me, but what can you do?

But I'll start with the easy stuff first. I did pick up a full new set of bearings for the wheels, one of them did seem too loose to me. And since I'm pulling both CV's anyways, it's a "Might as well" sitation.

Old July 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Hans if your gonna upgrade the diff why not now... Send the cv back & call Keith & get the real stuff....I mean you have it apart!???!?!??!
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Got a new set of bearings, some grease and 90wt, got the right side back together.

Went to tear apart the left finally. Another case of "Smack the previous owner". I had never had this one apart before. Wheel bearings were way too tight, and I don't think LR used any "Super-Blue" grease in the past, and I can tell it was all disassembled at some point.

Bone dry inside the swivel housing, bearings fried, hub seal dry and cracking.... stub bearing thankfully fine and well greased. CV joint? Photos speak for themselves, I think I found my problem.

Glad I don't have to do the diff yet (hopefully), because if I do have to replace it I definitely want to upgrade it. But I want to do it properly and also rebuild the whole carrier while it's apart. But i just don't have the cash right now, and I still have to save up for that M1 Carbine from the CMP later this fall.

-Hans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badcv.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	9885  

Old July 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM
dkjbama
Derek Johnson
'97 D90ST - Lil' Mule

CARNAGE!!! `You gotta hang that one on the wall in the garage.
Lil' Mule - 1997 D90 ST Monza Red #1254
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Damn that blows! Well could have been worster!
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep. Could have been much worse. Unfortunately the stub seal leaks, so I'm getting gear oil into the wheel bearings. Undecided to just leave it? Drain the swivel and go with one-shot? Either way, could have worse things to worry about.

Man, new wheel bearings makes a big difference in the shim stack at the drive flange. Will get back into it in a week to re-set the endplay after they bed in.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions