New Car Blues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Nategracie808
Nathan King

New Car Blues

New Car Blues

Hey guys-I am new to this whole D-90 thing and am going to buy in the next two months. Do you guys think I should have a preference on the year? I realize the whole D-90 imports included 3 years. Any help or suggestions on what to look for would be very useful! I want as much info as possible. Do any of you's drive their D on a daily basis? Thanks

~Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Greetings and welcome to D90 LAND!!!

The first two questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do you want a manual 5 speed transmission ( 94 & 95 ) or an automatic ( 97 ) ???

Also, do you want a soft-top with the safari cage OR do you want a hard top wagon with the safari windows ?

Since you're very new to this board, as I was less than a few years ago, I GREATLY SUGGEST, you start READING EVERYTHING on this site. Go through the forum in it's entirety, then the OLD BBS forum, then go to the YahooGroups section and read those posts, then to RoversNorth BBS, then to LRX.com Forum, Then go to Google and type in Defender... This is going to take you a few weeks if you are serious.

There's no way for anyone to give you the kind of information that the above research will do. I did it, and I'm sure most have as well.

Once you do this, come back with some 'specific' questions.

And Yes, I'm one who drives my 95 D90 on a daily basis and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm currently looking into the costs of my burial and having the truck buried with me.

Hope this helps, and I do hope more 'chime in' to give their opinions...

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

just rember once you buy one say goodbye to all ya money
i drive mine daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Nategracie808
Nathan King

Whats "old BBS Forums"?
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Ok, if you're reading this, then click on the FORUM link on the top of the page...

Then scroll down until you see 'OLD DISCUS BBS'....

That's it.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
This is the place for info on the D-90 I am biased towards the D-90s with the manual they are more fun to drive.

I thought the windows were Alpine windows? isnt that what they call em on the disco?
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I drive my 94 everyday and love it.
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:06 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Phil,

Depending on which windows you speak of...

I was referring to the sliding safari windows, which could be called Alpine... who knows... a trivial matter in any case. Though the Alpine windows could mean the 'top' windows or 'skylight' windows in the back too.

Never paid much attention to it.

Nicholas

Old July 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Alpine windows are the top windows on the SW. I've never heard the sliding windows referred to by a specific name.

EwS
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Nathan, just my 2 cents... It really depends on the experience you are looking for. I am partial to the '94s. I also love vintage cars (the 90 shares the garage with a '64 Porsche 356). So, I am not partial to pratical cars The '94s in my opinion are the closest thing to a vintage series Rover that you can get, hence less practical, hence I own a '94 (with no a/c). My father traded his '94 for a '97ST and likes it much better. It seems to be more quiet, airtight, and comfortable. If it is to be a dialy driver, and you don't mind the auto trans, go with the '97. I would say that the '95s are a bit in the middle for practicality and comfort. I have probably confused you more...
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I don't think there is really any difference between 94/95 other then front/rear taillights. I have a 94 with the 380 transmision vs. the lt77 but I have driven both and they are so close I can't tell the difference.

My advice would be to try to find one with A/c. The insides of these things HEAT up quick. And you feel like you are sitting on an oven when not moving. The A/C is awesome and even with the top off I sometimes run it in traffic and it makes a huge difference.
My 2cts.
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think the only differnce with the 94/95 is the tranny which to my understanding many were replaced by the dealers, the square VS round tailights and the 94's had signlas in the bumper which was........ I think the turn signals in the vicenity of the headlights were also of a different size? sorry about typos.
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:24 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

The motors are slightly different too. 94/95 = 3.9 and 97 got crossbolted 4.0 with OBDII.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions