New Bulkhead Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

New Bulkhead Install

I am installing a brand new LHD D90 bulkhead (I acquired some years ago) on my NAS D110 as I go thru the rebuild. I had a few questions I was hoping people could help with (Search didn't seem to find what I was looking for):

1] Is there anything I should do before install to repair or fix common problems for leaking on the bulkhead? On my NAS D110, i recall that most people get leaking on the PS area and I have the typical rust and leaking there now. With the new bulkhead, is there some repair or added caulking/sealing to do to ensure no water ingress later?

2] I will need to decide if to use the fresh air vents since the new bulkhead has screens (and I prefer to use them) while my NAS D110 bulkhead has the blanks there. Should I cap off the vents to avoid leaking there or is the fresh air feature worth the potential hassle of that area leaking (or doesn't that area leak on D90s?)? I am installing a D90 dash as well so I will have the mechanisms there to work the vents - just wondering if they are worthwhile (I think they would be) vs a source of future problems and leaks. BTW - if anyone knows where to get the vent flaps/hinges/seals pls let me know - haven't found them yet on RN or other places I am looking.

3] Any other fitment issues or items I should address while the bulkhead is off?? I know the AC system doesn't directly port to the new D90 bulkhead/dash but my AC isn't working now so I can address that later. Heater and defrost should still work fine (using the engine-mounted heater/AC box) according to what I've been told.

Appreciate any guidance on above.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Search for water ingress manual ... It's the LR doc that explains where the leaks come from.

Galvanize the bulk head but brace it to prevent warping and remove the vent screens as they fill up with zinc.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Thx for the TSB tip - that document has some good info.

I am not galvanizing the bulkhead - too many other issues going that route. Since its new and off the shelf before install, we can do a proper epoxy prime and paint job on it and it will be fine for another 20+ years.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Since it's a 90 bulkhead I'd keep the fresh air vents myself. With a good seal they shouldn't leak. I believe series seals which attach to the bulkhead (not the flap like a NAS one) work, but I have not personally tried this yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions