New Altenator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Question New Altenator

I need to replace the altenator in the d90. Are there any better than the other??? I heard something about mean green but don't show a land rover listing on their website. Any upgrade??? I don't know to much about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I have always had good experiences with Wranlger Power Products. The link is to a 200 amp max, 105 amp idle output alternator with brackets for use on a '95 Defender. A little pricey, but a nice quality upgrade.

There is of course Mean Green as well. It is a little disturbing to me that they don't actually put output numbers on their website, and I have heard both good and bad in the past about their products (starter's primarily), but another option none-the-less.

I had a 160 Amp Wrangler Power Products alternator years ago on a Pathfinder. It ran flawlessly for the 7+ years I had it, and put out about 95 amps at idle (measured by my mechanic at the time). As an Off-Road enthusiasts, idle and just off idle output was the most important to me...

Which ever way you go, don't forget to upgrade your charge and ground cables! (1/0 fine strand welding cable would be my recommendation). If you measure them out you can have Wrangler make them custom length for you. Again, very high quality materials, but not the cheapest game in town.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I would have to recommend against the Mean Green simply becuase they do not have a bolt up alt for a v belt motor. Apparently though you can get a serp belt one to fit with modification.

If you search you will see the thread about my experiences after buying one.

I ended up getting one from Will Tillery (Roverguy). IT was $200 shipped, and is a rebuilt 140 amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Scott, Thanks for all the info. Wrangler has some really nice stuff. Mean green doesn't show any listing for land rover/ defender on their website. Does anybody know a model number??
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I have used MG alternators in a few vehicles and have a mixed opinion on them. They are very heavy duty, put out a lot of power and last forever and I have had great luck with them in several early bronco's, and tow rigs... In my 95 D 90 ( which had a serpentine belt to the alt) the MG I installed worked great but always seemed to vibrate at higher rpms... enough to be noticeable while driving.. the lower mount was not a direct fit, it looked like a trail fix at best.. MG sent me a new an improved front face plate casting ( the original was a machined billet piece) that was supposed to help, I never tried it out before switching my 3.9 for a 300tdi. I had been toying with the idea of machining a new face to fit in my 300tdi but decided to try the new msd 160AMP instead..
With that said, if you , or anyone has any interest I still have my MGT in my garage and would let it go for a deal.......
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Tom,

I might be interested, what do you think you want for it?

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I think I paid about $350 for it.. How does $175 sound?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions