New Air filter box for HS 2.8 engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

New Air filter box for HS 2.8 engine

Hello,

I am changing the air filter for my International HS 2.8 TGV engine.

I had the original square and relatively small Td5 air filter installed (my truck was a Td5 until the previous owner installed a 2.8 TGV engine) and now I have decided to adapt the cilindrical and much bigger air filter that came with Ford Ranger 2.8 pickups (same engine) until recently in South America. This air filter has 85% more surface area than the square Td5 filter.

I have purchased the new F Ranger cilindrical air box and filter in a Ford dealer and I am currently adapting it to my Defender 110.

I thought about installing the original 300 Tdi cilindrical air filter but it looks like the Ford Ranger filter is even bigger so I decided to go for it.

My mechanic is suggetsing using PVC pipes (sold as water pipes) which are 8cms in diameter (which is the diameter of the exit pipe in the Ford Ranger air filter box) in order to make the connection betweeen the air filter and the VNT turbo because the original Td5 flexible black air hose is not long enough.

My first question is: are PVC pipes OK for this job? Should they do OK with the relatively high temperatures of the engine bay? He is planning to glue these piepes together.....

The job seems is pretty staright forward but is delicate since any mistake may be risky for the engine in the future if anything fails.

Any other considerations I should bear in mind for this job?
I have seen some pictures of 2.8 engines in Defenders and it seems some people have used stainless steel pipes to make the connections. is this the best (and most expensive) way to go about doing this job?

ANY suggestions or comments will be of great help.

THANKS in advance

Regards,
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I would ask you to please no put home plumbing products in your engine bay. There's already too many brass water shutoff and half-assed jobs out there. I think stainless would be best route, and you're not dealing with something that will be terribly expensive to make anyway.

Where are you mounting this filter? In the 300tdi location?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

The new filter is being mounted close to where the 300 Tdi filter goes but not exactly in the same place. It will not be aligned from front to back as the 300 tdi one.
Instead, one end of the cilindrical air box will go right in front of the heater box (mine has the small black heater box instead since it is no AC) while the other end is located more or less behind the dipstick of the engine.

I will post some pics once it is ready.

Follow-up Post:

Would a combination of straights and curves of blue silicone hose be another option?
The distance I need to cover is about 1 metre and a half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Santiago......why do you think changing to this filter over the Td5 will be that much better??

I would argue the 85% increased surface area may not be needed as long as you change your Td5 filter when needed. It may even restrict your air intake in comparison.
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Just beacuse many people said this engine needed a bigger filter.
I am not sure whether these people are right or not nor if I will notice a difference but I decided to try and see fro myself.
It is not very expensive and I am keeping all the Td5 filter parts so I can go backwards if required.

Why should it restrict my air intake if the length of piping involved is the same and the filter is bigger?

Cheers
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Original Ford Ranger 2.8 TGV air box and air filter installed and working.

Initial driving suggests significant change (for the better) in high rpm's, like the engine makes less noise and increases rpm's much faster and easier than before. Feels like the engine is willing to go faster. Seems like road drivng will be significantly improved.

Need more testing but preliminary test indicates Td5 air filter was TOO SMALL for the 2.8 TGV engine.

The Ford Ranger 2.8 TGV air filter is similar in size and shape to the 300Tdi air filter, perhaps even a bit bigger.

2 pics attached.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07100-1.JPG
Views:	1004
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	19152   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07101-1.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	19153  

Old November 17th, 2016, 04:33 AM
hirobosuddo
Nigel Suddaby
1989 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Original Ford Ranger 2.8 TGV air box and air filter installed and working.

Initial driving suggests significant change (for the better) in high rpm's, like the engine makes less noise and increases rpm's much faster and easier than before. Feels like the engine is willing to go faster. Seems like road drivng will be significantly improved.

Need more testing but preliminary test indicates Td5 air filter was TOO SMALL for the 2.8 TGV engine.

The Ford Ranger 2.8 TGV air filter is similar in size and shape to the 300Tdi air filter, perhaps even a bit bigger.

2 pics attached.

Cheers
Hi, could you tell me the part number of the air box you have used and the piping if you know them please as this looks like the ideal set up and would like to do the same to mine? can I ask if you are using a snorkel what size is the pipe and do you get any restrictions in power through that?
I have one other question what size pipe do you have on your exhaust and is it straight through? and do you know if the standard 300tdi front pipe will fit the TGV engine
sorry for all the questions thanks in advance

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine