new 110 owner questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

new 110 owner questions

So, I have been shopping around and lurking here for months and the time has come. I am, this week, purchasing an 85 CSW and it has some issues. I am getting a fairly good deal so I am willing to cut and weld here and there to remove some rust. My question is about the door sills, or what I think are the trim pieces that protect the door seals. Its the little round pieces on the floor that the door closes against. They are rusted to s%$t. Is this something I can fab up myself and repair or are they readily available? I cant seem to find anything on line. Number two question is about the axles. From what I understand is you need the newer axles to put the alloy wheels on, why is this, is it a bolt pattern thing or is it an offset issue? I am replacing the worn out stock suspension immediately and getting new tires and rims but I want to do this right the first time, opinions anybody? This is my very first post but the flood gates are open. I have gained so much knowledge from this site over the past year and I will appreciate any help I can get from you guys. I look forward to becoming a part of the land rover community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The sills are part of the "t-pieces." They have been hard to find of late and run ~$375 per side when you can find them. You can weld in new channel if they are not too far gone, but odds are at the dog leg by the rear seat they are trashed.

Regarding alloy wheels, the hubs stick through the center, but otherwise I believe they fit with maybe a little trimming of the back of the wheel. Or you can run spacers.
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

How involved is the axle swap job, what would i be looking at price wise? Would it make sense for me to just go buy an old trashed Disco 1 for parts. I'm in Cal, those things are everywhere here i could probably get one for a grand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

If you swap to a Disco rear axle you lose the Salisbury (a Dana 60 in LR skin), which is much stronger than a standard LR axle. You also lose GVRW, since the standard LR axle from a Disco is not rated for the 110's load capacity. Also be aware that only a couple of styles of LR alloys are rated for the 110's load capacity. That's why most 110's are on steel wheels.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
How involved is the axle swap job, what would i be looking at price wise? Would it make sense for me to just go buy an old trashed Disco 1 for parts. I'm in Cal, those things are everywhere here i could probably get one for a grand
What you want to do is convert your salisbury rear to discs.

Are you changing to Left Hand Drive? If so, I disco front is the easiest path forward.
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
....My question is about the door sills, or what I think are the trim pieces that protect the door seals. Its the little round pieces on the floor that the door closes against. They are rusted to s%$t. Is this something I can fab up myself and repair or are they readily available?
Yeah what Ron said. I have an 83 110 I have been working on and what I found is that the more I dug into the T posts, everything just crumpled around it. It was easier to just buy a new set than to rebuild them. They have been very difficult to get, well, they were when I needed a set. I got them from SafariResto. He posted some not too long ago, may want to give him a call:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29083

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

YRM in the UK makes all the parts, you just have to pay shipping and have patience.

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/defender-8-c.asp
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags