Needed: template for NAS rear lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2010, 10:32 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Needed: template for NAS rear lights

Does anyone have a template they are willing to share? I'm converting to the 95/97 style rear lights and would like to locate them as per the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't have a template, but do you have the correct corner cappings yet? I think its best to start by positioning the capping and working based off of the cutout for the light. Then go from there with a straight reference line (I used tape) and the right spacing.

That just keeps ensures the light base lines up well with the cut out so that it doesn't look crappy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I need this information too. Jim, do you know what the correct spacing is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
SafariDust - FlaD90 may have a template available for you, but here's a thread with some useful close-ups.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23768
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't remember the dimensions - I was just copying it off my 95 when I did converted the 93.

Old June 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Bozman did it not too long ago too.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't have a template, but do you have the correct corner cappings yet? I think its best to start by positioning the capping and working based off of the cutout for the light. Then go from there with a straight reference line (I used tape) and the right spacing.

That just keeps ensures the light base lines up well with the cut out so that it doesn't look crappy.
Yes Jim, I have the cappings from Stephen Peters and they are really nice!
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah the cappings are sweet, much nicer than original. What I did was install the cappings so that I knew exactly where the half-moon cut out would be. Then I established a horizontal line across the truck using some tape. If you copy the spacing from a 95+ then the light plinths will just barely cover the holes left from the 93/94 style lights. When positioning the plinths, I dabbed a little a paint onto the tiny plastic pin on the rear face, so when I held it up to the tub, it left a little mark and I could tell where to drill the hole.

My plinths came with screws in them already, but I took them out since it made it harder to line them up on the tub.

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Cabell, I do not think a template from a NAS spec 90 would work for your ROW truck anyway due to the lower ROW rear light hole.

My 97 style rear corners arrived from Safari Rover today, I removed the ROW lights and corner capping and it looks like I will have to work around the lower original ROW light hole as the plinth studs for the NAS lamps are floating in the ROW hole with nothing to drill into.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabell View Post
Does anyone have a template they are willing to share? I'm converting to the 95/97 style rear lights and would like to locate them as per the factory.
Dude- drive fast take chances. Run up to my barn,you have the keys, and grab one of the big gnarly hole saws and hack your shit up. Stop being so "template-as per factory" prissy.

PS> don't drink the Stellas in the barn fridge....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Cabell, I do not think a template from a NAS spec 90 would work for your ROW truck anyway due to the lower ROW rear light hole.

My 97 style rear corners arrived from Safari Rover today, I removed the ROW lights and corner capping and it looks like I will have to work around the lower original ROW light hole as the plinth studs for the NAS lamps are floating in the ROW hole with nothing to drill into.
Interesting. Well, I'm replacing the quarter panels, and I happen to have some NAS rear body panels so I guess I'll have to use them as well. At least my LH wing will still be original to the truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, nas