Need winch recommendation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Need winch recommendation

I'm finishing up my D90 off-rading preparation and need to order a Winch.

Can I get some recommendations ?

I was told the Warn 9.5ti but I also like the RC and the Power Plant models, but know nothing about them. I will be installing this on a MOAB bumper from Doug Shipman.

Also, since my brother is moving back from Chicago in the next few weeks and the US Dollar is low compared to the Canadian currency, I'm looking for any info on Winch sales and good deals going on the USA, which could be shipped to Chicago.

Thank you for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Any variation of the 8274 is still my favorite. Easily upgradable if needed and if something does go wrong in the middle of nowhere you can always use a Ford starter motor and solenoids to get it moving again. They are abit tall but it would be hard to find a faster winch that lasts 25+yrs and doesn't melt you pricy synthetic cable. Just my $0.02.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Saw a new 9.5ti in action this weekend and would say it's the best thing out there right now, fast, easy freespool and strong. Nice thing about them as well is no crossbars for the line to bind up on, handy on side pulls.
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

I'm likely to cause a ruckus here, but the smittybuilt XRC 8 and 10 winch can't be beat for the price and for a few dollars more you have a killer warranty from 4wd parts. Oh yeah, they match web prices as well. I had a great experience with my 8 until I sold my truck. Synthetic line and very well built in my opinion FWIW. Half the price of the Warn or other more popular models. I have had six winches in 10 years and the only one I was not happy with was the Warn and it came down to price, not features or performance. Meaning performance was never an issue and features on winches don't really set any particular one apart from another. Also, check out the harbor freight roller fairlead. Quality construction I would set side by side with Warn or Ramsey for a fraction of the cost.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I just put in a milemarker Si 9.5 The couple of runs have been great.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Any winch you install on a bumper is only as strong as the bumper mounts. As you can see there are as many opinions on winches as there are choices.
It boils down to having any winch is usually better than having no winch when you are truly stuck. Ramsey is my brand, but you go with what feels right. I'm considering a hydraullic winch on the hybrid whenever that gets off the drawing board. Prolly a Mile Marker with a Prince pump.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I'm happy with the T Max 10,000
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Go with a Goodwinch TDS, they have external brakes so will not melt a synthetic drum and drum seals so will not fill with muddy water the first time you dip it and have solid state solenoids that won't randomly fail on you. My Warn 9000XP lasted about a year before the environment killed the motor and messed up the interior pretty badly. I hear Warn may finally be sealing some models but check on this.

If cost is not a concern then you cannot beat a Red Winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Superwinch Husky 10 is my favorite...

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Once you've used an 8274, you can never go back.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh D90 View Post
I'm likely to cause a ruckus here, but the smittybuilt XRC 8 and 10 winch can't be beat for the price and for a few dollars more you have a killer warranty from 4wd parts. Oh yeah, they match web prices as well. I had a great experience with my 8 until I sold my truck. Synthetic line and very well built in my opinion FWIW. Half the price of the Warn or other more popular models. I have had six winches in 10 years and the only one I was not happy with was the Warn and it came down to price, not features or performance. Meaning performance was never an issue and features on winches don't really set any particular one apart from another. Also, check out the harbor freight roller fairlead. Quality construction I would set side by side with Warn or Ramsey for a fraction of the cost.

I'm with you I have the XRC 8 as well and I'm happy with the decision.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I love my Superwinch Husky 10. It's a beast of a winch, well-made, and looks right on a Defender.

I used a Mantec bumper, a Brownchurch brush guard, and Amsteel Blue winch line.

I did a write-up on my install here.

More photos here.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Spend the big bucks and get the Powerplant. It is a 9.5Ti with the built in compressor. It is rather large so not to every bodies liking. The bigger question is what winch will your bumper take. The Warn are off set a little more than some of the others. The 8274 is really tall and expensive like the powerplant.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Avoid department store winches such as T-Maxx, Smittybuilt, Cummings, Mile Marker (electric), Chicago Electric, Tabor, etc.. Stick with a brand such as Warn or Superwinch. Ramsey is good, too, but not as good as they once were.

Avoid the common "it's just a re-badged Warn" gossip when it come to cheaper winches. It's not.

It's a lot cheaper to buy one good winch rather than buy several el-cheapo winches. I've had the Mile Marker and they work fine for a few years, but they just do not last.

The Huskey 10 is the last winch you'd ever buy. You can't not like that winch for what it is, but I hate it. The worm gear drive is ridiculously slow. It's as slow as a Mile Marker. But the Huskey 10 just won't quit. It's a great winch, but I still hate it.

The 8274 is a bitchin winch. Love those things. But they're big. Actually, they're huge. But it's an awesome winch.

Those Warn Powerplants are a waste of money. They're big, ugly, and worthless. If you want on-board air, buy a dedicated air pump.

The Warn Ti series winches are tits. Very nice winch. They cost some coin, but they're a very nice winch. Good duty cycles, great line speed, and they're well built.

The Warn XD series winches are good, too. I have the XD9000i that's forever old and always works. That means a lot when you . I've had two of these and they've been fine.

I'm not a big fan of the M-series Warn winches.

The best bang-for-the-buck, IMO, is the Superwinch EP9. You can get them for $540.00, shipped, from Amazon.com. That leaves you a few extra bucks to buy some synthetic winch line. We've got this on the GF's LR3 and it has no problems pulling that heavy ass truck. Its been installed for 4-years now and still works like new.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The older Warn 9.5HS is the best winch there is IMO. Nothing is faster. You need to find it used. One is for sale right now on pirate. $700. It's small, light, fast, and strong and won't melt anything (myth). Good luck with whatever you end up with.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I like my little Superwinch Rock95 but it seems they have discontinued it in favor of the new Rock98. Only 50 feet of 3/8's line but finding a tree is rarely a problem where I wheel most of the time and you can always anchor to another truck or use an extension. Mostly it gets you down a few wraps on shorter pulls which is nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0174.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	36080  
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

ive got the 9.5ti warn and some viking line and love the performance of that winch....i had to enlarge my SG bumper to fit but no biggy.....i also have seen the ep superwinch and that is great as well and they have a awesome warranty, opposed to warn which i hear can be tough to deal with
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The line on the winch drum is subjected to UV exposure, dirt, ice, and water which is pretty rough on it and mine from Viking lasted 2 years before it started to snap with even a moderate pull (and it was originally rated at I believe 16,500lbs) and unless you're in very arid conditions and can put a cover over the winch (another good reason to use an 8274 in addition to the Gigglepin upgrades available is it is generally easy to cover completely.)

This is why for line I strongly recommend using a kernmantle sheathed synthetic rope available from Masterpull or Marlowe (there may be others but these are the two I know about) where the core is covered with a braided sheath to take the brunt of the abuse and UV exposure. They're more expensive for sure but what I'd recommend is putting on a heavier line than you expect you'll need and significantly less than the winch drum will take length-wise, 75ft is usually more than enough. Then carry some unsheathed winch extension lines or cables which are much cheaper and use those when you need to go further from the vehicle.

This is wholeheartedly what I wish I'd done the first time.

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Well, I agree with some of that.

No winch on a truck this size should EVER have a 5/16" rope, period. 3/8" minimum. 5/16" is not adequate safety factor.

Cover it up when not in use. Clean it and respool when dirty. You should get MANY years out of the rope when treated well and it should never, ever break.

75 feet would be useless in my experience. I used the whole 125 feet of my line a few times last weekend. I carry another 125 extension when that is not enough. With the 8274, I still have a ton of space on the drum, so do not need to worry much about overloading one side on a long pull.

Good speed, big drum, runs all day and never complains. 8274....

The 9.5 series Warns are nice and fast but the drum is still small.
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Mine was on a D2 in an ARB, covering it was not an option. My only objections to an 8274 and similar is covering so much of the intercooler and rad area in front, and for a rear winch... not very viable if I want to be able to open my rear door

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch