Need water pump badly - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Need water pump badly

Found my waterpump was weeping tonight. Wondering if anyone had a water pump in the Norfolk, VA area that I could pick up. Need one tomorrow (Monday). If you have one, I will order a replacement part for you and just have it shipped to your house.

I'm having knee surgery on Wednesday and need to drive to CT the day after, therefore, need to work while I can still walk.

Any idea how long replacing a water pump takes?

Thanks.

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj

Any idea how long replacing a water pump takes?

Thanks.

-Neil
How many times have you ripped apart the front of your engine? If you are familiar with everything you can do it in a couple hours. If this is a first attempt it could take you all day easy. If you can't find one elsewhere, your local dealer and probably NAPA will stock them most likely.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
its a pretty crucial repair. lots of bolts in al. different lenghts and what not. I imagine you could make it with it dripping. keep some fluids with you keep filling. I drove mine dripping for a week. just smelled like death and killed that shitty plastic plug on the rad.
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Mine blew on the SW this summer and it was a complete mess... I thought it would give me a few days to order one, pick it up and install it over the weekend, but that was not the case. As usual, it blew on my way to a new client meeting.
Don't risk it, get it fixed or borrow another car.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

just went through that this weekend. Set aside a good two hours if you are organized. Its not one of those quick deals. Its $55 shipping for over night part being about $89 and another $10 for the gasket. The part comes with a gasket and they don't tell you. The oe gasket you purchase seperate looks a lot nicer.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
just went through that this weekend. Set aside a good two hours if you are organized. Its not one of those quick deals. Its $55 shipping for over night part being about $89 and another $10 for the gasket. The part comes with a gasket and they don't tell you. The oe gasket you purchase seperate looks a lot nicer.
Shane, where did you get yours from? Care to PM me your number in case I need some technical assistance over the phone tomorrow? Thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Couple hours.

Getting the fan clutch off the snout is the biggest hurdle.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I did mine at the firehouse and it took a while to get everything off and out of the way. Overall I would say it took about two hours. I have a 94 3.9 v-belt.

concerns: remove clutch fan. I used a strap wrench and a large cressant wrench with two cheater bars. You need two people. Not hard, my little wife helped me the first time to break that nut.

the bolts that you take out of the water pump are different lengths and must go in the correct holes, so keep it organized.

I also did not use a gasket (the new one was folded from shipping and ended up with a rip) I use Right Stuff and have not had a leak. You also want to put a little Right Stuff on the longer bolts.

It is no hard, but do not try to rush it.

brian
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Couple hours.

Getting the fan clutch off the snout is the biggest hurdle.
When I did my Disco, I borrowed the right fan wrench from Autozone. It was a piece of cake to get off.

For me the biggest pain was removing all the old gasket from the engine. Over an hour bent over, going at it with gasket remover and a plastic scraper. Man, did I have a sore back.

Don't forget to use the rigth thread sealant on the bolts that need it. See the manual or the RAVE CD.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

....and make damn sure you get all those bolts back in the correct holes as if you mix them up the longer bolts in the wrong place will easiy blow a hole into the timing chain cover ...and little bits of aluminum end up in the timing chain.

No personal experience there other than having seen the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Monkeyboy

Only two suggestions ...

- Use thread sealant on the bolts that go into the water jacket.

- Since I sometimes have temporary brain fade, I usually get a piece of cardboard and draw an outline of the piece I'm replacing ... that way when I remove the bolts, I just stick them into the cardboard and can be sure they go back in the same location they came out of.

I've replaced one on the Disco and one on the Defender. The worst part of the job was cleaning the old gasket material off the block face!

KAA
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Did the water pump on my disco (different animal, serpentine belt, very easy to work the front of the engine). Took me about 3.5 hours (that includes looking for the wrenches and cleaning up the mess after the job as well as replacing the thermostat gasket, refilling/mixing coolant and purging).
Do use the carboard trick to stick the bolts... I tripped over them and they flew everywhere. I knew were each go, so I was ok (third water pump install in about 4 years).
The OE gasket looked better, but I installed the supplied gasket.
What went wrong:
- the water pump was stucked/glued to the hose. Has to insert a few flat screw driver all around the housing to make sure I did not damage anything.
I typically take things slow so mileage may varie!

For parts, not sure how far you are from DC, but roverland4x4 stocks Land Rover, Atlantic British and probably others. Give them a call. I got mine from Rover North arrived in 3-days using regular shipping. You probably want over-night though.
On the Disco, no need for a flat wrench, my regular adjustable wrench fits fine.
I am not looking forward to replace the D90 water pump.
BTW, my pump makes noise but does not leak (or not enough for me to spot it). Not sure if it fits the D90, but you're welcome to borrow it as a spare if you decide to drive up (best is probably to order it, ship it to CT and do the repair in CT if you don't have any other option).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water, water pump