Need to replace the Oxygen Sensors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Need to replace the Oxygen Sensors

My engine light keeps coming on and it's my O2 sensors. I've been reseting the light every once in a while hoping it will magically go away but, I'm not that lucky.

I have to replace at least two so I might as well do all four, but it kills me to drop $120 each on these things.

Has anyone used these $20 replacements that I could just wire in?

http://tinyurl.com/y8qftcx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

IIRC, a '97 uses the 12mm 4-wires sensors and that listing is for 3-wire sensors. The other problem is that I've noticed many e-bay sellers just take universal 18mm sensors and list them for things that they don't work for. So I'm pretty sure the ones in that e-bay list won't work

Rock Auto has a lot of sensors listed for the '97 though from $65 and up, and the cross references seem to be legit from what I can dig up. As far as I know, only NTK is making 12mm sensors now, so they theoretically are all the same but just in different boxes...... the $120 versions will be with the correct connectors on them, and the $65 ones you splice in the connector from your old sensors. I've ordered a lot of stuff from Rock Auto, no problems yet.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On my 1994, Yeastie, the PO used cut and splice O2s and they sucked and kept throwing codes. Two new genuine ones later and all was well. BTW, I would only replace the front ones, the rear ones don't do much (pretty sure they just check to make sure the cats are working) and as long as they are working, there is no need to replace. Put the two news ones in front and the two used ones in back. I think Will Tillary www.roverguy.com had a deal on some new ones.
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

did you check oxygensensors.com? It looks like a direct fit and they have both NTK and Denso. I have not purchased from them thou.

http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1187085
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
On my 1994, Yeastie, the PO used cut and splice O2s and they sucked and kept throwing codes. Two new genuine ones later and all was well. BTW, I would only replace the front ones, the rear ones don't do much (pretty sure they just check to make sure the cats are working) and as long as they are working, there is no need to replace. Put the two news ones in front and the two used ones in back. I think Will Tillary www.roverguy.com had a deal on some new ones.
If you just crimp connect them, yeah, they eventually start throwing codes. Solder it, and the problem won't occur. They are the same sensor, just different connectors.

-Hans

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Thanks guys.

I'm throwing codes for the rear ones - short and open faults -- 1193 and 1187.

It's also sucking down gas more than usual and spewing an embarrassing amount of steam when it's cold out (I'm chocking kids at the crosswalk when I drop my boys off in the morning)

All was fine until I removed the exhaust (transmission filter change). I cleaned the 02 sensors when they were exposed and that probably screwed everything up.

They had a bit of residue before the cleaning and when I put them back on, they were not discolored at all.

Regardless, I'll check out Rock Auto and the other suggestions. The eBay option was too good to be true. Thanks for pointing that out.

------ Follow up post added March 28th, 2010 10:56 AM ------

I just shot an email to Will. In checking OxygenSensors.com and Rock Auto, O2Sensors has the NTK for $68 and the Denso for $83. Rock has the NTK at $130 and the Denso for $75 -- Bosch at $87.

Any recommendations between NTK, Denso and Bosch? Note that RN is listing Genuine at $379 each and Proline at $129.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Check http://www.tntlr.com/specials.htm
I think I saw them on sale
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Just ordered them from Will at RoverGuy.com. He had the best price by far on OE.

Thanks again for the help.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Shane, for what it worth I kept delaying the O2 repalcement and I think I ended up burning up my cats which in turn blew a hole in my muffler. I've fixed all that mess and the truck runs much much better and the MPG is much improved as well. Its also nice the dash isnt looking like a xmas tree.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Clay, thanks man. Good point on the other problems. I was just annoyed with the light popping on every few trips. I will say that I've gotten my money's worth on my OBDII reader.

Ordered the sensors already and while my mechanic skills hover slightly above retard level, I should be able to plug them in by myself.
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Pardon while I revive this thread. Took the 94 in (OBDI I guess) to diagnose the CEL. Forgot the # but mechanic said it was likely the O2 sensors (code pointed to rich condition). I told him that they had replaced the O2 sensors no more than 750 miles prior with Genuine LR ($250 each). They still look brand new. So I figured it was the ECU. Got another 14CUX ECU from a Disco I Auto and plugged it in and CEL never came back on so I figured it's fixed. However, I couldn't really road test it for long because my clutch MC was going out. Yesterday on the way to shop to have MC and Slave Cylinder replaced, CEL comes on and stalling issue is back. So, I guess it's the O2 sensors. Mechanic also seems to think that since ECU is from an Automatic Trans vehicle going into a Manual, that could be problematic. The problem with that idea is that this LR shop installed a used ECU from an RR Auto at the same time as the new O2 sensors and it has been running fine.
So, the question is..... has anyone heard of Genuine LR O2 sensors going out so soon after install? What about the Proline from RN? Will check with the sources mentioned earlier in this thread. Also what causes O2 sensors to fail anyway (age, unburnt fuel, excessive heat)? Do they typically go out as a pair or one or the other? There ought to be a warranty on these LR ones for that price.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Is the general consensus still that Will Tillery is best source for genuine 02 sensors?
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Is the general consensus still that Will Tillery is best source for genuine 02 sensors?
Yes, and everything else.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Lately Amazon has been the cheapest (I've bought the last several sets there), though their prices seem to go up and down, depending on if they are sold by amazon or someone else. Right now they are by someone else, and the price is higher. That's on the NTK which are OEM.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

In this case, there is no "Genuine LR" sensor out there.

Only one company that I'm aware of that makes the 12mm Titania sensors used in a '94, which is NGK. All the other boxes are still NGK sensors inside.

If you only got a few miles off the sensors like that, I'd actually consider looking closer at the connectors and wiring condition. They shouldn't go bad that quickly.

-Hans

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
In this case, there is no "Genuine LR" sensor out there.

-Hans
Yes, should've said OEM - and they are for a '97...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, sensor