Need To Lock My Tailgate From The Outside - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2015, 12:55 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Need To Lock My Tailgate From The Outside

"A small job that makes a big difference in a 1994 Defender 90 is to add a locking tailgate latch. The 1994 D90s did not have an exterior lock from the factory, so to lock the tailgate you had to crawl through the interior to lock and unlock the rear gate. Fortunately we have a jig that sets up the hole for the 1995 style look system in exactly the right place, so we simply install a later style latch with a lock. We then match the lock cylinder to the other 2 doors so that one key does everything and poof... you get ease of use and a total cure to something a lot of 1994 D90 owners don't like. No longer will you have to crawl over the seats in this D90 to lock and unlock the tailgate. It is all easily done from the outside just like on the 1995 and 1997 D90s." Quote taken from east coast rover's website.

I am getting to old to be crawling through the interior to unlock and lock my rear gate. How difficult is it to install a "1995 style lock system" to the rear "gate" of my 1994 D90? Do I need a "jig" to do this? Where do I get the parts? Can anyone "walk" me through the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2015, 01:05 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Is your a ragtop or a hardtop?
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:33 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
"A small job that makes a big difference in a 1994 Defender 90 is to add a locking tailgate latch. The 1994 D90s did not have an exterior lock from the factory, so to lock the tailgate you had to crawl through the interior to lock and unlock the rear gate. Fortunately we have a jig that sets up the hole for the 1995 style look system in exactly the right place, so we simply install a later style latch with a lock. We then match the lock cylinder to the other 2 doors so that one key does everything and poof... you get ease of use and a total cure to something a lot of 1994 D90 owners don't like. No longer will you have to crawl over the seats in this D90 to lock and unlock the tailgate. It is all easily done from the outside just like on the 1995 and 1997 D90s." Quote taken from east coast rover's website.

I am getting to old to be crawling through the interior to unlock and lock my rear gate. How difficult is it to install a "1995 style lock system" to the rear "gate" of my 1994 D90? Do I need a "jig" to do this? Where do I get the parts? Can anyone "walk" me through the process?
You need a new latch like the 1995-1997s have (easily sourced) and you will need to drill a large hole in your tailgate that the tumbler barrel goes through. You can make a template of where the large hole needs to be once you get the new latch. Its a pretty big hole. You could drill a hole and then grind the rest, or use a hole saw. We use uni-bits for a clean hole.
The only real trick is that you will not have a lock cylinder (key) for the new latch. So you can either go without a key (but then anyone can undo the lock with a screwdriver) or you can change all the lock cylinders in your 90 out for new ones, or if you are near a place like ECR you can have them make you a lock cylinder that matches your current key.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What mike said. I had all the parts and then realized I rather have someone break in than cut my softtop.
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:51 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Is your a ragtop or a hardtop?
Mine is a hardtop!
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
Mine is a hardtop!
In 1994 that doesn't matter. It can be a soft top or the POE (port of entry) Wagon and the tailgate lock is the same (in 1994).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tailgate