Need to Bring a D-90 out of 2 year Storage... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:11 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Need to Bring a D-90 out of 2 year Storage...

I need to bring a D-90 out of an approximately two year storage. It has been garaged, in a non climate controlled garage, and was put away with the only preparation being fuel stabilizer added to the tank (initial storage was only supposed to be about 6 months). I'm looking for suggestions of what precautions to take to bring it out of hibernation with the least impact to all systems. Here is what I have considered, please feel free to comment on these ideas, and add your own, as well as experiences you may have had with vehicle resurrection after long term storage...

~> Drain fuel tank, replace with fresh fuel
~> New Fuel Filter
~> Soak cylinders down with a light grade machine oil, through spark plug holes, repeat several days in a row
~> Remove fuel pump fuse & coil lead, crank engine over a few times after each time doing so
~> Change engine oil after short drive
~> Change gear oils/swivel ball oil before driving
~> Check as thoroughly as possible for rodent infestation (not worried about this)
~> Drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

BEFORE YOU PUT ON THE POWER INSPECT THE WIRING FOR RODENT DAMAGE, especially behind the dash and behind the interior fuse panel.

We have repaired a good number of Defenders that where stored, then when they were put back into service by the owners they had electrcial fires because the mice had eaten a good bit of the wire insulation off the wires. Its good you aren't worried about this... but it would be my first concern. I've never seen a 90 burn to the ground because the fuel was old, but I have seen them burn due to rodent damage. We have another on the way to the shop right now and it sounds like rodent damage was the cause.

I'd also drop the engine oil before start up.
Don't forget the simple stuff like checking tires for dry rot, flushing the brake fluid if it is black, etc.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:34 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the added insights. I only mentioned that I was terribly worried about the rodent problem because the garage is in a built up urban environment, no food is stored in the garage, and there is daily traffic. I will do my best at looking for evidence of rodents though before reconnecting power.

On another note, would it be okay to drain the fuel tank by disconnecting the fuel line before the fuel filter and using the fuel pump to pump it out? And how does one dispose of stale gasoline? I also plan on oil line replacements shortly after brining her back to driving status, and I have a cross drilled input gear for the t-case I have had since before storage I want to install as well. I know I can do this through the PTO cover, but is it a difficult task?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Hi, I had my D90 in storage for two years non climate. Main problem was electricals and corrosion. Contacts ,relays,
fuse box. Of course I changed all fluids, and replaced the brake fluid. Body & chassi was gone over as well, since corrosion likes to start taking over when the auto is in situ. After clean up, waxoil inside cavities and out.
I also changed all plugs and wires, rotor cap, and hoses as the hoses were getting a little fried.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Don't think for a second that your amune from those little fuckers! One spark at my fuel pump & boom boom out goes my truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 resto.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	5786  
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Rodents turn up in places one might least expect. Given the risk tradeoff, it makes sense to look at the wiring.

A number of classic car sites have some pretty good generic tips on what steps can help when restarting a car from storage.

The six months turned into two years. Let me take a guess - military service?
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
years ago I had my series 2A parked outside on the property while waiting for a restore. When I finally paid attention to it and lifted the hood, there was a field mouse nest resting between the engine and the firewall, with mice, familly and all blinking at the light and too scared to move. I dropped the hood gently and went about my business on the truck. By the evening the mice were gone, so I removed the nest. Couldn't believe it!
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

For some reason rodents seem to love engine compartments. There just needs to be a food source next door, and they're good to go. In Land Rovers, they seem to love back by the left firewall, and in the space between the two cylinder heads. In other vehicles, I've found them nesting in the carburator. If the wiring doesn't start a fire, the nesting material does.

Definitely check this out.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Check all the oil levels and just start it with a fire extinguisher handy.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Here is what the little bastards will do to a sitting D90:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/152.html

and this one was a quick fix compared to others we have seen.

I agree with the engine compartment comment completely.
They love to nest under the intake on Rover V8s, so make sure you check there for sure.

Mice will inhabit a Series Rover faster than a Defender because they love the insulation unsed under a Series Rover headliner. I think it is their favorite food.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Thats exactly where the nest was!. Well now I feel better that I was gentle with the little...rats, at least they have good taste when it comes to shelter..
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Alright, you guys are scaring me with the rodent infestation stories...

Old September 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Wow, glad I searched and found this old thread. I'm pulling a D out of six month storage next week and never even thought to check for rodent infestation. That could've been a costly mistake....

The nest on Bowtracer's fuel tank is an image hard to forget.....

Thanks, D-90 Source...
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, we've had them eat wiring on brand new LR3's waiting to be sold at our off-site lot. At least twice now we have had system failures caused by them and had to order new wiring harnesses to repair them!
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

what can one do to keep the rodents away
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
what can one do to keep the rodents away
Keep some cats in the garage?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90