Need Suspension Ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:27 AM
Keebler
Kenneth Elliott
1994 D90 AA yellow (NAS)

Registry
Need Suspension Ideas

I am new to the Defender scene. My suspension is shot. I am looking to upgrade.
I was thinking about a 2-4 lift and setting up some new geometry. I have read things and seen alot about
"Safari Gard" yet I can not find what they are offering.
I have called ECR. However, the nice lady who answers the phone was less than helpful.

So Please, can someone point me in the right direction?

I have built a Jeep TJ W/ 5.7 HEMI 6spd manuel trans, 4.5 Rubicon express lift, King coil overs and custom dana 60's all around. In my garage.

Im not looking to go as Extreme with the Defender as i had with the Jeep. Though i do wish to do it right the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

SafariGard is out of business.

Check out www.rovertym.com. Their progressive springs are excellent, they also have nice control arms and trailing arms.

Also check out www.rockware.net

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Do you mean by "shot" that it needs all the ball joints and bushings replaced as well as shocks and springs? I would install a full set of polyurethane bushings (they come in several flavors of stiff) all new ball joints and go with no more than a 2 inch lift spring. For shocks you'll want a gas charged shock such as Bilstein. Don't forget the steering damper.
This will tighten up the suspension quite a lot. While you are at it be sure that the rest of the suspension such as the swivel ball preload and the prop shaft u joints are in good shape.
In general you don't need a high lift on the Defender unless your off-roading truly demands it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I am new to the Defender scene. My suspension is shot. I am looking to upgrade.
I was thinking about a 2-4 lift and setting up some new geometry. I have read things and seen alot about
"Safari Gard" yet I can not find what they are offering.
I have called ECR. However, the nice lady who answers the phone was less than helpful.

So Please, can someone point me in the right direction?

I have built a Jeep TJ W/ 5.7 HEMI 6spd manuel trans, 4.5 Rubicon express lift, King coil overs and custom dana 60's all around. In my garage.

Im not looking to go as Extreme with the Defender as i had with the Jeep. Though i do wish to do it right the first time.
I'd give a call out to Lucky8 and Keith over at RovingTracks. I've been on trail with Lucky8 a couple of times and they use and test what they sell so they will be able to give you ideas from mild to modded. Keith has been a big help for me but he sells more axles related items. But I would give him a holler for front end pieces like tie-rods. I've heard great things about Rovertym springs but have no experience.

I"m sure there are people at ECR that would have plenty of knowledge of what works and doesn't but they seem to be more in the business of "restoration" vs. mail order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Do you mean by "shot" that it needs all the ball joints and bushings replaced as well as shocks and springs? I would install a full set of polyurethane bushings (they come in several flavors of stiff) all new ball joints and go with no more than a 2 inch lift spring. For shocks you'll want a gas charged shock such as Bilstein. Don't forget the steering damper.
This will tighten up the suspension quite a lot. While you are at it be sure that the rest of the suspension such as the swivel ball preload and the prop shaft u joints are in good shape.
In general you don't need a high lift on the Defender unless your off-roading truly demands it.
Good points. There is more to the suspension besides the shocks and springs and might be good to get a baseline. I've been running 2" OME springs with OME shocks for the past few years. I am not that aggro off-road but like to have a little fun. It seems like there is a threshold at the 2" lift - any more than that and you'll need to be messing around a bit more with other components to get the proper geometry. Seems like you can fit up to a 35" without a ton of trimming. Definitely do a search here and on Pirate4x4.com LR forum: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26 Most of the guys on Pirate know a thing or 2 about suspension.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Most people prefer Original LR Rubber Bushings instead of the Polly stuff, at least for off-roading.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Most people prefer Original LR Rubber Bushings instead of the Polly stuff, at least for off-roading.
He has a Jeep. Those people go for the slime green and hot pink off road shiz. Red bushings will be killer on his rig.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Keebler
Kenneth Elliott
1994 D90 AA yellow (NAS)

Registry
LOL... Owe, glad to see you rover boys aren't buying into any stereotypes. I like rubber. Poly is nice but when it goes bad, it has no limp home capability.

I am toying with coil-over hoop design.
I appreciate the help.
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

I am will Bill on most everything I am running a mix of poly and OEM rubber on the suspension. I also went with a new drop arm and Equipe heavy duty front track rod and drag link (from Justin at Lucky 8). All rubber and ball joints have been replaced. Running a 2 inch OME lift and Bilsteins all around. This is my third or forth attempt to get the suspension right for my liking and I think I nailed it! O....since you are new to the forum or to 90s, get a front diff guard before you take the 90 offroad - this is a must!
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ken, welcome to the forums and ignore the cheap shots - we are not all Jeep haters.

I recommend seeing/driving a defender with a tall lift before committing, as well as wheel it as-is to see what it's capable of already. I have seen a few heavily lifted defenders not only perform poorly on road, but also off-road as well. There is a noticeable difference on-road between a stock D90 with anti-sway bars and one with a 2" lift and no sway bars - about as mild a lift as you can go before changing the geometries.

What's the intended use?

hth
charles
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
LOL... Owe, glad to see you rover boys aren't buying into any stereotypes. I like rubber. Poly is nice but when it goes bad, it has no limp home capability.
Exactly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions