need some wiring help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

need some wiring help

My electrical system is developing a mind of it's own. When I got it the wiring for the brake lights was disconnected at the pedal switch so I got some new round NAS style tail lights and wired everything up. Now when the lights are off and i depress the brakes the brake lights work but the headlights come on ever so dimly and the "headlight indicator light" lights up in the dash. I turn on the headlights, brake lights don't work anymore. Here is the cooky thing, when the lights are on and I turn off the key all the power goes off, lights and stereo but the motor wont shut down. I turn the key back on, turn off the lights and turn the key off and it works properly???..... WTF... I get it there is a ground problem somewhere or some kind of serious short, the problem is I have no idea where to start beside tracing the wires looking for some kind melted blob of plastic and coper. Any help getting me started would be greatly appreciated. I have this vision of standing by my truck all the lights flashing and a pile of wires on the ground, not good.

Thanks J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:53 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
This is an 85 with a 200 Tdi, right?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

yes, or close to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

You have a ground problem. The brake lights are going to ground through the headlights. And the ignition is grounding that way too keeping it running after you shut off the key. Chase down every ground wire you can find and make sure they are all connected to earth.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

there appears to be a ground in the rear of the tub below the tail lights on each side that all of the lights are attached to, is there more to it? it was all fine until I plugged in the brake light switch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring